Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery hardware Pr0n project

Country
    Croatia
    Region:
    Zagreb
    Feedback
    19 (100%)

Every journey starts with the first step.
    I've been delaying the first step of this project for too long.

Let's start.

To make a long story short, I'm making a working replica of Commodore 64C in 1:3 ratio, using a C64DTV joystick.

Here are a few components I'll be using. Instead of balsa, ABS plastic will be used.
    The way I'm going to do it will completely surprise you. I did not make any schematic of the result I'm aiming for. I'll be using just a mental picture to shape it.

These pieces of ABS plastic will form a bottom part of the case.

I'd like to retain a possibility to connect original joysticks and Commodore drives. But since there is not enough space in 1:3 model I'll have to reduce the outline of the connectors as much as possible. On the left is the standard D sub connector, and on the right is the space saving version of it.

Here is the C64 DTV board, released from it's original enclosure. I'll fit SD2IEC inside this case. SD cards will be inserted on the back. (like cartriges)

In the next post I'll put some pictures of the bottom case taking shape.
    Stay tuned.

Incoming ASROC! VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    GREECE
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    126 (100%)

a-haaaaaaaaa!
    Now you're talking! A few questions if i may..
    a. What monitor will you be using? Any tiny 5-7" dc one?
    b. What revision is your DTV?
    c. What are you planning to use for a keyboard?
    These are thoughts i have been processing for my DTV too...

Country
    Croatia
    Region:
    Zagreb
    Feedback
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by salaxi54 View Post
    a-haaaaaaaaa!
    Now you're talking! A few questions if i may..
    a. What monitor will you be using? Any tiny 5-7" dc one?
    b. What revision is your DTV?
    c. What are you planning to use for a keyboard?
    These are thoughts i have been processing for my DTV too...
    a) To make 1:3 replica of 1084 monitor, 4.3" TFT module would be a best fit. I didn't find the one I like yet. (I'll use a TV until then.)

b) I have all 3. (NTSC V1, and PAL V2 and V3) For this project I'll use V2 board with colour fix.

c) I'll make a custom PCB to hold membrane switches used in querty mobile phones. The keys will be made out of epoxy resin. I'll make a silicone mold to create them from a prototype made of wood or clay.
    How to create letters on the keys I don't know yet. Transparent decals?, laser?, something else... I'll see.

Incoming ASROC! VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    GREECE
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    126 (100%)

a. Sent you a link for what to look for. Just as an idea, but being ebay i made it pm. Sometimes you can find em real cheap.

b. Ok, mine's the same, a PAL v2

c. Ouch! lotsa work there! I'm sure you've seen Picodore, but unfortunately the Jornada keys don't match the layout of a C64...

Looking forward to see your work!

Country
    Croatia
    Region:
    Zagreb
    Feedback
    19 (100%)

a) Good Idea. I've found a few 1/2 pal resolution ones that would also do quite nice. However I'm aiming for full resolution pal monitor. Bad thing is, all new small monitors are made in 16:9 format nowdays. Anyway I'm not in a hurry so I'm sure perfect solution will present itself.

c) I was looking for already made 1/3 size keyboard, but had no luck. The keys on mobile phones (Nokia N900 for example) have the exact measuremets. but unfortunately usualy there are only 3 rows of keys on mobiles and their layout far away from the layout of C64 keyboard.
    The design of the keyboard PCB is very simple. With some luck, one layer board would be enough. I would attempt the creation of the board at home, but membrane switches require precision, insulation and gold plating, so I'll design them and let the profesionals create them for me. Minimum order is 10 I think, so in the end I might end up with more then one little Commodore 64.

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

Have you considered a membrane layout similar to the one they put into ZX Spectrums? At a push, you might be able to draw one out with a conductive ink pen. That way, you could mould the keys in silicone with a small silicone peg underneath to make the contact, just like those Nokia 3310 keypads they did some years back.
    The future's so Retr0bright, I gotta wear shades.....

As rkauer said:-
    "Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

Country
    Croatia
    Region:
    Zagreb
    Feedback
    19 (100%)

@Merlin: Yes, But I dismissed the idea because I'm not sure I'd like gummy keys on a C64.

No. The real reason is I would not be able to make silicone keyboard precise enough by myself. I was even looking at some companies that would make silicone key prototypes, but never asked for an offer. It seems it would cost a fortune.

Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

Unfortunately, the tooling costs for any plastics moulding project can be horrendous.

An idea (just thinking out loud for a second); it might prove more costly, but how about using mouse buttons underneath the keys? They are suitably small and could be positioned close enough together to create a keyboard layout. Etching a suitable circuit board to support the buttons in the right layout is possible.

The keys could be moulded from a wooden or epoxy putty 'master' and then used to make a female mould of the key button in plaster of Paris. You could then mould the keys in fibreglass resin (with a suitable coloured pigment) and attach them with a spot of superglue to the mouse buttons.

"Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

Incoming ASROC! VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    GREECE
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    126 (100%)

Merlin's mouse-switch idea is great! The hardest part would be creating the keys. A modeller would probably handle it easier, personally i would attempt to "sculpt" them out of solid wood, but it certainly is difficult to match every key...

Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

@ Salaxi

If he can make a suitable scale model of one of the keys, he could also maybe vacuum-form the key tops, to get a nice smooth finish from above, then fill them in with resin underneath, as it won't matter if it has bubbles in the mixture.

I used to use these techniques when I was making scale aircraft models in my early teens. Bubble canopies can be made by vacuum-forming.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast