Amiga 4000T Startup issue

noxenlux

Country
Beaverton, Oregon
I recently aquired an amiga 4000T that will boot to cli prompt, but not to workbench. I have tried the wb3.1 disks but still no go. Anyone have any ideas, or let me know if you need more information from me.

Re: Amiga 4000T Startup issue

Without knowing exactly what hardware you have in the A4KT, not being able to see your Startup-Sequence or User-Startup;

No dice guv! :wink:

For a starter though, removing the hard drive cable should allow the A4KT to show its Boot Logo screen. Alternatively, you could press both mouse ears & hold from a cold boot. Entering the early Startup Screen would allow you to disable any bootable partitions. Selecting DF0: as the boot device should allow the A4KT to show it's 3.1 Floppy Boot Logo.

If you have a Floppy Boot screen, something in your HW/SW configuration ain't right.

Moved it here:

Presuming you did get a boot screen:

A lot of the time in instances like this, the Miggy can appear to boot showing HD activity etc. But the screen remains blank....

Sounds daft, but the incorrect monitor driver in Devs:Monitors could be the culprit.

Look forward to more info! :)

The Wb disk boots to a blank Wb screen, no icons, but it is definately in something that looks like Wb. When I boot from HDD it goes all the way to a cli prompt. I am going to pull it all apart air it all out replug the cables in one by one... The neat thing about this amiga is I got it and two others for 20usd. Thanks again

I'd be visually checking everything is connected properly inside since you mentioned you paid so little for several of them & not knowing their history. As a matter of course, this would be the normal thing to do before turning on an unknown entity.
I've come across other platforms with cards just floating around in the case - AGP graphics.....how the...!?

Anyway, surmising everything is plugged in okay, what happens if you enter the early startup screen to disable the hard drive boot partition/s?
Is there DF0: showing with a Boot Priority of 5?

wb_30_1.gif

For doing this, the Amiga should just boot to the Insert Floppy Animation showing the 3.1 ROM info. This pic is the V2 ROM but it should be the same colour:

Amiga_kickstart2_boot_screen.png

It will say 3.1 instead of 2.0 & the version will be 40.70.

Apparently for the 4kt there was a special version of wb that had a library on it. Workbench.library, and sadly none of the workbench disks I was supplied with has that particular file on them. But yes everything looks the same as your screenies.

However my OS3.5 disc does. So I am going to try to create a rescue disk from that and see if I can get this beast booting

Good News on the Boot Screens. She's alive! :D

What hard drive partition names do you have & how many are Bootable?
Note the Priority's too!

I can get this to desktop for you with some further instruction no problems. :wink:

Making a boot disk could mess things up if the Booting Partitions Preferences are not right. Such as a Wrong monitor Driver in the Devs: Folder. Making a boot disk will use the hard drives current prefernces.

We need to boot with No Startup Sequence. Be sure to select the Boot Partition in the Left most section of hte options screen. Clicking in the main Window will disable it. Then on the main screen, select Boot with no startup Sequence.
At the Dos prompt, type the following:
Assign Env: Ram:
Assign T: Ram:
Assign Clipboards: Ram:
loadwb

If the screen goes blank, repeat & type:

dir Dev:Monitors

Report back what is listed please! :D

Still not able to boot, the files are to big for writing a disc on my 3000, so I am going to have to do it from my pc floppy (hope it works)

well no boot from the pc written disk... I just may toss the hdd into one of the amiga 3k's and seeing what it has on it.

.....but, can you move the mouse pointer to the bottom right of the screen, left click & hold & drag the Shell window to the top left of the screen? - Not too small though....

You might be able to see the desktop icons behind..........

Invalid resident library, does not go to WB after I type the Assigns, however if I just let it boot from disk it looks like this

nothing to click and drag sorry

Just for S&G's I put in one of my known working HDD's from one of my 3k's and I still get no boot, just an interlaced WB screen with no icons

Okay....

Back @ the Dos prompt, type the following:
Assign Env: Ram:
Assign T: Ram:
Assign Clipboards: Ram:

Then type ed s:starup-sequence

Save as ss.txt to DF0:

Then from the menu of Ed, open s:user-startup & save to DF0: as uss.txt

Copy & paste those results here please. :D

Here it is:

; $VER: Startup-Sequence_LD 40.3 (31.8.93)
; Startup-Sequence for low-density floppies

C:SetPatch QUIET
C:Version >NIL:
C:AddBuffers >NIL: DF0: 15
FailAt 21

C:MakeDir RAM:T RAM:Clipboards RAM:ENV RAM:ENV/Sys
C:Copy >NIL: ENVARC: RAM:ENV ALL NOREQ

Resident >NIL: C:Assign PURE
Resident >NIL: C:Execute PURE

Assign >NIL: ENV: RAM:ENV
Assign >NIL: T: RAM:T
Assign >NIL: CLIPS: RAM:Clipboards
Assign >NIL: REXX: S:
Assign >NIL: PRINTERS: DEVS:printers
Assign >NIL: KEYMAPS: DEVS:Keymaps
Assign >NIL: LOCALE: SYS:Locale
Assign >NIL: LIBS: SYS:Classes ADD
Assign >NIL: HELP: LOCALE:Help DEFER

IF NOT EXISTS SYS:L
Assign >NIL: L: Extras3.1:L DEFER
EndIF

IF NOT EXISTS SYS:Fonts
Assign FONTS:
EndIF

BindDrivers
C:Mount >NIL: DEVS:DOSDrivers/~(#?.info)

IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors
IF EXISTS DEVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
DEVS:Monitors/VGAOnly
EndIF

C:List >NIL: DEVS:Monitors/~(#?.info|VGAOnly) TO T:M LFORMAT "DEVS:Monitors/%s"
Execute T:M
C:Delete >NIL: T:M
EndIF

SetEnv Language "english"
SetEnv Workbench $Workbench
SetEnv Kickstart $Kickstart
UnSet Workbench
UnSet Kickstart

C:AddDataTypes REFRESH QUIET

IF "`C:Avail TOTAL`" GE "1250000" VAL
C:LoadResource LIBS:diskfont.library LIBS:iffparse.library LIBS:asl.library LIBS:commodities.library

C:IPrefs

IF NOT $Language EQ "english"
CD LOCALE:Catalogs/$Language
C:LoadResource Sys/workbench.catalog Sys/libs.catalog Sys/prefs.catalog Sys/commodities.catalog Sys/utilities.catalog
CD SYS:
EndIF
Else
C:IPrefs
EndIF

C:ConClip

Path >NIL: RAM: C: SYS:Utilities SYS:Rexxc SYS:System S: SYS:prefs SYS:WBStartup SYS:Tools SYS:Tools/Commodities

IF EXISTS S:User-Startup
Execute S:User-Startup
EndIF

Resident Execute REMOVE
Resident Assign REMOVE

C:LoadWB
EndCLI >NIL:

Back
Top Bottom