ZX Spectrum +2/+3 boards: a small guide

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
I know, mate. But the missing logic is just a pair of TTL chips and a ROM. :)

My friend, most of +2A Spectrum's actually have the FDD part cut completely away =(

The Spectrum +2A/B and +3 are part of the +5v/+12v /-12 switching power family (as opposed to the classic 9volt internally regulated family)

here is a +2A/B motherboard
plus2a_pcb.jpg

I have two +2a's here (one of them is my friend Beaker71's) and they are like the above, also my friend Yorkie4's is the same.

Here is a +3 motherboard
+3_inside_i1.jpg

As you can see the entire portion where the Zilog FDC and a smidge of supporting logic has been completely cut away.

Now, some of the later +2A/B Spectrum motherboards were in fact complete +3 motherboards, however they had the Zilog FDC and some supporting logic not installed on the motherboard (probably to save costs) .

Image missing in action

The irony is I was reviewing an image of these boards not so long ago - I shall keep looking for an image.

For the most part the +2A/B motherboards wont have the FDD option available to them, and those that do will require the hard to find Zilog FDC - although I seen replacement FDC's made from a WD1772/3 - apparently Atari ST's are a good source for these chips (*hehehe*)

However the upside of the +2A/B is that it uses the same ROM as the +3, which means you can easily add an 8bit IDE interface by a small very cheap to make adapter (only a 74LS10, BC327, a 100K resistor, a 40 pin IDE header and a 56 way Edge connector) oh an the +3e ROM =)

So to complete the ZX (9 Volt) family (and the post) -

Heres the classic 48K/48K+ Motherboard
55822563114626593.jpg

Heres the 128k (Toast Rack) Motherboard
spec128pcb.jpg

Here is the 128K +2 (gray model)
plus2_pcb.jpg

I hope that helps, the +2A/B Spectrum's are very exciting machines to be honest and I am sure that this will make its future owner very very happy.

Last edited:
The above post is so full of win that it deserves its own thread on the Oracle area.

Well done, Zetr0!

Well I can do a little and complete the pics by providing some pics of a Issue 2 ZX 128K +2A witch as the full +3 pcb but of course with the +3 logic removed from the motherboard.
This is in my possession and the RF as been removed due to really bad shape of it. The unit is a Spanish version +2A.
:)
Also have an English Issue 2 with socketed ram chips but pcb is cut as the one in the 1st post. All other +2A that I have is with the pcb cut and all English ones.

Attachments

• IMG_5870.jpg
    IMG_5870.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5871.jpg
    IMG_5871.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for posting that JLP, that's a great completion of the boards. For those that need full completion please have take a moment to review www.worldofspectrum.org there's an immense wealth of knowledge and camaraderie' there =)

BTW, did that Tea2000 chip ever make it too you.... I sent it the same time I think as some 74F74's to a fellow EAB'er in itally... alas he never got his chips =(

And to the staff member that split this from the sale thread: Cheers (y)

As you can see the entire portion where the WDC1773 FDD controller and a smidge of supporting logic has been completely cut away.

Now, some of the later +2A/B Spectrum motherboards were in fact complete +3 motherboards, however they had the WDC FDD controller and some supporting logic not installed on the motherboard (probably to save costs

That's interesting. So how does the +2A work with an external disk drive then? Did the 3" disk drives have all the necessary control logic inside the actual drive?

@Andy

That's interesting. So how does the +2A work with an external disk drive then? Did the 3" disk drives have all the necessary control logic inside the actual drive?

Alas my friend a +2A/B cannot use an FDD without replacement of the logic (if available on the motherboard) or by an adapter via the Z80 port.

Its not that difficult to add a Floppy Disk Drive to any spectrum - from the humble rubber key 48 - upto the +2A/B's, in fact the only difficult part is sourcing some of the components these days.

When I get caught up with some stuff I plan to make a Floppy Drive controller with a how-to

My miniature UHF Video Transmitter (ASTEC UM1233) made from a spare (modified) Sinclair Spectrum 48K RF module: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjnz7mOPIRw :LOL:

Never got round to including the sound; sourced separately in that video.

Just for fun. :D

LOL, glad I dont have a TV license - that Super Grass Suck LOL!!!

Awesomes stuff though m8y (y)

@Andy

Alas my friend a +2A/B cannot use an FDD without replacement of the logic (if available on the motherboard) or by an adapter via the Z80 port.

So it would seem. I had a good ol' peruse of my +2A manual (which for some odd reason, I hung on to, despite getting rid of everything else), the Amstrad-Approved™ method was to buy an Amstrad SI-1 interface and an Amstrad FD-1 diskdrive. It's been a long time!

Wonder why we didn't move this thread to Amioracle and stick it!

Back
Top Bottom