Retr0bright Support Thread

@ AndyLandy

TAED is in all of the Vanish Oxy laundry boosters; I'd suggest the Vanish Oxi Crystal White, see the picture.

Hydrogen Peroxide can be bought from Sally's Hairdressing Supplies, there's likely to be one in your area. They call it Developer in hairdressing circles and it's usually in a white or brown 1 litre bottle.

You only need Xanthan Gum if you want to make the gel version to paint onto larger surfaces.

Attachments

• vanishhomeproduct3.jpg
    vanishhomeproduct3.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2
What strength H2O2 is required? I have loads of contact lens solutions, some of which are peroxide-based, but I'm suspecting they're very very low concentration.

Well, ideally, you need about 10% strength and the maximum sold to Joe Public is 12%, as sold at Sally's. You can get weaker ones but it takes longer to treat parts.

@ AndyLandy

link-o-matic

There's a branch of Sally's in Southampton....
(y)

Does the parts I want to treat need to have clear sight to the UV-light or can i put stuff on top of each other to save space in the bowl?

You can put them in an opaque bowl, however, I would recommend that you stir them every hour or so, to ensure that all sides get treated. Just as with any normal light source, items in the 'shade' don't get touched.

You can get a 'beefed up' effect by using aluminium foil to reflect more UV light back into the container from above, like a mirror. Some people have done this when they have used a washing-up bowl.

A large glass or clear plastic bowl with tin foil on the outside would be the absolute ideal, as UV light would be reflected from below as well as above.

I hope that you can understand what I mean.

Last edited:
No problem. It's probably worth looking up second-hand aquariums in the local papers too, as these would be tailor-made for this and they come in different sizes.

;)

Let me undenderstand, the rigth mix for a perfect retr0brigth:

H2O2 as Sally's
Vanish Oxi Crystal White
UV light

What percentage of Vanish I have to add in 1 liter of H2O2 (for example)? :roll:

DON'T use more than 1/2 teaspoonful (about 10 grammes) of Vanish Oxy Crystal White per litre, or it will foam all over the place, like a burst sofa.....I wouldn't be doing this near carpets either....:blink:

About to finally break my Retr0bright cherry in the next week, have loads to do but have a few monitors to do as well. How have people found the best way to do do them? one side at a time?

Most people who have tackled monitors have stripped the guts out and used the gel version as it goes a lot further when you paint it onto large areas.

Another question: once used a retrobrigth solution can be re-used or it must get away? Is it a single use solution or the mixture can be used more than one time?

Once you've added the Oxy, it's a one-way trip; the peroxide will react until it's all used up and has turned to water. A made up solution may last two days or so depending on temperature, but after that it's spent.

I'm using 35% and mixing it 1 part h2o2 and 2 parts water.
You can start with a high concentration as long as you dilute it before using.

Later,
dabone

Whats the benefit of using Oxy?

I just treated my A1200 keyboard with ~10% H2O2 and UV-light (NO Oxy). Works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom