Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1023

Thread: Retr0bright Support Thread

  1. #1011
    Vedran1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    Croatia
    Region:
    Peljesac
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4
    Feedback
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuneRider View Post
    I used the Salon Care 40 creme that many have suggested and even though it worked on the keyboard fairly well last month this is what it did to the case and mouse today after only two hours.

    Anyone else ever see this?



    Attachment 94193
    Have you resolved the issue or it is ireversible? I was also using 12% creme peroxide with fairly good results on my Amiga 500 case and keyboard. Few hardly noticeable whiter spots remained however but it is really hard to see it.

  2. #1012
    mattsoft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    168
    Feedback
    22 (100%)

    Default

    I use a Salon Care 40 creme as well and have good results. Then today I retrobrited 2 monitor cases and got the dreaded swirl effect. I can't understand why -- we have weak Northern sun in Seattle, the cases were well cleaned first then well wrapped in plastic, but they developed strong swirls. Totally bummed!

    The weird thing, is the keyboard and Amiga case next to it came out great using exact same technique.

    Anyway to get rid of the swirl besides sand or paint?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vedran1973 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneRider View Post
    I used the Salon Care 40 creme that many have suggested and even though it worked on the keyboard fairly well last month this is what it did to the case and mouse today after only two hours.

    Anyone else ever see this?



    Attachment 94193
    Have you resolved the issue or it is ireversible? I was also using 12% creme peroxide with fairly good results on my Amiga 500 case and keyboard. Few hardly noticeable whiter spots remained however but it is really hard to see it.
    Last edited by mattsoft; 17th March 2017 at 00:38.

  3. #1013
    jpolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Country
    United States
    Region:
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    33
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

    Default

    I used Salon Care 40 creme on this A500 case (which was only mildly yellowed to begin with), never letting it dry out, no saran wrap or anything, under blacklights for a few hours, it looks terrible: http://i.imgur.com/bE3Y3ER.jpg

    Is there any to fix this or is my case now permanently damaged?

    Edit: I should note that it was not apparent it was turning out like this when I was periodically checking on it. It looked perfectly fine even when I washed it off while it was wet. Once I dried it the damage became apparent. So I guess a warning, don't trust how it looks from just wiping off some creme, wash it completely and dry it.
    Last edited by jpolo; 21st March 2017 at 03:15.

  4. #1014
    Amibayer! demolition's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,844
    Feedback
    50 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpolo View Post
    Is there any to fix this or is my case now permanently damaged?
    Unfortunately I think that is permanently damaged. I have an A500+ with the same marbled look, and it will be subject to being painted black at some point..
    A1200 (NOS) : 030 33MHz 128MB fast RAM (ACA1232) : Indivision AGA MkII : 8GB CF : RR USB : Ethernet
    A600 #1 : 68080 V2 : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : Indivision ECS : 4GB CF : RR USB
    : Ethernet | A600 #2 : 010 : 2MB chip
    A500 : 68000 42MHz : 1MB chip : 8MB fast : 4GB CF | A500+ : 68080 V2 : 128MB fast : 2MB chip : 16GB SD

  5. #1015
    jpolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Country
    United States
    Region:
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    33
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

    Default

    That's extremely frustrating. In the US A500s are extremely hard to come by and this is a PAL model I imported a long time ago. It didn't even look that bad and I feel really stupid for trying to improve it now. To anyone reading please be careful with this stuff, even if you're meticulous about it you can ruin hardware that's no longer being made and currently sells for insane prices. People will buy a yellowed machine but nobody will buy one that's obviously been damaged by chemicals

  6. #1016
    djos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    Australia
    Region:
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,030
    Feedback
    12 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpolo View Post
    I used Salon Care 40 creme on this A500 case (which was only mildly yellowed to begin with), never letting it dry out, no saran wrap or anything, under blacklights for a few hours, it looks terrible: http://i.imgur.com/bE3Y3ER.jpg

    Is there any to fix this or is my case now permanently damaged?

    Edit: I should note that it was not apparent it was turning out like this when I was periodically checking on it. It looked perfectly fine even when I washed it off while it was wet. Once I dried it the damage became apparent. So I guess a warning, don't trust how it looks from just wiping off some creme, wash it completely and dry it.
    My theory is that it's caused by oils or nicotine etc on the surface of the plastic, it's one reason I use the Vanish products as they have detergents which will dissolve any substances you missed during the cleaning process (i use the dishwasher on low heat and eco mode).
    500 w/ KS1.3/3.1, 1Mb Chip-Ram, CF-IDE w/4MB Fast-Ram, FDD Selector, HxC RevC Floppy emulator Amiga 600 w/ KS1.3/3.1, 2Mb Chip-Ram, 1GB CF-HDD 1200 w/ KS3.1, ACA1220 26Mhz 128MB w/ RTC, 4GB CF-HDD, Roland MT-32 MIDI Synthesiser 64 w/ 1541 Ultimate-II + Tape Adapter, JiffyDOS, 1541 Disk Drive, 1531 Datasette, Flyer Net Modem

  7. #1017
    comraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Country
    United States
    Region:
    California
    Posts
    353
    Feedback
    25 (100%)

    Default

    I use Clairol Pure White 40, and pre-clean the surfaces with baby wipes and then dry it off with a microfiber cloth before retrobriting.

    I got the swirl look once on a case that was very yellow. It ended up looking like swiss cheese or something with some parts white and some yellow. I rinsed the pieces, cleaned them again with baby wipes and dried, and re-applied retrobrite to both the surface and to the saran wrap and put it back in the sun. After another few hours, everything cleared up just fine.

  8. #1018
    mattsoft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    168
    Feedback
    22 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by djos View Post
    My theory is that it's caused by oils or nicotine etc on the surface of the plastic, it's one reason I use the Vanish products as they have detergents which will dissolve any substances you missed during the cleaning process (i use the dishwasher on low heat and eco mode).
    I suspect you are correct. Even after cleaning a monitor case and retrobriting it, i decided to soak it in vinegar and low and behold, i got more yellowy gunk off of it. some of the yellow was clearly additional nicotine or some other dirt layered on the plastic.
    Last edited by mattsoft; 14th April 2017 at 21:54.

  9. #1019
    Hemdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Bavaria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    215
    Feedback
    3 (100%)

    Default

    I removed the yellowing of a TO8.

    I used my alltime favourite, a german mould remover called "Mellerud Schimmelentferner Aktivgel". This is the version with hydrogen peroxide.

    TO8 before:



    The TO8 after:







    I only sprayed the case parts once (all keys too) so that everything is covered well. After this i placed them in the sun for a couple of hours (the TO8 about 5 hours) and washed off the remaining fluid.

    You should note, that there are many different conditions of the plastics and beside of this ... white is not white, grey is not grey and so on ...
    Last edited by Hemdale; 15th April 2017 at 10:56.
    THOMSON MO5 MO5E MO6 TO7 TO7-70 TO8 TO8D TO9 MATRA Alice 4k
    ACORN Electron A3000 BBC Master 128 Micro Model B SINCLAIR Spectrum +2 +2A ZX81
    AMSTRAD CPC464 CPC6128 ATARI 800XL 520ST 520ST+ 1040STF 1040STFM Mega 1 ORIC 1 Atmos
    TEXAS INSTRUMENTS Ti99/4A MSX Sony Hit Bit HB-75D TANDY CoCo2 COMMODORE VIC20 C16 C64C VEB KC85/3


  10. #1020
    Amibayer! Methanoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    England
    Region:
    Herts
    Posts
    400
    Feedback
    26 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mattsoft View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by djos View Post
    My theory is that it's caused by oils or nicotine etc on the surface of the plastic, it's one reason I use the Vanish products as they have detergents which will dissolve any substances you missed during the cleaning process (i use the dishwasher on low heat and eco mode).
    I suspect you are correct. Even after cleaning a monitor case and retrobriting it, i decided to soak it in vinegar and low and behold, i got more yellowy gunk off of it. some of the yellow was clearly additional nicotine or some other dirt layered on the plastic.
    Probably best to dishwasher and vinegar wash it before retrobriting I reckon

Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Retr0bright Mk. 2 - Ideas Thread
    By Merlin in forum AmiOracle
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22nd December 2009, 08:37

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •