Blizzard SCSI-IV kit (1230scsi.device)... is it bootable?

Megatron-UK

Country
UK
Region
Durham/Newcastle
I have a SCSI-IV kit attached to my 1260, it holds an additional 64MB simm and I have a SCSI CD and new 36GB Seagate Cheetah hanging from it.

The CD and HDD both work - using hdtoolbox device=1230scsi.device I was able to partition and then format the HDD using SFS as per my existing boot device (a CF card on the A1200 IDE header).

However, I'd like, if possible, to remove the CF card (and use it only as a transfer medium) and instead boot from the SCSI HD. Is this possible? I'm currently running KS3.1 and OS3.9.

OFC it will boot :)
I'm booting a 16GB CF card mounted on an ACard bridge on my BPPC's SCSI. I don't see a reason why that would be different on 1230/1260's SCSI

Ok, that confirms my thoughts - now to figure out *why* it doesn't appear to boot then!

I've had about enough of trying to get the mediator to work :censored:, so I may just rip it out and start from scratch again and install a plain WB3.1 setup straight to the SCSI HD.

Since I can't remember, does the 1230/1260 SCSI module has a pre-boot SCSI Menu like BPPC does pressing ESC (iirc) to be able to check out the options?
(I had a SCSI module some time ago but never tried it with SCSI disk on :( )

If I understand you right, you would like to boot from your 1230scsi and not fro the internal CF-card on the IDE port of the Amiga 1200?

In HDToolbox you set which drive that should be bootable and not. Your SCSI drives "System" partition should be set to bootable and the internal CF-card should not be.

Then your computer will boot from the scsi drive.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've now done a fresh install of WB3.1 on the 36GB SCSI disk attached to the SCSI-IV card.

I did a FFS partition at the beginning of the drive of 1GB using "hdtoolbox device=1230scsi.device" from the WB3.1 install floppy and set the boot flag - I will partition the rest of the drive and format the rest with SFS once I've overlaid OS3.9.

It's a lot faster than a CF drive running on PIO :)

I initially got 3.7MBytes/sec in asynchronous mode, and now almost 8MBytes/sec in synchronous (set at startup using myunitcontrol). The CF device was around 900KB-1MB/sec :D

That's pretty great considering the theoretical limits are 5 MB/sec for asynchronous mode and 10 MB/sec for synchronous mode (in the case of a Narrow Fast SCSI bus as found in the SCSI-KIT).
Now if you take into account that the SCSI bus must switch to asynchronous mode some of the time for the transmission of SCSI commands and then again to synchronous mode for the actual requested data transfer, thus wasting some of the bandwidth, I doubt any further tweaking could get you a lot higher than the 8 MB/sec you already have.
In short, cool! :)

Around 8 MB/sec is not bad for A1200, I think. But, for me, the advantege is to free the CPU from r/w operations.

With SCSI, all system works much better with multitasking apps.

Sorry for digging out this old thread but I have a similar problem with my A1200 equipped win an 1230-IV and Blizzard SCSI expansion.

I prepared a 32Gb CF with WinUAE with 3 partitions (1st one within the first 1024 cyl limit) using PFS3AIOds latest rev (v19). I prepared it with HDToolBox and modified ToolType (1230scsi.device - v8.5).

I am unable to boot the CF in SCSI chain WITHOUT another CF card (even without an Amiga compatible partition - right now FAT32 formatted...) connected to onboard IDE.

Without a CF connected to the IDE port, the CF connected to the SCSI2IDE adapter simply isn't recognized and the A1200 restarts over and over.

Can someone help me?

Kindly,

Mauro

Does the a1200 keep rebooting or does it go to the kickstart screen asking you for a floppy disk?

Sorry for digging out this old thread but I have a similar problem with my A1200 equipped win an 1230-IV and Blizzard SCSI expansion.

I prepared a 32Gb CF with WinUAE with 3 partitions (1st one within the first 1024 cyl limit) using PFS3AIOds latest rev (v19). I prepared it with HDToolBox and modified ToolType (1230scsi.device - v8.5).

I am unable to boot the CF in SCSI chain WITHOUT another CF card (even without an Amiga compatible partition - right now FAT32 formatted...) connected to onboard IDE.

Without a CF connected to the IDE port, the CF connected to the SCSI2IDE adapter simply isn't recognized and the A1200 restarts over and over.

Can someone help me?

Kindly,

Mauro

Does the a1200 keep rebooting or does it go to the kickstart screen asking you for a floppy disk?

Can someone help me?

Kindly,

Mauro

Right now it keeps resetting BUT in one particular situation it loaded the KS screen, I don't remember in which case though...

Some additional infos: I installed ClassicWB on the IDE2SCSI CF and in the S-S sequence I added C:softscsi to soft-update onboard BlizzardSCSI ROM to the 8.5 release (originally v8.2).

EDIT #2: Even though I prepped the CF with PFS3AIO filesystem under WinUAE, when I use it in the A1200, after a successful boot (with a CF card connected to the IDE port), in HDToolBox (1230scsi.device in Tool Type) -> Partition Drive -> Add/Update -> Update Filesystem, it reports l:FastFyleSystem and NOT l:pFS3AIO. Is this normal?

Of course I've put both PFS3AIO and PFS3AIO-CUSTON in L.

M.

M.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom