another rusty A4000 restoration

Thanks to both @Amstrad and @BLTCON0 :)

At this point few things to reach the end, I've to do something with the hard drive holders as are also somewhat rusty, don't know if do the anti rust & repaint mantra to them or try to gather another ones in better shape.

Also retrobright of the plastics and finally an overhaul of a keyboard, I've three candidate Keyboards:

- The original one, SP layout, rubber cone type and with some keys that didn't work, also the case was very tatty & badly yellowed but the keys are ok as were all removed and stored on a drawer long ago (don't ask why :nuts:) .

- An A2000 Keyboard internals (the one that I've used previously the lyra adapter that I use today) also SP layout and rubber cone type with some failing keys, this can be a good parts donor (for carbon contacts and such).

- An A4000T keyboard (A.Technologies), UK layout and metal springs type, some keys are dodgy, well this one can't be a parts donor as the key anchors and the carbon contacts are not the same than the previous ones but the good part is that the case is almost perfect, a bit yellowed but dent & scratch free so this will be the donor for the case and a perfect candidate for retrobright, it lacks the commodore badge but who cares. :p

Fun isn't it ? some big amount of patient and time will be needed again , this project is more like a penitence than a hobby. :LOL:

Last edited:
@lostrego
Of course you must restore the existing hard drive cage! It's just too easy getting another one :-D

In what way is the A4000T key design different? Can you post a photo of the stuff you mention? The only difference I've seen in the Mitsumi design is A500 style keys have a mixed square+round sleeve + matching key anchor, while A2000 style keys (the grainy ones) have a square sleeve all the way + matching anchor. Did they use the A500 style keys in that A4000T keyboard?

Exactly.

On earlier A4000Ds they used A2000 style keyboards (large circuit board with no membrane and key retrocess by rubber cones).

On later A4000Ds and almost every 4000T the A500 style was used (with mebrane and key retrocess by metal springs).

Last edited:
Hi all, I've almost forgot to update this project so here goes a quick update:

It's almost finished only left putting an original keyboard in working order, do some internal cabling (the FDD drive isn't connected to anything :p), some missing screws for holding zorro cards backplates an minor cosmetic things (stickers etc...).

BTW here gose a pair of quick pics of it running with the case lid closed for its first time over a decade! :

SCam_20121203_231030_res.jpg

And:

SCam_20121203_231055_res.jpg

Finally I had to replace its front fascia as the one it had was a bit dented, this one is a bit yellower but its yellowing is uniform so it's a perfect candidate for retrobright once springtime arrives. :cool:

I had also to buy the specific floppy drive bay cover for full height drives as this 4000 originally mounted the taller chinon FB-357A drive and now uses the FZ-357A which is single height, now it makes a perfect fit.

Also I've found the "rare" original 5.25 bay cover lost in a drawer at my parent's house (along the case lid that was also there).

Now it became very reliable I've done some test letting it working for more than 24 hours doing intensive CPU tasks and runs like a charm.:)

Until next update. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the recent updates (y)

If you want to do the retr0bright before the spring you can always buy a UV bulb :)

Thanks for sharing the recent updates (y)

If you want to do the retr0bright before the spring you can always buy a UV bulb :)

I'm considering it but I was told that it is way slower than doing it with natural sunlight, I'll do some research though. :coffee:

Slower is better, believe me.

Then a fine lacquer spray over the resulting treatment to avoid the yellowing return.

Slower is better, believe me.

Then a fine lacquer spray over the resulting treatment to avoid the yellowing return.

Thanks rkauer for your (always) wise advice (y), I've to do some in deep study of the retr0bright thing as I'm a complete n00b on that matter :unsure:, I've already some of the items needed as a bottle of 120 vol peroxide (that I've to dilute, obviously) and some advice from a local friend that have done It successfully to an A1200 and a mac classic with superb results, time will tell but I'll take it with calm, is not an urgent priority now.

And for lacquer do you mean the normal lacquer used for paint finishing (i.e. the ones that come on spray bombs) or any other kind ?

One of the best threads ever. Thanks my friend, great job!!!

Thank you for your support. (y)

Thread revival alert :D

This is epic! I wish that I saw this post back in late 2017 because I acquired a very nasty A4000D, in a realy bad way, rusted to hell and fubard motherboard, dead psu. So I began tearing it all down. I am going to do the same as you paint wise, spraying of the chassis. But its the back I/O sticker... I tried to pull mine off and split it :( it was already in bad shape as it was but I was rather peeved about it at the time. I will never find an orginal so need to re-create it somehow.

Last edited:
Oh man, I've almost forgot this one. :LOL:

The sticker removal part was a bit tricky, the key is using the worst, oldest and bluntest knife you have laying around and a gentle dose of heat (a regular hair dryer should do the job) and peel it reapplying heat frequently, must be done very slowly and carefully, specially on its narrower part, the one located at the RGB, audio and keyboard ports.

Maybe you can manage to recreate a replica, it seems doable with a sheet of color and thickness correct vinyl sticker, then printing the ports labels in a similar font and finally cutting it using the old one as a template, maybe the printing part is the most difficult as you'll have to calculate the right proportions and places of every label.

Anyway good luck with your project, that 4000 also deserves some TLC for sure, It would be nice if you post some pictures of the process :)

And as a thread revival and a 6 year follow up report... :ROTFLOL2:, the subject of this restoration worked flawlessly all those years until yesterday that got a fault on the RGB video output as seen here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?103016-Amiga-4000-weak-video-problem

:dry:

I'll try to fix it as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom