uIEC/SDD from Jim Brain

bobsmith2012

AmiBayer
Country
Australia
Region
Windsor, Victoria
Really starting to wish I almost hadn't looked at his site, but now can't make up my mind between a zoom floppy and the uIEC, will probably end up with both and a cartridge expnder but asking for opinions on which one is "more" useful.

Also with the uIEC has anyone found a case that it fits in ?

I found a nice case for mine...

:D

dscn3418.jpg

That's it located right above the cassette port. I only have 1 disk change button. (foward in list).

Later,
dabone

While that is a nice case you have it in dabone, I have 2 C128's so want to be able to use it on both but haven't seen one in an external case, and with the new daughter card it might be even more difficult.

The choice is easy, depending on one thing. Do you want to use real floppy disks most of the time or do you want to use D64 images? The ZoomFloppy is pretty much made for reading from or writing to floppy disks. If you just want to be able to copy a D64 to an SD card and use it then the uIEC is the way to go. :)

I've got all the items you've mentioned and they are all top notch devices.

Good luck!

Heather

Really starting to wish I almost hadn't looked at his site, but now can't make up my mind between a zoom floppy and the uIEC, will probably end up with both and a cartridge expnder but asking for opinions on which one is "more" useful.

Also with the uIEC has anyone found a case that it fits in ?

The new units will fit in a Hammond 1551 case.

Jim

---------- Post added at 05:52 ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 ----------

While that is a nice case you have it in dabone, I have 2 C128's so want to be able to use it on both but haven't seen one in an external case, and with the new daughter card it might be even more difficult.

You can still get the old daughtercard, if desired.

Many folks looking to put it in a case add a 1x13 connector to their order and a 48" IEC cable. They then cut the cable in half, wire it to the 1x13 and then they can put the unit in a tiny case that does not need to be tall enough to handle the IEC connector on the daughtercard.

SkyDivinGirl has such a cable, maybe she will upload a picture. In any even, I recommend buying a daughtercard anyway, as you cna test your wiring against a known working setup.

Jim

Thanks for the information on the case, was a bit worried of the idea of having a naked pcb and moving it between computers.

I'm redoing the floors in my house at the moment so everything is semi-packed away. I will try to find the cable that Jim mentioned and take a picture as soon as I can. It really is a slick way to make an external unit much more compact. :)

Heather

Back
Top Bottom