I think I f*&$%ked up badly

jvdw007

Country
UK
Region
Hampshire
Received my brand new Indivision ECS today. Got head over heels about getting it set up. I soon realised that the ACA630 was in the way, by a small amount. I then got the bright spark idea of filing away a bit of the edge of the ECS circuit board, right by the VGA connection, so I can make it fit.

Now, the problem is that I did not test it beforehand, ie removing the ACA630, to see if it worked, but let me put it this way, it's not displaying anything ECS-related to me. I still get my regular Denise display on the Co-Ax cable out to my telly, but nothing comes up on my LCD monitor. I have tried two different VGA cables, and two different LCD monitors.

I've added pictures to show what I did :oops: Sorry if they're not very clear..

Please tell me: Did I destroy it or if it can be fixed!! :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Attachments

• IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0409.JPG
    IMG_0409.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 7
It looks like you've filed away one of the tracks leading to the black socket

If you can find out where the track originally went, perhaps you can solder a wire to make the connection

Out of couriosity, why would you want to go crazy on the indy ecs? Mine fits perfectly with the a603, adapter to allow diskdrive and aca630? and it fits even more perfectly if you got the a604 adapter.

That looks pretty bad, you've filed away where the VGA connector goes through the PCB/Tracks. Maybe it can be fixed with jump wires?

Ouch! :wooha:

Has anyone got an Indivision ECS that is not currently in use, that could maybe buzz out the socket connections, to the nearest component to each pin of the socket with a multimeter?

It's definitely jumper wire time and your warranty has gone right down the gurgler....

oh, you should not have done that

oh, you should not have done that

Maybe just ask Jens ... He should be able to tell you how to jump wire.. the whole thing is ill fitting if you ask me... lovers and haters, I still cant believe how respected fellow members say this is fitting... I just cannot find out myself nothing is fitting properly if you ask me... but some positive voices are selling by now so...:eek:

I am not a real fan of this type of setup but mine works like this

this is my way:

not perfect but it works the a 604 is of course probably better, but after investing this money, it goes to a stop ...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Ouch! :wooha:

Has anyone got an Indivision ECS that is not currently in use, that could maybe buzz out the socket connections, to the nearest component to each pin of the socket with a multimeter?

It's definitely jumper wire time and your warranty has gone right down the gurgler....

On top no circuit to be seen...

It's a double -sided board, Jurgen; if I had one, I'd be buzzing the connections out myself...:(

Is it an optical illusion or in the first photo is the Indivision one pin too far to the right on the A603?

Looks lined up on photo 3.

Mine fits 100% without issues, with Kippers adapter:

IMG_1953.jpg

Cheap and perfect solution (y)

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=18733

@ jvdw007

Some advice; don't touch it, put it down and walk away from it slowly... then have some patience, while we try to rescue you from a very expensive mistake.

This thread maybe needs a "Graphic Content" warning on it.....

/Merlin orders some Mind Bleach for kawazu...

fitzsteve: I believe you mate, but I hate the idea of using a second party method, to solve something that should fit in first place, nothing personal my friend.(y)

I cannot get beeps in the surrounding area, I even have some track dammage, but it is still working...:bowdown:

Sorry for this :eek::oops:

The tracks are so small I would not attemp to solder it.

Anyhow a picture maybe somebody has an idea this is my board and still working..

@ Jurgen

/Outhouse-Rat-O-Vision On.....:ninja:

If you look closely to the right of the resistor packs at the bottom of the board, there is a track that leads to a connection just below where the legend 'C10' is written, just to the right of C24. That links to pin 4 of that socket (looking right to left with the red as Pin 1) and the track from pin 4 goes right around the edge of the board.

I'm certain that he's filed through that track and it will need a jumper wire from that via to pin 4. There may be others, but I'll need to see the other side of the board...

Edit: Has anyone got some links to hi-res pictures of this board?

I'm not 100% about this, but there does appear to be another track on the other side of the board that runs around the edge and (possibly) connects to a via marked V3.

Without some hi-res pictures I can't help much further, although I reckon that some 'ghetto modding' with some jumper wires may get this working again.

Haha excellent. I'm loving it all. Was it all worth it.. still, no :wooha:

Anyway, I got out my big 'un (erm) and took some high res photos to see if this helps.

PS. I only noticed the lines after the filing occurred and it wouldn't boot up..
And I'm sorry to say, but I tried for a good 10 mins before I decided to file it, as it simply did not fit with the ACA630 in place. The chip actually protrudes slightly out underneath the ACA's heatsink on top and it's this that stopped it from going in properly.
1. If I tried fitting the ECS after the A603 was plugged in, the ECS would not fit into the pin sockets due to ACA blockage.
2. Fitting the ECS to the A603 and then try squeezing it into the Amiga expansion slot amounted to the same deal.. no fit due to blockage.
This is why I resorted to filing..

However, I did not expect any lines to be right on the edge.. 'Spensive lesson learnt..

Attachments

• IMG_3927.jpg
    IMG_3927.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3928.jpg
    IMG_3928.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3929.jpg
    IMG_3929.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 12
I'm not 100% about this, but there does appear to be another track on the other side of the board that runs around the edge and (possibly) connects to a via marked V3.

Without some hi-res pictures I can't help much further, although I reckon that some 'ghetto modding' with some jumper wires may get this working again.

This is probably solvable, but I do not see how right now... The tracks you mentioned I scratched carefully. But not giving up my personal board, it is so fragile...:oops:

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Haha excellent. I'm loving it all. Was it all worth it.. still, no :wooha:

Anyway, I got out my big 'un (erm) and took some high res photos to see if this helps.

PS. I only noticed the lines after the filing occurred and it wouldn't boot up..
And I'm sorry to say, but I tried for a good 10 mins before I decided to file it, as it simply did not fit with the ACA630 in place. The chip actually protrudes slightly out underneath the ACA's heatsink on top and it's this that stopped it from going in properly.
1. If I tried fitting the ECS after the A603 was plugged in, the ECS would not fit into the pin sockets due to ACA blockage.
2. Fitting the ECS to the A603 and then try squeezing it into the Amiga expansion slot amounted to the same deal.. no fit due to blockage.
This is why I resorted to filing..

However, I did not expect any lines to be right on the edge.. 'Spensive lesson learnt..

I did see two lines before deciding not to cut it... Anywhow Jens should help you... He knows his customers... Ask friendly problably he solves this for you..

Thanks for all the help guys, and jvdbossc (y)

The tracks are insanely tiny and I'm not really good at soldering as it is..

Trust my enthusiasm and excitement to destroy my enjoyment ..

Anyway I'll email Jens and see what he says..

Back
Top Bottom