Building a full-sized cockpit

Lots of progress on the cockpit front since my last post! Here's the landing gear handle assembly lit up:

LG39_zpsehrtyzey.jpg

and the whole thing

LG41_zpsxxlvqhj7.jpg

Then i started sculpting the throttle arm assembly, of course out of wood again.

ARM%201_zpsmc60cyci.jpg

ARM%202_zpssqugwnnk.jpg

ARM%203_zps1rzsw3cc.jpg

ARM%204_zps1b0ntyke.jpg

Used a long drill to open a cabling hole through the arm:

ARM%208_zpswj1y1szn.jpg

ARM%207_zpssvf2tvgv.jpg

ARM%209_zpsoyuijylv.jpg

and continued shaping the object

ARM%2010_zpshsuum4wi.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I then strengthened it with fiberglass sheet:

ARM%2014_zps5ae3di9v.jpg

And after lots of sanding, sealing etc. i painted it

ARM%2016_zps4jcfkxdu.jpg

ARM%2017_zpsq3ulowlm.jpg

Here's some parts of the assembly i built out of aluminum to attach the throttle quadrant:

ARM%2018_zpsah4atsiw.jpg

ARM%2020_zpsi5o7rjjv.jpg

ARM%2021_zpsw9hhw7jn.jpg

The toothed disc is the friction disc. Here's how the quadrant assembly will fit on the existing controller:

ARM%2023_zpsc5u2nsza.jpg

Needs some finishing touches!

Last edited:
Nice progress there!

Btw, you can find the gameport version of CH Combat stick relatively cheap from the other bay, although I think you had made good progress with your grip already.

As usual it is looking amazing (y)

If you need some simple IO for buttons / analog inputs I can help you out with an Arduino (HID) USB interface. I already have wired and wireless sketches coded. I am happy to help, PM me if interested :)

Thank you both for your comments! @Bastich: i might as well "bother" you on that! I was thinking of utilizing something like the USB interface i put in the arcade cabinet, but would require something more complex..
Anyway, here's another part of the build. I got me a regular 3M protection mask:

MASK%20A_zpsv3alpy17.jpg

and have been working to bring it up to a pilots' mask look:

MASK%20E_zpsoszdq4uk.jpg

MASK%20F_zpsp4mtqosn.jpg

MASK%20G_zps7ctrv66t.jpg

Got me some 1mm rubber sheet

MASK%20J_zpsypawgfmr.jpg

and started covering parts

MASK%20O_zpsjenkrhhc.jpg

MASK%20P_zpshhltmohq.jpg

MASK%20Q_zpspg96csa7.jpg

The plastic filter cover is an accessory from tent tubing..

MASK%20R_zps3yashwar.jpg

Lots of epoxy and thin ply later.

MASK%20S_zpsdhp5or5s.jpg

MASK%20U_zpspiuzp8bg.jpg

MASK%20V_zpspxv22abh.jpg

MASK%20X_zpsdwvfeard.jpg

MASK%20Y_zpstmizfn1f.jpg

MASK%20Z2_zpsun5yuqbs.jpg

MASK%20Z5_zpsu09srczt.jpg

MASK%20Z7_zpsosjmtbzi.jpg

Still needs some work on minor details. :)

Are you going to mount a microphone inside it?

Bryce.

@Bryce: That's the plan! I got me some intercom set long ago, when i was planning to make this a two-seater rig, but i'm still not sure what i'll use. However... when things get better, (space-wise) i do intend to make my pit a two-seater. I'm not sure i mentioned this before, but i got the pit 'stationed' elsewhere, and bring things at my current home to work on.

I haven't updated this in a long time, mostly due to image hosting BS from photobucket and postimg. They both make your life harder...
Anyway, i've had lots of progress since, and here's some of it:

DED_1_zpsibeiriwv.jpg

DED_3_zpsmqaewthv.jpg

DED_4.jpg

DED_6.jpg

DED_7.jpg

DED_8.jpg

DED_9.jpg

DED_11.jpg

That's the DED display, and tests have been successful with Falcon!

DED_ok1.jpg

DED_ok2.jpg

And that's just a sample of progress, stay tuned. :)

Another part of the cockpit are the indexers. Got me some aluminum profile:
INDEXER_STAND_2.jpg

Cut to required shapes:

INDEXER_STAND_3.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_4.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_5.jpg

This is how the LEDs fit in:

INDEXER_STAND_6.jpg

Then i cut some rooftop tin pieces:

INDEXER_STAND_8.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_7.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_9.jpg

Paint n' rivets:

INDEXER_STAND_11.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_12.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_14.jpg

More parts:

INDEXER_STAND_10.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_15.jpg

INDEXER_STAND_17.jpg

And this is how the finished part looks:

INDEXER_STAND_19.jpg

Haven't yet connected these electrically, but it's no rocket science..

And some more pics of the progress. Here's the throttle arm with wires passing through:

THROTTLE_CABLES_zpsvnujq8pc.jpg

That's 29 cables going through that part!

Here's the indexers' stand wood-carved prototype:

INDEXER_STAND_1_zps5pzj04bg.jpg

And this is the mold i made for casting it in resin:

MOLD_1.jpg

MOLD_2.jpg

MOLD_3.jpg

Here's the result:

INDEXER_BASE_A.jpg

I've installed bronze 4mm screw inserts.

INDEXER_BASE_B.jpg

Another part of the cockpit is the FFI (Fuel Flow Indicator). That needed an Arduino and a miniature OLED screen.

FFI1.jpg

FFI2.jpg

Now, that gave me a headache, but it was the display's fault, so i switched from the cheap OEM to a more expensive Adafruit one:

FFI3.jpg

After that, it was 'smooth sails' testing successfully under Falcon.

I also started collecting some electronics for interfacing.

OPEN_BOARDS_1.jpg

BOARDS_1.jpg

That's a very nice system by PSCockpits (Spain). I would highly recommend it to people looking to build a working cockpit. Pictures show mainboard, CMDS, Caution Panel, compass, TWP, TWA, UHF, and 40 I/O plus 16 I/O boards. It will not be the only electronics interfacing system, but the most important one.
Other subsystems include Pokeys, Adafruit servo controller etc.

- - - Updated - - -

And yet another part, the Caution Panel.
I used some Greek match boxes:

CAUTION_1.jpg

Put them together...

CAUTION_2.jpg

CAUTION_3.jpg

CAUTION_4.jpg

CAUTION_5.jpg

Lots of more work to be done on that, but pictures are posted here to bring the thread to an updated status. These past few posts are a summary of approximately a years' work since my last updates..

Another minor update, some homemade switch knobs carved out of wood. These need a little bit of more work, but will soon be used as prototypes for a mold.

CMDS_KNOBS_1.jpg

Hi Bud great your still working on this u got a pic of you whole piece to show us.

Hi Bud great your still working on this u got a pic of you whole piece to show us.

Thanks Johnim, not a recent one actually, since the pit is stored in a different place, and i work on sub-components at home for the time being.
I wish i had everything in one place, but real life is a b***h as we all know, and keeps getting in the way..
Anyway, here's one from a while back.

TUB SIDE 1.jpg

Last edited:
This is a real labour of love. Can't wait to see the finished work :)

Hey there fellas, been a while, but as always, many things in real life tend to become an obstacle for my many hobbies... Will not go through details, but it's been a nightmare till recently. Anyway, i manage to work a little now and then on the cockpit front. Here's a few things i managed so far:
-Had the Logitech G15 keyboard working as a DED and PFL display. I will actually be using this strictly as a PFL because i already built my DED.

30112018075.jpg

-Experimented with panel build using a CNC:

SNSR-PWR-2.jpg

SNSR-PWR-3.jpg

SNSR-PWR-8.jpg

SNSR-PWR-12.jpg

-My latest pride is what i call "Project: MustaComp" (from mustard and compass)!

Pics will help your imagination:

Compass-1.jpg

Compass-4.jpg

Compass-6.jpg

Compass-7.jpg

Compass-9.jpg

Compass-13.jpg

Compass-16.jpg

Compass-17.jpg

Compass-19.jpg

Compass-27.jpg

Compass-30.jpg

Compass-31.jpg

Compass-32.jpg

Here's testing the backlight circuitry:

compass-33.jpg

And that's about it for the time being.. Stay tuned! :)

Here's the latest updates on the cockpit front. Lots of things have happened since my last post. Here's the TWP (Threat Warning Panel), with smd leds and microswitches replaced by RAFI illuminated switches:

TWP-1.jpg

TWP-10.jpg

TWP-11.jpg

TWP-14.jpg

Cockpit PC is slowly being assembled..

PC-3.jpg

Needs many video outputs, so i utilized a PCIe adapter for a second graphics card:

PCI-X-1.jpg

PCI-X-3.jpg

I've 5 monitors and 2 projectors to drive (for the time being!).

Here's a rough idea of the left top side:

LEFT-CP-1.jpg

That's one of the monitors and required the purchase of a controller:

LEFT-CP-3.jpg

Designing the compass scale using a graphics tablet:

Lightpen-1.jpg

Results:

SCALE-1.jpg

SCALE-2.jpg

SCALE-3.jpg

Stay tuned for more pics in a bit!

- - - Updated - - -

Next up is the UHF panel. That one needs lots of more work:

UHF-A1.jpg

Now this is the SSC, actually the joystick mount base:

SSC1A.jpg

SSC1B.jpg

SSC1D.jpg

SSC1H.jpg

SSC1J.jpg

SSC1M.jpg

Still lots of sanding, putty, filling etc. to be done there..
Next up is the right AUX console, where the PFL (Pilot Fault List) and Caution Panel are mounted:

RAUX-1.jpg

The PFL is actually a display ripped from a Logitech G15 keyboard, and it works quite well.

RAUX-2.jpg

RAUX-3.jpg

RAUX-11.jpg

RAUX-12.jpg

RAUX-13.jpg

RAUX-14.jpg

And that just about sums it all up for now, but you get an idea of what "staying inside" means here! ;-)

Thanks mate! What people who aren't in the specific hobby don't understand usually, is the fact that it can take quite a big while to finish.
I know plenty who are still building for decades. Even hobbyists who managed to finish their cockpit tend to always try making them better, or keep them updated with modern Block numbers. Of course finances play a big role too; imagine having to scratch-build most of the parts..

A small update. Used putty to fill the gaps on the joystick:

STICKB3.jpg

After lots of sanding, I did two coats of epoxy resin on the joystick body, in order to "plasticize" it.

STICKB6.jpg

Left it to cure for two days, and resin hardened really well. Went through lots of sanding again, and then primed and painted it.

STICKB7.jpg

STICKB8.jpg

STICKB9.jpg

Last, i went through three coats of mate varnish, and after it dried, i can say the result has really paid off.

STICKB10.jpg

It has been a while since my last update, but at least i have some work done. First up is building the rudder pedals. This set is built after open-source instructions and plans. What you see here are the aluminum rails, and plastic parts which were 3D-printed. Luckily, i found some nice fella in the UK who prints parts for me real cheap and with good quality!

pedals-1.jpg

pedals-2.jpg

pedals-3.jpg

pedals-4.jpg

This is not yet complete, as i am awaiting some more parts for this kit. I have also received parts for the throttle quadrant, which were also 3D-printed by the same person. With a little love and affection (aka sanding, priming and varnish), these parts became real smooth on the surface.
Pictures are worth a thousand words..

θροτ_5.jpg

θροτ_6.jpg

θροτ_7.jpg

θροτ_8.jpg

Here's how she looks temporarily mounted on the throttle bracket (before smoothening treatment):

θροτ1.jpg

θροτ2.jpg

θροτ3.jpg

Stay tuned! :)

Back
Top Bottom