Building a full-sized cockpit

Some more progress today. Spent most of the day applying putty, sanding, and painting surfaces. (have i mentioned enough that i HATE sanding?)

SIDE1_zpsee4c6c5e.jpg

SIDE3_zpse9e4b96f.jpg

SIDE2_zps4f182d29.jpg

SIDE4_zpsc2305020.jpg

Got me these parts from a hardware store, 2 for a Euro.. Here's the before and after:
SEAT417_zps8bfe8d1b.jpg

Nothing much, just rounding the edges. These are supposedly retainers for holding the chute belts in place.

SEAT418_zps59ba2597.jpg

SEAT419_zps8397291f.jpg

I know it's been a while, but ever since my last post, i have moved to the new house. Inbetween, there's been some progress, which i simply delayed upping. Here's what gives to date.
RIGHTA_zpsb4442e7b.jpg

RIGHTH_zps83dfcb10.jpg

RIGHTB_zpsc54e6a5b.jpg

RIGHTC_zps9f936e8c.jpg

RIGHTD_zpsf4d3ab47.jpg

RIGHTE_zps0ef6961f.jpg

RIGHTG_zps21d12e6d.jpg

The above pictures show the progress on the left and right sides of the cockpit.

This is the backplate...
BACK1_zps1ba3daa5.jpg

BACK2_zps160a153a.jpg

BACK3_zps42b170f7.jpg

BACK5_zps0485a802.jpg

This is a PVC tube cut to serve as an ejection rocket motor part:
SEAT422_zps6f2ebc0d.jpg

SEAT423_zpsb2779b58.jpg

Next pics show the whole assembly set at the new apartment:

SIDEB_zpse1c69b75.jpg

SIDEC_zps78998be1.jpg

SIDEE_zps6c923fe1.jpg

These panels have been roughly cut to shape, but there's lots of trimming to be done.

Next up was a means to climb in. So, i built a temporary ladder for the time being:
1a_zps45065fd9.jpg

1_zps5e32f660.jpg

3_zps35b13620.jpg

Now, this is the right side chutebox:

SEAT426_zps43f4fa48.jpg

SEAT427_zps5ffd032d.jpg

SEAT428_zps6c195ba1.jpg

SEAT429_zpsd60748db.jpg

SEAT430_zps8a7a65a7.jpg

SEAT431_zps94f55709.jpg

Yes, it's all handwritten... :picard

Here's what the chutebox looks like temporarilly placed in position:

SEAT432_zps1ae6b02a.jpg

SEAT433_zps862fac2b.jpg

You can also see the bronze-painted PVC tube replicating the rocket motor.

And that's just about it for the moment. Stay tuned! :)

Vassilis, I really admire your courage. It's been nearly 3 years since you started all over this, and you are still surprising us. (y)

A minor update after a while.. I started making the ejection handle. Initially built from MDF, but as it will reside at a stressfull area, i thought it would be a bit fragile. Anyway, here's a few pics:

Handle1_zps73bbba99.jpg

Handle2_zps38ad9b30.jpg

Rounding it up was the hardest part:
Handle4_zps281eeb2c.jpg

Handle5_zps0747856c.jpg

Handle7_zpsb4b2d3b2.jpg

MOLD6_zpsea41f6de.jpg

MOLD7_zps339547fc.jpg

Next up, is making a mold. I'll be making a resin copy of the handle, so it will logically last longer. Here's the mold's box:
MOLD1_zpse652def3.jpg

With plenty of room for casting the handle:
MOLD2_zpsf57bf923.jpg

I've spent a small fortune on chemicals (RTV silicone, release fluid, resin and pigment), and cross fingers for the result.

MOLD8_zpsa6844a62.jpg

The hole at the bottom is the passage for pouring resin. Can't exactly describe the process right now, but you'll be seeing it when time comes. I got me some yellow pigment, so the resin will come out of the mold directly with the appropriate color. If i feel satisfied with the results, i might just experiment with casting some Amiga stuff later on! :whistle:

Hey there fellow Amibayers, not much on the cockpit front these days, due to real life... but real life can have its cool moments too! :)
Thus, there was an airshow nearby, which i couldn't attend. However, the engine sound coming from outside my window sounded familiar.
Grabbed the camera, and managed to shoot a few pics.

CHAFF4_zps8420aeb4.jpg

Right there, front view from my balcony, an F-16.

CHAFF3_zpsbbeee179.jpg

Yup, they came real close.

CHAFF2_zps5eb1d2e7.jpg

Ditto.

CHAFF1_zps3e612400.jpg

Flare-shooting time! Nope, not Christmas yet lol

CHAFF5_zpsfc061e00.jpg

No, that's not a normal cloud centered there, it's the smoke from the flares.

I know that's not much, but i got a little excited and wanted to share this..

I have an idea for the simulated G's.

Using some kind of balloon under the seat cushion, connected to a pump or something, so when you pull the stick back it will deflate the balloon pushing down into your seat, and when you push the stick forward the balloon will inflate pushing you upwards making you "lighter".

I think that would give you some serious G feelings.

Only problem is to find a nice and quiet electrical air-pump of some sort.

@Jepplen: thanks for the suggestion, but i'm not going to make a G-suit. I know it's been done by hobbiers, and i've actually seen an italian making his own suit with air-packs that inflate and deflate, but i find that a bit overkill.
Some stuff on the cockpit have progressed a bit, but i'm really not in the mood lately, as real life has slapped me hard.
Some days ago my mother passed away after a 4-year battle with cancer. I find it needless to go into further details..
I know i'm more absent than i'd like to be, but it's way over me.

Sorry to hear about your mother salaxi, hope things get better for you soon :)

This is a great project and it'll still be there when life turns around for the better and will be a pleasure to see it all finished.

Aww sorry to hear that Salaxi, hope that your broken heart can improve over time :(

Maybe this long term project can take your mind away from the upset some what

There has actually been some progress on this since my last post, but things are in pause again, certainly due to real life!
Anyway, here's what went on with the ejection handle mold:

MOULD1C_zps11e865b5.jpg

These are the two halves of the silicone-based mold of the handle. This is not your ordinary silicone, but some expensive sh**e i had to purchase.

They were made by prototyping the handle negatives using clay:
MOLD11_zps7bfe8c29.jpg

MOLD12_zps93b735cf.jpg

MOLD13_zps26be3d48.jpg

MOLD14_zps70dfde3f.jpg

That's the mould box filled with the silicone.

MOLD16_zps2211617f.jpg

A close-up pic of some details.

I'll be upping some more pics soon so you can see the resulting handle.

Here's what the result was.

HANDLE%20A_zpsy44nmp0b.jpg

It is far from perfect, but i believe i can improve it. The blank part at the central column is probably due to concentrated air in the mold. While i was inserting resin in liquid form, the mold went "burping" and spat out some material.. other than that, some sanding will make the edges smooth. Of course i used pigment for the yellow looks. Stay tuned! :)

Long time without an update, while actually i had things done! Anyway, here goes:

HUD%20STICKERS_zpsrnuus70n.jpg

These are reflective stickers i got so i can experiment with the HUD. I placed a pico video projector within the HUD unit, and it will project images on this surface. Here's some tests:

STICKER1_zpsjghybukq.jpg

This shows the reflective sticker temporarily placed on the glass surface.

STICKER2_zpsszogvyof.jpg

STICKER3_zpso3m6ve5i.jpg

STICKER4_zpsux6hgpsf.jpg

First shot out of focus.

And here's a clearer output. Now, you can see the light from the projector reflecting on the glass, but trust me, it all depends on the angle of view. By the way, remember the sticker is still a loose item, and not permanently adhered to the glass.
STICKER5_zpszm7g5igb.jpg

STICKER6_zpsqfrtyqgg.jpg

You can see that the projector needs some rotating, but i just "shmacked it" in there, only testing it.

And here's the philosophy behind my experiment:
HUD%20concept_zpstlwh9agz.jpg

Stay tuned, as i have done a few more things... :)

Why do you need the reflective sticker? The glass should be enough.

Bryce.

Ok. If you are getting bad ghosting you should try using thinner glass and try varying angle of the glass and projector. Adding a highly reflective (but see-through) surface to the inner surface can also help.

Bryce.

That would change the whole construction of the HUD assembly, plus the projector is already a tight fit...

I've not looked at this project for a while but as usual I come back to it and am amazed at all your hard / quality work. It really does look great (y)

Thanks for your kind words! These days i'm focusing on the landing gear mechanism. Started shaping the LG lever out of wood:

lever%201_zpszlnpazrq.jpg

LG2_zps5lzcf5wx.jpg

LG3_zpskjlsxms0.jpg

LG4_zpsjc2f0o9m.jpg

LG5_zps71zqp6fk.jpg

LG6_zpsvqst21yz.jpg

LG7_zpst2eogc5o.jpg

LG8_zpswwuuum67.jpg

LG9_zpsrziy28mi.jpg

LG10_zpspue0dvha.jpg

LG12_zpsjda4ognb.jpg

LG13_zps65vecw1s.jpg

As you see, this involves drilling, filing, sanding etc. Many hours to shape a simple lever...

- - - Updated - - -

And so, there once was a pen:

LG14_zpsrwsx0mmp.jpg

LG15_zps1z40x4e2.jpg

LG16_zpsxizfbuki.jpg

LG17_zpsdfaefqn9.jpg

LG18_zpsbjzdqsb5.jpg

LG19_zpsm21tbvcw.jpg

LG20_zpst1spwlil.jpg

LG21_zpsrfiiq30l.jpg

This plastic piece was added for strength when pressing the gear release switch. Then, there was some sealing, putty, and sanding...

LG22_zpsftt7be7b.jpg

LG23_zpsycqbqj3i.jpg

LG24_zpstkycyvmr.jpg

LG25_zpsdjwsjhuu.jpg

LG26_zpsenzcbkjm.jpg

After lots more putty and sanding, i had the lever coated with paint, and started shaping the 'lollipop' edge using red plexiglass sandwich:

LG27_zpspxuttq7v.jpg

LG29_zps1qtui5es.jpg

LG30_zpsvtcxbz9v.jpg

LG31_zpsg3a19gxi.jpg

This will be illuminated from a couple of LEDs located within the lever.

Back
Top Bottom