salaxi54

Incoming ASROC!
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
GREECE
Region
Athens
Hello fellow AmiBayers! Well, y'all know that if i decide to start something it is a fact... :D I was actually initially thinking of buildding something else, but was "forced" to change my mind. You see, being a Navy guy, i thought i'd build a submarine CIC, but it would require drilling a rather big hole (or two) for a periscope going through the top guy's apartment, and ending out on the roof. As you might've guessed, he refused... :LOL: (yeah, right, what'd he know!)
So, i weighted things up, and actually found there's only just a few Submarine simulators out there, maybe it was for the best of things not to bother. But my lab being non-ergonomic in status, things must simply change!
Although i do have two rather big desks full of gear, a second person has a rather hard time sitting next to me when i invite friends. That's because not all the stuff is ON the desks.. It's simply spread around. :)
So, my thinking is that i could at least make things more comfy for a second person, by building a full-sized two-seater flight simulator cockpit.
The only difference is that we won't be seating next to each other (how romantic LOL), but rather one in front of the other! And instead of viewing the same screen when it comes to computing, we'd each have our own to look at. But, that will not be as friends; rather as flying enemies! hehe
I can tell you that this project will take quite a while (don't they all?)
But i decided to start this thread so i can share with you my thoughts and technical questions, for this isn't something specific to an aviator or such.
Maybe you've already seen some of the gear i started collecting already, but for the sake of completeness, i'll post em here too.
Without further ado, here's what i already have:

HELMET2.jpg

SAITEK1.jpg

COCKPIT1.jpg

COCKPIT2.jpg

COCKPIT3.jpg

So, there's a helmet, a thrust controller, some switches, indicators and various paraphernalia, an intercom (to talk to the bogie), and a couple of Wingman sticks. That's not all, and more gear is expected.
My target is an F-16/B cockpit, and i chose the F-16 due to it's minimalistic construction. Health has forbidden me to start cutting for the time being, but i hope soon construction will commence! :)
I'll return soon with plenty of questions for our electronics-oriented members and any updates. Stay tuned! (y)

let me get it in first then

"you can be my wingman" :LOL:

Ohh, nice, I used to have that exact flight stick. Great controller that.

This is going to be interesting... (y)

Thanks for your kind words folks! I'll be shooting questions, but will be doing so one at a time, so as not to get too confused. :)
Here's numero uno:
I need to know how to control LED intensity. One of the units is the ICP (Integrated Control Panel). Imagine it being a small box about 25x25 cm, carrying 21 indications. So, i want to build something that can illuminate 21 LEDs (or miniature light bulbs), all fed directly from an ATX PSU, and be able to use a rotary dimmer to control their intensity. Size does matter (the smaller the better lol), and please keep in mind that not only morale is low, but finances too! :( Would i need something smart to do the job, or can i use a simple dimmer knob? If it matters, emmited light should be either yellow or white. Here's how an ICP looks: http://meriweather.com/16/center/icp.html#

@ Salaxi54

is the effect like dimming car speedometer clocks in modern cars?

A simple rotary dimmer (variable resistor) would do it. Remember though, you are only dimming a 5v rail that feeds the LEDS, so it doesn't need to be massive. I'd go for one with a linear rather than logarithmic rating..

As for the rating, you may need to play with some 0.5W resistors on the 5v rail until you get the dimming effect you want, then get a variable resistor of that value.

Last edited:
@ Salaxi54
is the effect like dimming car speedometer clocks in modern cars?

Never had a modern car! :LOL: All i want is a smooth dimming function by rotating a knob. Haven't yet decided if i'll be using LEDs or regular light bulbs.

Either way, a variable resistor is the way to go, unless you are getting into higher voltages.

Where did you source the 'Top Gun' helmet from?

Thanks, i plan on staying with 5vdc on this. As about the helmet, i got it from the Asian part of fleebay.. Needs a bit of modifying so as not to represent a Chinese Airforce version.. :)

Did someone say cockpit? :) I've been planning to build a GA home cockpit myself, with a slight versatility to airline/combat simulation. If you need info on building a home cockpit, you might want to check MyCockpit.org. There's a lot of useful information.

I did notice the red star, Salaxi. (y) I think I'd prefer a leather helmet and a pair of Mk. 9s, if I had a choice.

r0jaws will be along at some point I reckon, to discuss RAF helmets...

All I can think of is "Stay on target.... stay on target....." :LOL:

@Protek: thanks for the link. So many of them! It's just that usually they seem to be looking for ways to promote their own products...
Anyway, i've gathered a few links i will be posting later.
I was thinking of various revisions for a cockpit, but as i said earlier, an F-16 is rather minimalistic. Needless to say that this won't be running just one simulator. I actually want to have a UAE setup handy for my personal all-time favorite Sublogic FS II :)

@Merlin: This one's very light (extremely i'd say), has a leather inner, and both a transparent and sunglass gliding shield. Surely what you have in mind needs a propeller-driven craft! :LOL:

Exactly, Vasilios; the aircraft I prefer to fly are powered by Rolls Royce Merlins, naturally... Spitfires, Hurricanes and Lancasters....with the occasional P51-D Mustang.

I've got also a Matrox TripleHead2Go with three 17" monitors. Only difference is that I have the digital version compared to the analog in the Youtube flick. No fresnel lenses, though.

Here's a question for Winblows users: anyone know enough about multiple-monitor setups?
I was thinking of a few details..
Can i use more than one graphics card under the same pc? I do have an Asrock mobo that supports a function called "surround video", but the cockpit needs an extra pc for the aft pilot. Plus, another thinking: i intend to utilize all 3 outputs of a video card (GF 7800) meaning VGA, DVI and S-Video out. I think i can use all 3, but i want to make sure. Last question, if i actually can use all 3 outs, is it possible for them to operate under different resolutions, and, could i also choose rotation on an individual screen? It has to do with some of the instrumentation display..
Setup is Win XP SP 3
Thanks in advance!

Here's a question for Winblows users: anyone know enough about multiple-monitor setups?
I was thinking of a few details..

- Can i use more than one graphics card under the same pc? I do have an Asrock mobo that supports a function called "surround video", but the cockpit needs an extra pc for the aft pilot.

A: Yes you can. I have done this with 2 x 8800GTX's and FSX.

- Plus, another thinking: i intend to utilize all 3 outputs of a video card (GF 7800) meaning VGA, DVI and S-Video out. I think i can use all 3, but i want to make sure.

A: Not sure I think it depends on what the graphics driver is capable of.

- Last question, if i actually can use all 3 outs, is it possible for them to operate under different resolutions, and, could i also choose rotation on an individual screen? It has to do with some of the instrumentation display..
Setup is Win XP SP 3
Thanks in advance!

I just tested 2 displays connected to a GTX560Ti under Win 7 x64. I have my main monitor (30") running at 2560x1600 in landscape and a secondary (24") running 1920x1200 in portrait. NVidia drivers.

A problem I came across when trying to set up a cockpit with 3 monitors is setting the perspective view you need across the 3 displays, e.g. rotating horizontally the outer monitor views. This might be accomplished with your "surround video" feature. I believe ATi video cards have an onboard feature to spread the display across multiple monitors, something that Nvidia dropped a while ago.

Also there are some utilities called FSwide and FSUIPC which will send displays to another PC. I think these have a nominal subscription fee.

Depending on your budget there is also something called Project Magenta, multiple IO and VGA displays for flight sim cockpit builders, although I have no experience using this.

Cheers,
Ed.

Back
Top Bottom