How to pay as PayPal gift - a tutorial

tbtorro

As you wish.
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sjæland
Since I've been asked numerous times on how to pay as PayPal gift, here is a two picture tutorial:

1. Click Send payment -> Select "Personal" tab under the payment details -> Select "Gift" radio button

2. On the complete payment page, make sure the "I will pay the fees" checkbox is checked

I normally offer both (gift and regular) payment options on my sales threads. The reason for this, if the item low in value and the seller is well known, paying as gift can be free in certain cases, hence saving the fees for both parties.

It seems like paying as gift (or personal payments in general) aren't available in all countries.

Attachments

• paypal_gift.png
    paypal_gift.png
    11 KB · Views: 10
  • paypal_gift2.png
    paypal_gift2.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Problem with paypal gift is you cant reclaim your money if something goes wrong so beware and only do it if you know the person is 100% legit.

Also (depending on the country) as a "Gift" you can't pay for and print Postage right away. This saves me so much time, and not to mention CASH in pocket, as I do not have to pay at the post office. They also provide a tracking number and verification to the buyer.
Paypal fees are the unfortunate cost of doing business. When I had my computer store, I paid so much more in fees, just to have a merchant account and take Debit/ Credit cards. Plus you had to rent the machine monthly.

Also (depending on the country) as a "Gift" you can't pay for and print Postage right away. This saves me so much time, and not to mention CASH in pocket, as I do not have to pay at the post office. They also provide a tracking number and verification to the buyer.
Paypal fees are the unfortunate cost of doing business. When I had my computer store, I paid so much more in fees, just to have a merchant account and take Debit/ Credit cards. Plus you had to rent the machine monthly.

That's interesting. I'm not sure you can pay for postage using Paypal in the UK. Possibly this is an American/Canadian thing?

@tbtero

A very handy guide, thanks for sharing =)

@Andy

my friend, there is a royalmail portal of payment through paypal on non-gifted payments.

Irony would be that royalmail doesn't accept PayPal payment direct on their site.

So any gift based payments one has to either wait for the cash to clear in ones account or dip into ones slush fund =)

when doing both the Spectrum +E IDE devices and EverDrive group-buy, I had not choice be to refuse funds sent as gift - I felt really bad about it, but there would of been no way to cover all the postages (which was a little over £100)

@Thread

I would only suggest gift payments for people you know and trust well, as by deffinition it is a gift. As mentioned earlier in this thread, should that you gift a paypament there is NO recourse for refund

Where I can I will gift payments to people I know and trust, on rare occasion I will pay the fee's as its safer for all parties interested.

For your help in this matter you can use a very simple - easy to use PayPal fee calculator (click here)

Good luck on all your trades and remember stay safe by staying smart =)

That's interesting. I'm not sure you can pay for postage using Paypal in the UK. Possibly this is an American/Canadian thing?

Yeap it is handy if you sell on ebay as you can pay postage via paypal and it gives you the paid postage with address to print and stick on your package for the post office :) Dump it on the desk and walk away :)

...Yeap it is handy if you sell on ebay as you can pay postage via paypal and it gives you the paid postage with address to print and stick on your package for the post office :) Dump it on the desk and walk away :)

Always get a postage receipt for each parcel before leaving the post office =)

How should I buy something valuable from someone I don't know? I found a guy from a forum and asked if he had something. He said yes and willing to sell it to me since he no longer uses it. He is on another continent and I really want to buy one or two of that item from him. How do I make sure the item is good and how to make sure he sends the item? Any idea? Would Paypal refund if something goes wrong? :coffee:

PayPal is a decent little payment system and as for folk on here they have been 100% reliable, their feedback is just as good/reliable as (if not better) than FeeBay's system :D and I have never been dissapointed.

It's a shame their fees are so shockingly high as coupled with FeeBay (owned by same company right?) they take a extortionate amount of profits when you sell stuff... by using AmiBay it at least it ensures that their monopoly doesn't run to every single catagory of item out there.

Try selling a car or god forbid an item that reaches over £100... FeeBay and PayPal fees are crippling :mad: fun for buyers but not for sellers.

If only they'd let us use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Checkout think they banned* it some time ago and labeled it 'insecure', in reality because it was cutting out PayPal so we make less wonga... EVIL!

*In 2006 eBay, which owns PayPal, added Google Checkout to its banned payment methods list, forbidding the use of Google Checkout to pay for eBay transactions.

-rant over- :oops:

How should I buy something valuable from someone I don't know? I found a guy from a forum and asked if he had something. He said yes and willing to sell it to me since he no longer uses it. He is on another continent and I really want to buy one or two of that item from him. How do I make sure the item is good and how to make sure he sends the item? Any idea? Would Paypal refund if something goes wrong? :coffee:

Paypal would refund on at least two conditions.

1 It was not a gift payment
2 You entered a disputed request with Paypal before the time limit ran out and paypal found the case in your favour

There may be more reasons but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Dave G :cool:

Caveat Emptor!

For those who don't know, that's Latin for "Buyer beware"

If you pay by bank transfer or Paypal gift, you have no recourse with your purchase, so only do this with members you trust.

If you use Paypal in "normal" mode, you get the buyer protection, so if anything goes wrong, you can get your money back. That's what the fees you're paying are for, consider it as a form of insurance. If you're a buyer, you should certainly be preferring this option for anyone whose reputation is unknown to you.

On the other hand, if you're a seller, I can quite understand why you might be reluctant to accept Paypal "normal" mode. Even if you're a genuine, honest seller, Paypal is biased against you.

So, Amibay doesn't place any restrictions on what payment methods a seller chooses to accept, that's their decision. As a buyer, it's down to you to assess the situation and decide whether or not you trust someone enough to gift payment to them or not. You can always negotiate with a seller to discuss payment options, but if you don't like their terms, simply don't buy from them.

(y)

Bank transfer is a completely different matter. Of course is risky, but it's not the same as PayPal 'Gift' option. You can discuss this matter with your bank, but in case you get fraud you have to make the necessary arrangements with your bank.

Another thing worth mentioning:

PayPal do not support personal payments in many countries (including my own, it seems...) so the "Personal" tab is simply not there :dry:
Cant make a gift payment even if I want to...

I investigated this not long ago, it seems that PayPal dont have a list anywhere of which countries this affects!
Also, their support doesnt easily admit this, they replied "we will look into the matter".
After some googling I found out its a common problem in many countries & most people that contacted PP support got the same answers...

Shame on them for acting this way :mad:

Another interesting thing to find out would be in which cases gift payments are free. I've seen it several times when I was paying that the fee was "0.00". First I thought when paying from PayPal balance, but then I've seen another payment from balance with a fee next time. Perhaps it's something to do with across country, perhaps across EU/non-EU ?

This should be under "Help & FAQ" I think, took me ages to find it lol :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom