Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Boston, Lincs
    Feedback
    179 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
    How should I buy something valuable from someone I don't know? I found a guy from a forum and asked if he had something. He said yes and willing to sell it to me since he no longer uses it. He is on another continent and I really want to buy one or two of that item from him. How do I make sure the item is good and how to make sure he sends the item? Any idea? Would Paypal refund if something goes wrong?
    Paypal would refund on at least two conditions.

1 It was not a gift payment
    2 You entered a disputed request with Paypal before the time limit ran out and paypal found the case in your favour

There may be more reasons but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Dave G

Acceleration! Amibay Treasurer
    Amibayer!
    AmiDev
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Southampton
    Feedback
    107 (100%)

Caveat Emptor!

For those who don't know, that's Latin for "Buyer beware"

If you pay by bank transfer or Paypal gift, you have no recourse with your purchase, so only do this with members you trust.

If you use Paypal in "normal" mode, you get the buyer protection, so if anything goes wrong, you can get your money back. That's what the fees you're paying are for, consider it as a form of insurance. If you're a buyer, you should certainly be preferring this option for anyone whose reputation is unknown to you.

On the other hand, if you're a seller, I can quite understand why you might be reluctant to accept Paypal "normal" mode. Even if you're a genuine, honest seller, Paypal is biased against you.

So, Amibay doesn't place any restrictions on what payment methods a seller chooses to accept, that's their decision. As a buyer, it's down to you to assess the situation and decide whether or not you trust someone enough to gift payment to them or not. You can always negotiate with a seller to discuss payment options, but if you don't like their terms, simply don't buy from them.

Thinking about accelerating your A1200? Check out my buyer's guide.

Projects past and present: Amiga 2000/030 | Amiga 3000/040 | Amiga 4000/060

6級 [Rokkyū] VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Hellas
    Region:
    Chania, Crete
    Feedback
    211 (100%)

Bank transfer is a completely different matter. Of course is risky, but it's not the same as PayPal 'Gift' option. You can discuss this matter with your bank, but in case you get fraud you have to make the necessary arrangements with your bank.
    You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around
    you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.

> GO EAST

Country
    Israel
    Feedback
    43 (100%)

Another thing worth mentioning:

PayPal do not support personal payments in many countries (including my own, it seems...) so the "Personal" tab is simply not there
    Cant make a gift payment even if I want to...

I investigated this not long ago, it seems that PayPal dont have a list anywhere of which countries this affects!
    Also, their support doesnt easily admit this, they replied "we will look into the matter".
    After some googling I found out its a common problem in many countries & most people that contacted PP support got the same answers...

Shame on them for acting this way

You Have Only Begun To Discover Your PowerPC Amibayer! tbtorro's Avatar
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Copenhagen
    Feedback
    1012 (100%)

Another interesting thing to find out would be in which cases gift payments are free. I've seen it several times when I was paying that the fee was "0.00". First I thought when paying from PayPal balance, but then I've seen another payment from balance with a fee next time. Perhaps it's something to do with across country, perhaps across EU/non-EU ?

Truth, Justice, all that stuff. VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Bradford, West Yorkshire
    Feedback
    289 (100%)

This should be under "Help & FAQ" I think, took me ages to find it lol
    :boing:OS4Depot http://www.os4depot.net/ - Its like Aminet for OS4! :D
    :rainbow: RunInUAE http://cshandley.co.uk/ - No NextGen Amiga should be without this!

Amibayer!
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    England
    Region:
    birmingham
    Feedback
    153 (100%)

moved taj mate
    A1200T 1d4:blizzard 1260/50/64mb:fastata-iv:amiga to ps2 mouse:80gb hd:zip100 ide:a4000 keyboard
    A1200D 1d4:blizzard1230mk4/50/64mb:indy mk ii:fastata mk ii:40gb*A1200 rev 2b*2 x A1200 1d4*A1200 1b*A600 2mb 4gb*A500
    PC:8700k@4.8ghz, Msi sli plus mobo, Corsair 32gb ddr4 3000mhz, Evga 1080ti ftw hybrid, Evo 970 m2 500gb.

sfs cf guide http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=19953 cwb3.9 guide http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=20315 mediator drivers http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=11993 p96 newres guide(radeon install) http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...905#post325905

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12