Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the new Amiga Lounge on-line store!

Country
    U.K.
    Region:
    Cornwall
    Feedback
    48 (100%)

Default Re: Welcome to the new Amiga Lounge on-line store!

Hows this for a conundrum!?

Official Traders & AmiBay should be miles apart! - Bold statement to make considering I was a MegaMod until recently stepping down, but this fact really does need to be made quite clear. Official traders are not suppose to be buying snips on the forums & Expanding their shop fronts!
    I'm not sayng anyone Trader on AmiBay is doing this thouugh, so please think about what I just said, thanks!

@ quarkx

This kinda leans on you, though & in a manner which is not your fault. Canada is NTSC & perhaps the largest portion of the AmiBay Community are PAL based being more condensed in Europe. This makes his market rather limited somewhat because his source is always going to be NTSC over PAL. Jumping aside from this fact, there is still the peripheral coverage which can suck up either format!

I could only guess your side of the pond has the larger portion of Video Production Via Big Box Amigas than Europe has & this might be your best angle for your shop being that side of the pond. It's just a bit wierd that in this day & age, "format" still fuxors things in a way that should never have been there in the first place!

With recent events, I too perhaps need to re-evaluate my services on AmiBay! Things change in life in more ways than one I guess & we need to try & adapt accordingly. Best wishes with what ever venture you end up enduring. Just be sure you make sure you are alright!

Kin

insane in the main frame Amibayer! quarkx's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

<quote>
    Hows this for a conundrum!?

Official Traders & AmiBay should be miles apart! - Bold statement to make considering I was a MegaMod until recently stepping down, but this fact really does need to be made quite clear. Official traders are not suppose to be buying snips on the forums & Expanding their shop fronts!
    I'm not sayng anyone Trader on AmiBay is doing this thouugh, so please think about what I just said, thanks!
    </quote>
    @kin
    Yes, you are right, Now as a "trader" I can't browse the Recycle bin, Nor can I jump in and buy some of the great stuff I need from everyone here. People tend to forget that I am a user also and I am far from having even closely a complete or "ultimate" Collection. Not all the stuff I have makes it to my shop, nor do I buy stuff to pad my shop. My shop is an after thought to clear some space. My Blog (OTOH ) should clearly show this-For Example- After all spending a whole day (over 8 hours) on the long weekend tearing down and cleaning an A4000 keyboard by hand should say that I have some "passion" in this hobby. If I was just in it to sell, I wouldn't have bothered at all.

My new blog at http://amigalounge.com is Amiga browsing friendly, stop on by for cool tech news with a geeky slant.Youtube video channel is Glenvdb1. My prices go UP once something is tested and verified working, your opportunity to save money on Untested "As is" merchandise. my things are now only posted for a week at a time,I am a Smoker

Country
    U.K.
    Region:
    Cornwall
    Feedback
    48 (100%)

Ah m8y, you're not off topic really. It's a right can of worms all round for you & considering being a Trader myself (Not entirely covinced myself yet) I know where you are coming from.
    The Re-Cycle Bin was something brought to us by one of AmiBay's Founders, "sarek2k". This guy introduced this to one of AmiBay's founding Sites, "OldSkoolUK" & was obviously included in the Development of AmiBay's services.

On the mainstream side of things though, it still remains a problem RE PAL & NTSC, but on the peripheral side of things, you should fly!

Best Wishes,

Kin

Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell
    Ah m8y, you're not off topic really. It's a right can of worms all round for you & considering being a Trader myself (Not entirely covinced myself yet) I know where you are coming from.
    The Re-Cycle Bin was something brought to us by one of AmiBay's Founders, "sarek2k". This guy introduced this to one of AmiBay's founding Sites, "OldSkoolUK" & was obviously included in the Development of AmiBay's services.

On the mainstream side of things though, it still remains a problem RE PAL & NTSC, but on the peripheral side of things, you should fly!

Best Wishes,

Kin
    I would have to agree for now, it MAY be a problem, But with the Indivision flicker fixers and "newer" cards coming down the pipe, I think the whole PAL/ NTSC thing will be a distant memory. I was extremely lucky to find a NTCS A600 last week, But If I would have got a PAL model, it would have made no difference, unless I wanted to hook it up to a TV set, as I would have just used one of my Commodore Monitors. I guess to us, here, We just get used to the fact that we might have to have A PAL unit, because that's all we can find.
    My new blog at http://amigalounge.com is Amiga browsing friendly, stop on by for cool tech news with a geeky slant.Youtube video channel is Glenvdb1. My prices go UP once something is tested and verified working, your opportunity to save money on Untested "As is" merchandise. my things are now only posted for a week at a time,I am a Smoker

Positively negative VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Cheltenham UK
    Region:
    Cheltenham
    Feedback
    142 (100%)

hi,
    i have had a look at your site m8y, and it's fine, i think that it's in Canada would put me off buying because of the shipping to the UK, if the miggy is as rare over there as i think, i would have thought that only Canadians and really rare item are going to see any movement.
    Cheers, JuvUK

P.S MEGASXLR rox!
    Official Amiga Walker
    join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/170601321614/

Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JuvUK
    hi,
    i have had a look at your site m8y, and it's fine, i think that it's in Canada would put me off buying because of the shipping to the UK, if the miggy is as rare over there as i think, i would have thought that only Canadians and really rare item are going to see any movement.
    Cheers, JuvUK

P.S MEGASXLR rox!
    Thanks for the input, and I think you are right, but limited to both US and Canada, But the manuals and books should be ok for shipping. If I was rich and smart, I would buy up all the A600's from over in the UK and sell them here. They are ultra rare here. I just got mine in yesterday,took me forever to hunt down here.
    I am surprised you know MEGAS.. I did not know it aired outside of North America.Too bad it only lasted like 2 or 3 seasons

Retro Girl Staff Moderator SkydivinGirl's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Raleigh, NC
    Feedback
    185 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JuvUK
    i would have thought that only Canadians and really rare item are going to see any movement
    Should this go in the 2009 Quotes thread?

hehe

Heather
    Promoted to Level II Solder Tech and Hackery Padawan

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (100%)

Hi quarkx

I think I should pick up from where Kinnie left off and explain one or two things.

When AmiBay was set up back at the end of 2007, we kicked around the idea of free access for all to the site for a while, before we agreed that AmiBay was about the community and the members, not about profit. With that in mind, when the Recycle Bin idea was transferred over from OldSkoolUK, we chose to make it restricted access.

The main reason was that there are several people who apparently seem to make a respectable sideline out of trading in retro hardware and software, either though auction sites like eBay or eBid, or through sites like Gumtree, Craigslist, etc. To make the Recycle Bin available to all would potentially allow unscrupulous traders (present company excepted ) to snap up all of these items just for the shipping cost, to be offered elsewhere at a profit; this is the complete anathema of what we are about.

All we are trying to do is protect the community which we serve from the exploitation that certain traders have created on other sites and and have tried to perpetuate in recent years. It was because of this exploitation of a 'captive market' that we chose to create AmiBay as an alternative to support the community, and also as a replacement for AmiBench, which closed in November 2007 after ten years.

We are not anti-trader, otherwise we would not have created this area of the site for bone fide traders to offer products and services to the members.

We do, however, spend a lot of time trying to protect the members of this site from price driving and the dubious practices that go on elsewhere.

I hope that this has clarified things for you.
    The future's so Retr0bright, I gotta wear shades.....

As rkauer said:-
    "Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

Country
    Canada
    Region:
    Edmonton, Alberta,
    Feedback
    67 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    Hi quarkx

I think I should pick up from where Kinnie left off and explain one or two things.

When AmiBay was set up back at the end of 2007, we kicked around the idea of free access for all to the site for a while, before we agreed that AmiBay was about the community and the members, not about profit. With that in mind, when the Recycle Bin idea was transferred over from OldSkoolUK, we chose to make it restricted access.

The main reason was that there are several people who apparently seem to make a respectable sideline out of trading in retro hardware and software, either though auction sites like eBay or eBid, or through sites like Gumtree, Craigslist, etc. To make the Recycle Bin available to all would potentially allow unscrupulous traders (present company excepted ) to snap up all of these items just for the shipping cost, to be offered elsewhere at a profit; this is the complete anathema of what we are about.

All we are trying to do is protect the community which we serve from the exploitation that certain traders have created on other sites and and have tried to perpetuate in recent years. It was because of this exploitation of a 'captive market' that we chose to create AmiBay as an alternative to support the community, and also as a replacement for AmiBench, which closed in November 2007 after ten years.

We are not anti-trader, otherwise we would not have created this area of the site for bone fide traders to offer products and services to the members.

We do, however, spend a lot of time trying to protect the members of this site from price driving and the dubious practices that go on elsewhere.

I hope that this has clarified things for you.
    @merlin,
    Thanks, I was never in any doubt, As anyone can see, my prices and products are not influenced by what "others" are selling them for. I just have a ton of extra stuff, and instead of spending a ton of money on the other other bay listing, and relististing and opening up a ton of threads here, I put them all up on a store thats is costing me next to nothing a month. If people are looking for specific stuff, I always invite the to e-mail or PM me. I am not looking to get rich with this, but the money is going back into the hobby and get the stuff that I want or need. The bulk of my store is books and manuals. I inherited tons when a programmer for Xerox past away last summer. I still have boxes to go through yet, and I know I will never get to his level, so they are offered there.

Inactive Member
    Amibayer!
    Country
    the Netherlands
    Region:
    Breda area
    Feedback
    13 (100%)

If you want my humble opinion:

1> i think a big part of amibay members are from the EU. Shipping to our parts is really very expensive form Australia.

2> Your prices, for EU standards, are (with some exceptions) insane. I do however know that in Australia/US some items are rare and expensive, which are really easy to get and cheap in Europe.

You offer A500's NTSC (we have PAL) for 100 dollars (with extra shipping to Europe). You offer an NTSC CD32 for 250 dollars (with extra shipping to Europe). You offer A1000's for 300 dollars (with extra shippinh to europe).

No sane european will pay these prices for those machines (I cant' tell you the prices we pay for stuff like that here since that could be seen as price diving, but it is ALOT less in most cases).

I think you should focus on the american market, since that is probably where your potential buyers will be, I am not sure how much americans are on amibay but i don't think it's the majority.

Your shop looks quite fine otherwise, it's not very professional, but I don't think that would make any difference. Reputation is worth more then the look of your site in the end. Once people get to know you and the site, they will more easily buy from you.
    Last edited by JiggyMF; 23rd May 2010 at 16:20. Reason: edited typos

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast