Not open for further replies.

silver

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
UK
Region
London
I'm looking to pick up a IDE64 v3.1 or v3.4.

I don't the flash new features (USB etc.) of the new 4.1 version so after something cheaper....

Re: Anyone have a IDE64 v3.1 or 3.4?

I looked into the IDE64 in the past but I was looking for a Floppy Drive replacement so I ended up getting a 1541 Ultimate. If you are really looking for a less expensive alternative, the uIEC might be a good alternative. I purchased one recently on eBay for less than half the cost of an IDE64. It has pretty decent floppy emulation and I was able to play Pool of Radiance from a D64 image with no problem! It does not support fastloaders.

The bad parts of the device are that the manual is almost non-existent and some of the commands are awkward. Other than that, it works great! PM me if you want the e-mail address of the person who makes and sells them.

http://www.c64-wiki.com/index.php/uIEC

Take care,

Heather

Hi,

Thanks for the info, I will take a look. Does uIEC have a similar in-built filemanager to ide64 (i.e. for launching sids/programs/games)?

Unfortunately, it does not. The device plugs into the Floppy Drive port and you access it using disk commands. You look at the directories and sub-directories using the load"$",8 command. It definitely has some limitations but I like it.

Take care,

Heather

Ok great. Thanks very much for the info...

I'll see if I can pick up an older ide64 anyway, but use your suggestion as a backup...

Cheers

Hmmm, more I read, perhaps ide64 is not the way to go.

1541 ultimate looks pretty good, although again very pricey, but appears to work with most software.

It's unclear to me how many programs/games don't work on uIEC and IDE64 devices (without 1541 hardware emulation) and how many are available in "cracked" working versions...

From what I have been able to tell, the IDE64 is ideal for using PRG files, not D64 images since there is no real 1541 emulation. The 1541 Ultimate is the ideal solution but, as you said, it is also the most expensive. I was able to use the uIEC to actually load and play D64 images that do not use a fast loader. Unfortunately, any software that loads programs into the 1541 in addition to the C64 will not work on anything but the 1541 Ultimate (from what I know).

If you want a fast, inexpensive way to get decent 1541 emulation then I would use the uIEC or XA1541. If you want excellent compatibility then the 1541 Ultimate is the way to go.

Heather

How possible is it to convert D64 fastloader games to prg files or m2i files?

Has this already been done for all/lots of fastloader games?

You can always extract PRG files from a D64 image but the problem is that most games that use fastloaders are multiple files and must be used in an emulated 1541 drive. As I said, the uIEC gives rudimentary 1541 emulation but does not work with fastloaders. There are some games that allow you to disable the fastloader but not many. :(

znarF's M2I List shows what games will definitely work with the uIEC.

There is another IEC product called SD2IEC that has the same restrictions as the uIEC. The Wiki for SD2IEC states:

Expect almost all software that runs in VICE without exact floppy emulation to work (at least in D64 mode). Note that in Gamebase64 Advanced Search you can explicitly search for "No true drive emulation needed"
And...

Also most applications that have been fixed for IDE64 should work.

I hope this helps! :)

Heather

Thanks for the info!

Ask mikron on ircnet, if you're still after one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom