switcher rom, amiga 500+ topic help thread,

pucca4466

Banned
Country
England
Region
Lancashire
hi tbtorro and other's, uploading pics so if other's can't find correct location for the rom switcher im hoping it will help and also if any problems may be they can be answered here,

one problem that has been found is when switching to the 1.3 rom the screen goes multi coloured and then blank with nothing, when booting normal 2.0 screen show, both rom's work fine in the machine on there own, but fail to switch either way when placed in the rom switcher,

Attachments

• amiga rom's in rom switcher hopefuly correct way.jpg
    amiga rom's in rom switcher hopefuly correct way.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1
  • main rom chip holder.jpg
    main rom chip holder.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3
  • installing rom switcher pin 8 odd chip.jpg
    installing rom switcher pin 8 odd chip.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 3
  • pin 5 gary chip.jpg
    pin 5 gary chip.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 0
I do not get the point, but the switch operated rom switches require power cycle on the amiga psu. I hope this is relevant.:roll: They do not operate while the amiga has power.

rom

rom

I do not get the point, but the switch operated rom switches require power cycle on the amiga psu. I hope this is relevant.:roll: They do not operate while the amiga has power.

(power is off during change over)

hi,

the rom switcher is an auto switcher where you hold the left mouse button down when you turn on the power, the problem with it is that it won't change to the 1.3, know i suppose i may not be on the same wave length but, the rear of the switcher is covered so it can't make contact with the board and cause a short,

(some say a wire?)
so where is the wire that need's to be soldered to cause a switch as it say's nothing for one??

all it states is connect the red and black wire, red to pin 8 odd chip, black wire to pin 5 gary chip??

put in your rom's as described by diagram and there you go,
so what am i missing?

Attachments

• main rom connector.jpg
    main rom connector.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1
  • instruction for switcher.jpg
    instruction for switcher.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 2
  • rear of switcher.jpg
    rear of switcher.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1
  • close up of rom holder's.jpg
    close up of rom holder's.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 3
rom

rom

same type of item accept this dosn't use a jumper, this is controlled by the black and red wire, and by the use of the left mouse button when power is turned on, to change back to 2.0 you do not hold the mouse button down, when you wont to boot in to 1.3 you hold left mouse button down and turn on power, the best person to ask tbtorro he knows more about the unit, in pm it could be the unit so we will change it over and hope thing's are ok,

---------- Post added at 22:43 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

in the picture you show of the 1.3 rom with the cut out away from the chip if you look at the diagram the both rom chip's face same way??

in the picture you show of the 1.3 rom with the cut out away from the chip if you look at the diagram the both rom chip's face same way??

I had something similair in my 2000HD years ago and as far as I remember - yes both chips faced the same way. Whichever way that was.

Dave G :cool:

rom

rom

thank you davideo,

in the diagram it shows the rom's word with the cut out both the same way, but in the picture sent by jvcbossc it shows the 1.3 rom facing the opposite direction, so really confusing to other's who may not be clued up on what way is correct or wrong, would be nice if it can be that when a rom switcher is being sold a picture of the correct position of the rom's is also displayed so there's no mix up in the different kind's of rom switcher's out there,

Have you got two version 2 ROMS?

Can you try it with both of those in and see if it works?

rom

rom

here are the step's i have done to check the switcher,

made sure all cable's and rom's are properly seated in the correct housing,
made sure the wire's are on the correct pin's,

when both rom's are in the switcher it will boot to 2.0 rom in bay two as that is the startup rom holder,
when power is turned of and left mouse depressed and turned back on screen omit's multi colour like a commmodore 64 game loading then nothing blank screen, both rom's will work in the master rom port in the amiga 500+, but both fail to switch in the rom switcher, no matter what way round they are,
2.0 then 1.3 or 1.3 then 2.0, they haven't been tested with rom port two chip facing the red and black wire and rom port one chip facing the wrong direction, im brave but not stupid lol,, debatable i heard some one say. cheek lol, :p,

both have been facing same way toward's red and black wire, both odd and gary chip well seated to make connection, and still no joy, fails every time, not more i can try other then switch rom's in different direction's and i don't realy won't to try that in case it damage my machine, not well of in the finance department so have to be really careful with my computer,

hope this help's a bit more,

@pucca

I know tbtorro has said that if you want to send it back to him he will test it for you but if you want to send it to me I can try it for you.

I don't need the ROMS just the board you got from tbtorro.

rom's

rom's

it would be great to send it to you for you to try but if i send it to you and some thing is wrong tbtorro is well with in his right to refuse a replacement unit then im stuck with out a replacement,
but thank you so much for offering its very kind of you to do so, but think it's best i send to tbtorro that way im staying in side the rule's of buying so to speak, hope it make's sense, i do know the rom's fine, just think it's a faulty chip at the end of the board or a bit of solder during the making of it over lapped or something, but can't look under it as it has a card clued to the base and im not going to move it as it's best tbtorro check's it and see's for him self, so sending the rom back as well. before i test the new switcher im testing the rom to make sure its fine and hasn't got a knock during transit over here, that way if the rom's fine and 2.0 is fine any way, the switcher finger's crossed should work,

Attachments

• uukickswitch.jpg
    uukickswitch.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 4
rom

rom

( has picture in mind of rom chip being constipated under a load of presure :oops: ) and some thing has got to give with that,, bye bye rom chip or board,

( has picture in mind of rom chip being constipated under a load of presure :oops: ) and some thing has got to give with that,, bye bye rom chip or board,

If I get a chance I'll dig my old switcher out and have a look at it. I'm sure it's the same one.

Guys, I know you all mean well but I think this is way too much effort for a simple item.

I will have the switch back from pucca4466, test it and if faulty I'll promptly send him a new switch that I will test fully - case closed.

rom

rom

thank you, also thinking of getting a amiga 500 just in case, was hoping it wouldn't be so much trouble, put my amiga 500+ back together and it failed to read a disk? tried a second time read half the disk software error? ok not happy, tried a third time and it booted fine, so just think it was being lazy and couldn't be bothered reading the disk. once booted memory/gary/denise/agnus all checked out fine in system checking i have, so im happy :)

Guys, I know you all mean well but I think this is way too much effort for a simple item.

I will have the switch back from pucca4466, test it and if faulty I'll promptly send him a new switch that I will test fully - case closed.

I didn't doubt you for one minute matey (y)

Out of interest, was your 500+ working Ok prior to the ROM switcher being installed? Does it still have it's battery?

rom

rom

tbtorro, it's also going through thing's so if any one ever get's a rom switcher from some one eles it may give them idea's on how to trouble shoot (fault find)
they may have for goten to do some thing,

one thing's is clear tbtorro your a great guy and this is no way intended to demise the great product's you sell out, its just one of them thing's that happens even in real life at shop's or super market,

just trying to give as much info to other's so they can as i said fault find or they missed some thing,,

rom

rom

here's a pic of my battery it's new installed my self (cleaver boy really i am)

Attachments

• how nice my battery is amiga 500+.jpg
    how nice my battery is amiga 500+.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom