slk486

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW
VIP
Country
Denmark
Region
Sealand
Hi guys,

posted this on EAB a few months ago, but haven't gotten it fixed, so thought maybe some of the wizzes here might have suggestions :)

For a long time I've had problems running most whdload games through my WB, but they all work on a minimal startup.

Yesterday I decided to find out what exactly was causing the issue and got it down to the P96 driver for my Piccolo SD64. As soon as I remove that from devs/monitors, whdload works normally. Also tried rearranging and commenting out all sorts of stuff in the Startup-Sequence to no avail.

Any experience with this out there? I've tried different screen modes and some of the tooltype options (both whdload and the driver), but no luck so far. Again, everything works fine booting without the Piccolo driver. Should I just get another RTS card?

guru.gif

Note: I should mention I'm using WHDLoad 17.0 and WB3.1 on a 060 with 128mb.

have you tried this?

If you are using the Picasso96 software you must make sure that the option FakeNativeModes is set to NO (tooltype of the monitor driver). Otherwise there will be graphics errors and maybe crashes.

http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/bugs.html

also don't get another RTG card for this, I had one and it's great - like having a CV64 (not the crap /3D model) ... what you need to do is upgrade to CGX4 though :D

Yes, FakeNativeModes is disabled (NO).

I could upgrade to CGX4, but I have no experience with it. Why do you recommend it over Picasso96?

First of all you will kiss your whdload probs goodbye :LOL:
Second it is just a better package, from the config tools to the way it works...
P96 is great BUT it has some probs here and there... unless you have a picassoIV there is no real point in using it instead of cgx - and due to popular (mis)belief p96 is not free for cards other than pIV...

Allright, I should give it a shot. Point me to the best package for me, my hero? :roll:

Ok, removed Picasso96 drivers and installed CGX with the R6 update.

Now I get the CGX boot screen, then black. Guessing it's a passthrough issue, since I haven't chosen a CGX screenmode yet?

NOPASSTHROUGH is NOT set..

have you connected your scandoubler to the SD64 input? you should see the AGA screen from the passthrough... when you select/setup your cgx screenmodes then it will boot to them as normal :D

Yes, the Indivision logo is displayed on boot, and I can see the boot menu, if I hold both mouse buttons. So far I really like CGX :LOL:

just mess with the NOPASSTHROUGH tooltype then, it willl work :LOL:
memory is fuzzy after 3-4 years I used a rtg amiga :roll:

edit: also be sure to apply the update, even if you don't see any output from psd64 , it fixes some serious bugs for 3.9 (I assume u use 3.9?)

Last edited:
just mess with the NOPASSTHROUGH tooltype then, it willl work :LOL:
memory is fuzzy after 3-4 years I used a rtg amiga :roll:

edit: also be sure to apply the update, even if you don't see any output from psd64 , it fixes some serious bugs for 3.9 (I assume u use 3.9?)

No I'm on WB3.1 (says so in op :p). I did apply the RC6 update from the start though.

I don't get along very well with CGX. I can't get it to display anything after the CGX logo and if I comment out the execute monitor stuff in the startup-sequence, manually execute the Picco CGX driver, and try to select a screenmode, the Amiga crashes :mad:

maybe it is because you had p96 installed before?
it was always straight forward for me, from A2000 setups to G-rex4000 ones... install, adjust some screenmodes and just working... :unsure:

Interesting thread!!
Could that be the same problem on my A2000 (see my own thread on amibay)?
I do have a P96 setup with a Spectrum 28/24 board and FakenativeMode is set to no.
My safety partition, which is ECS only is perfect now with any WHDLOAD game.
However, only kickemu WHDLOAD games are not working in my case, and i never had any problem with P96 so far (including CyberVision64 3D and Pixel64 on other systems).

maybe it is because you had p96 installed before?
it was always straight forward for me, from A2000 setups to G-rex4000 ones... install, adjust some screenmodes and just working... :unsure:

I'll try to locate and remove any p96 trace and see if it makes a difference.

Interesting thread!!
Could that be the same problem on my A2000 (see my own thread on amibay)?
I do have a P96 setup with a Spectrum 28/24 board and FakenativeMode is set to no.
My safety partition, which is ECS only is perfect now with any WHDLOAD game.
However, only kickemu WHDLOAD games are not working in my case, and i never had any problem with P96 so far (including CyberVision64 3D and Pixel64 on other systems).

AFAIR a few games do work, but I never made the connection with kickemu. I'll try a few and see if there could be one.

slk486 you should really make a small test setup with fresh 3.1+cgx and see how that goes...

Aw man, thats so much work :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am investigating quickly this Picasso 96 clue.

First, i have discovered that Picasso96 from aminet is 2.0 and not the latest. So i have updated to 2.1b, but i still have a black screen from kickemu games.

Then, i have checked the tooltypes from the monitor icon of my CVision64 3D in the backup of my A4000 partition, and they are not the same at all than in my A2000. Several lines are missing, including the so-called FakeModes. On the A4000, i had no problem with whdload.

We have something there.

That's it!!!
Picasso96 is the software that causes the kickemu whdload games to not work.
I have proved it by copying my main partition to my emergency partition, then removing Picasso96, and then every game works fine. With CGX V4 it still works.

However, i can't manage to set up CGX in a fine way. The picture quality is awful and i can't set up any screenmode.
I would definitly prefer to use Picasso96 which is much user friendly.

Would there be any hope of a solution apart from going CGX?

Glad you got that figured. If there's a solution I'd love to hear about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom