Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hey Yop,

Wondering if anyone has had this issue, I've not used my A4000D for a while and switched it on today for a quick session.

I tried to play some games like Quake, Gloom, Genetic & Species in RTG @ 320x240 but that resolution crashes the system :eek:

I'm sure it never used to do that so I'm stumpted. I tested RTG modes 640x480/800x600/1024x768 and they all work fine and Native Modes via the Scan Doubler also work fine. (So I can still play the games in AGA)

Anyone have any idea what might cause that?

I'm using Picasso96 as I has a PicassoIV in this machine before, I guess I could try CGX4 instead now I have the CV64/3D and see if that helps?

It's a pretty loaded system, Deneb, Tocatta & DKB3128 in the other slots, oh and it's Buster9 :coffee:

CPU is WarpEngine4040 which recently replaces the CSMkII 060 I had in there.

Cheers!

Steve.

What do you mean by crashing the system ? Freeze ? Black screen ?

When you say you tested the resolution, did you do that in the game or in sys:prefs/picasso screenmodes (is 320x240 is working there) ?

Otherwise try to reinstall P96 using the script for your card ;)

I had the same issue. In my A4000 with this board i was unable to set up 320*240 (which i needed for PC-Task for instance), and i had strange yellow lines on the screen and the amiga was freezed. I thought that my ASUS LCD is not compatible with a resolution as low, but later i had it to work in 320*240 with a GVP Spectrum. I used Picasso96 2.0.

@CMN, it locks up the system with a corrupt graphics output. Even the screenmode test in Picasso96Mode.

@Xanxi, yeah it's strange I even used to use it 320x240 for many games so something must have changed in my system to cause the issue.

The two most recent things, I've installed HSMath Libs (fully registered for 040) and I'm using a WarpEngine4040 instead of the CSMkII so I will check if there is another 040/lib I should be using and reinstall P96 (or just change to CGX4) :coffee:

Cheers!

Hi Steve,

I don't have time to test just now but should be able to on Sunday. Will test Doom and Genetic Species if I get the chance and report back. My system is pretty similar to yours, A4000D, CV64 3D with scan doubler, Warpengine @ 40MHz, Deneb & Tocatta with a Buster 11.

I managed to get P96 running a while back with the CV64 3D but when I setup a larger HD I could not for the life of me get it to work and so am using CGX V4, which I like. For some reason though it doesn't have all the screen modes already setup, I still need to manually set some up-finding the time to finish this project is my problem!

Will let you know,

Robert

Did you try to change the clock speed on this resolution ?

Yep, same - crashtastic but with different colours on screen :LOL:

@RMK

Many thanks (y)

I think maybe I'll be ok with CGX4, what 040lib do you use? - is there one especially for the WarpEngine?

(I didn't get any manuals/Disks)

Cheers!

Steve.

I don't think this has anything to do with the WarpEngine. I had this accelerator too, but moving to the CyberStorm MK2 060 did not fix the 320*240 problem.

Steve,

I just tried Doom on 320x240 under CGFX V4 and it worked fine. I tried Genetic Species from the CD but couldn't get past the intro/developer list as I haven't played it in ages or even installed it on this machine yet as I'm still trying to get it up and running lol :oops:

I have a manual and disk for the warpengine. The disk has SCSI tools and a 040 library. However, I'm not using the library from the disk, I'm only using the one that installs with OS3.9! I may have to play around with the Warp version to see if it makes any diference.

On another note I saw you mention in another post about the lack of HD led for SCSI drived connected to the card. Check to se if your HD pin out has pins for HD led's (y)

Keep us posted on how it goes,

Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for the info (y)

I'll update to CGX4 when I get the time later in the week :)

I'll let you know how I get on, I'm sure it's not a lib issue as my app's/games are working perfect in AGA or 640x480, etc :cool:

Cheers!

Steve.

Genetic Species needs installation of companion software, most is not in the package. Read the documentation and download the missing bits from Aminet.

Sorry to go off topic but I forgot to ask earlier. Are you able to run your DENEB in DMA mode or are you running it in Zorro 2? Mine is only Z2 mode and I'm wondering if the CV64 3D is the issue - have removed everything else and it makes no difference and I don't want to remove the CV3D as it's a real drama fitting it with the scan doubler module :dry:

Sorry to go off topic but I forgot to ask earlier. Are you able to run your DENEB in DMA mode or are you running it in Zorro 2? Mine is only Z2 mode and I'm wondering if the CV64 3D is the issue - have removed everything else and it makes no difference and I don't want to remove the CV3D as it's a real drama fitting it with the scan doubler module :dry:

Hi, yes in this system my Deneb is running in DMA mode, maybe I'm lucky that I have Buster9 in this machine :LOL:

I know Cosmicfrog had issues with his CV64/3D and Deneb, I'm not sure if an updated firmware fixed it or not.

I do get a green screen flash up on first power on and then it starts to boot normally, something isn't quite right there but other than the 320x240 issue everything works as it should and super fast.

I've not actually had a chance to install CGX4 yet as the CD Drive isn't hooked up so I was going to put the files on my USB pen, my other A4000 project has been taking up all my time :dry:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?p=258839#post258839 :ninja:

I'll report back once I get it done as I'm sure that CGX4 will sort it out...

Interesting, I've tried with Rev. 9 & 11 busters. Hmmmm :blink:

Grrr this gets worse lol.

I installed CGX4 using usb dvdrw drive lol, all went well I thought and I edited the CGXMode with some new settings.

After a reboot the RTG screens do not show up in the screen modes lists, I get the CGX splash screen so I know the RTG is working. The CV64/3D seems to be dectected but even the test screens wont open :help:

After playing with a few of the tool types the damn thing wont boot now.

Always the way, you try to fix a little issue and end up with a bigger one :Doh:

It seems to lock up after the CGX4 splash screen now, the tool type that seems to have caused the crash was the 'MultiMediaMem' one that saves 1mb for MultiMedia stuffz...

Have you disabled Fblit/Ftext, BlazeWCP, IconsBeFast and CyberBugFix?

Have you disabled Fblit/Ftext, BlazeWCP, IconsBeFast and CyberBugFix?

Yeah bro, everything like that is disabled already.

I changed back all the ENVARC settings and it's still locking up a few seconds after booting, I think I screwed up removing Picasso96 and installing CGX4.

Since it was only a basic CWB 3.9 with a few drivers installed I'm going to start from a fresh image :)

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Well I figured out the lockup issue, I noticed it was locking up as the Tocatta Mixer kicked in, sure enough removing the Tocatta sorted that out, and once reseated working again as normal!

So back with Picasso96 and no 320x240 but sod it, I'll just play Doom in AGA :LOL:

I'm sorry to ressurect this but I JUST had this problem start happening. I've recently installed a Toccata, but after doing so 320x240 worked perfectly. Since then I've been messing around trying to get audio software installed (several versions of AHI, lots of libraries for HD-REC and ProAudioStation etc.) and now I get those strange vertical lines and system freeze when using 320x240 screenmodes (except for genetic species, that just goes black but the system hangs) and it worked after just installing genetic species and AHI 4.18. I will try rolling back as much as possible, but has anyone made any progress troubleshooting this?

I'm on an A1200 with ZIV busboard, CV64/3D, Toccata, Xsurf100, Rapidroad, FastATAziv, Blizzard 1260/SCSI 256mb ram.

When the system hangs I usually have to do a cold reboot or else it wont work.

EDIT: I've tried deleting all the files I installed, and doing as much as possible to get back to the point where everything worked but no luck.

Last edited:
Hi, wow this is an old thread and I'm struggling to remember these issues now as for the longest time I had it all setup and working fine with the Toccata including all screen modes including 320x240 as you can see in this Video:

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI2uQnMozb0[/m]

If you PM I'll send you all the files I have for the Toccata, sorry to tell you though I don't have this system anymore somewhat regrettably.

I have a backup of the exact system as it was back in those days so I can tell you what all the versions were too if this helps.

I was using Picasso96 (failed to get CGX4 working)

Thank you @fitzsteve! I managed to get my machine working again. I hava a backup og my system partition from a couple of months ago and reverting to that got everything working. I'll be reinstalling some stuff now, making lots of backups to see if I can see what breaks it.
If anyone has a similar problem they might be able to find some answers in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom