Xanxi

AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
France
Region
Paris
Hi.

I have a laptop which PSU outputs 19V and 2,15 A.
I need another PSU for my travel bag. I have the PSU from another laptop, with a compatible plug, which outputs 19V and 3,65 A.

I would like to be sure that there is no danger in using the more powerful PSU, and that the battery will not overheat or something.

What do you think you computers gurus?

The higher rated PSU will be fine, so long as it has the same connector. Its a lower-rated PSU that you want to avoid. Also good to avoid cheapo chinese laptop PSU replacements. They don't seem to live very long and get very hot.

The higher rated PSU will be fine, so long as it has the same connector. Its a lower-rated PSU that you want to avoid. Also good to avoid cheapo chinese laptop PSU replacements. They don't seem to live very long and get very hot.

Great! No reason to worry about battery overheating then? Will it charge the battery faster?

The computer should only draw the amount of power that it can handle. I believe most modern electronics are designed this way. If the computer is capable of using the extra amps to charge the battery then it will. :)

Heather

The voltage must be the same and the amphere should be the same or higher.

Don't forget to make sure the polarity is the same as the original power supply just in case :)

Well, i'm out of luck.
Although the plug diameters are the same, there is on the original PSU an outer plastic part that the second one lacks (see picture). Hence, there is no contact with the second PSU and the computer does not charge.
Unless it is possible to modify that, i need another PSU after all.

scaled.php

Hi.

I have a laptop which PSU outputs 19V and 2,15 A.
I need another PSU for my travel bag. I have the PSU from another laptop, with a compatible plug, which outputs 19V and 3,65 A.

I would like to be sure that there is no danger in using the more powerful PSU, and that the battery will not overheat or something.

What do you think you computers gurus?

the only thing you have to be aware of is the polarity of the supply voltage,more amps wont hurt it at all it just uses what it needs.

as for the plug you can get a replacement plug and socket and wire it accordingly(like a passthrough adaptor)

Well, i'm out of luck.
Although the plug diameters are the same, there is on the original PSU an outer plastic part that the second one lacks (see picture). Hence, there is no contact with the second PSU and the computer does not charge.
Unless it is possible to modify that, i need another PSU after all.

scaled.php

If the second connector with the large hole in the centre is the spare power supply, you could use a pop rivet (take out the shaft from the rivet) to make electrical contact ie try some different sized rivets and see which fits best. I did this for my old laptop and it worked fine, especially with a working battery in the laptop to keep the power there in case the cable gets moved.

LOL I`ve used 12v Computer PSUs before now, always make sure the AMPs is the same or higer

Finally, i have ordered a replacement PSU from ebay (from a reputable Canadian seller to avoid chinese crap).
Thanks for your help. (y)

Back
Top Bottom