memory help for my new pc

morcar

Banned
Country
UK
Region
Wales, UK
my motherboard specs says this

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture

does this mean i have to buy 2 matching pairs or will a single stick work on it ?

I am asking because i got all my pc parts and i placed the single stick in and i get nothing. The fan on the cpu starts and the gfx card fan goes but nothing on the screen at all.

No you dont HAVE to have more than one stick in. The stick is either not properly seated, incompatible or broken :)

Have you tried the mobo/gfx card with another stick?

Most motherboards support a single memory stick. but it often has to be in a specific slot.
Check the manual, usually there's some info on where a single stick should be placed.

If it's a new mobo, often times these things can be fixed by reinserting the stick and making absolutely sure it's well seated. Blow on the socket, blow on the stick. Make sure there is no dirt on the socket/stick.

Reset the bios via the jumpers, if you can't see the jumper, then pull the battery out for a few secs, put it back in and boot up, should load safe default values.

If it's a new mobo, often times these things can be fixed by reinserting the stick and making absolutely sure it's well seated. Blow on the socket, blow on the stick. Make sure there is no dirt on the socket/stick.

making sure you don't spray spit whilst you do. :roll:

nagh blowing on it is all right but for best result give it a bloody good talking to

really cant see why one stick should`t work unless its duff or the mobo is

Some boards can be quite fussy with memory. I have an Asus Socket AM3 board here that can't see Mushkin memory but sees Corsair memory with no problem.

I am asking because i got all my pc parts and i placed the single stick in and i get nothing. The fan on the cpu starts and the gfx card fan goes but nothing on the screen at all.

Why do you think it is the ram? If the system seems to be running (fans are spinning when powered up) but you are not getting anything displayed then it is posting something, but not outputting it to the monitor.

Do you have a case speaker plugged into the motherboard speaker connector (you find this as part of the pins for connecting the case front panel wires). This will beep different sequences that will tell you what the problem is.

One simple thing if you have a graphics card with multiple monitor outputs is that many are fussy about which port you have the monitor connected to. The last 2 AMD Radeon cards I have owned both needed it connected to the top DVI port or it would boot, but not display anything, and you can't just swap the cables whilst running, but have to power down and reboot.

Also as someone else mentioned, many motherboards require 1 stick of ram to be in a specific slot, which will be shown in the motherboard manual. For Asus boards this is always the second slot from the CPU (for example).

i would have said check the mobo graphics out but none on that board. could be bios version with you processor. has your gpu got pcix power connected

Current graphics cards normally will post OK at the bios without the extra power connectors plugged in. It's only once the card is asked to do more work than the PCI-E bus can supply that the system would fall over.

However it is definitely something else worth considering is the issue. As I said before look in the motherboard manual and see if it has beep error codes listed and you connect a speaker up to the motherboard to hear them. This should tell you the issue.

BTW, just picked up a new Asus board myself and it has a really cool feature. An LED next to every main component (CPU, Ram, GPU and boot drive). If any of them have an issue at post it keeps the LED for that hardware lit up.

ok looking on google as i am now getting 1 long beep and 2 short ones i think the memory is incompatable i will know if this is right as i will buy new memory today.

sorry typo there 1 long beep and 3 short ones

we will know if its the memory as i should have more tommorow ... still gutted though

Back
Top Bottom