"Half-Life 2: Lost Coast" Stress test results

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
I thought it might be interesting to see what results you all get running the Half-Life 2: Lost Coast stress test on the following settings:

• Resolution 1280x1024 (LCD)
  • Normal Aspect (4:3)
  • Full Screen
  • Water Detail: Reflect All
  • Color Correction: Enabled
  • AA: 4x MSAA
  • Filtering: Anisotropic 4x
  • HDR: Full (if available)

For my older Q6600 system I get 177 FPS

Spec: Q6600 at 3GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz ram, ATI 4870 1GB GPU

For my new i7 2600K system I get 273 FPS

Spec: i7 2600K at stock 3.4GHz (3.8GHz TB), 16GB DDR3 1600MHz ram, ATI 6950 2GB GPU.

So what do you get?

Got HL2 downloading now, will post results later tonight once it's finished :)

HL2 uses the same stress test.

They used to be different as Lost Coast was released as a demo to highlight enhancements to the game, they've since been patched into HL2 :)

sadly i cant do this as i dont have either but i will test out 3d mark 11 on the standard settings and let you know the marks i get

My Samsung Laptop (would only let me select 1024x768,):

Core i5-2430m, 6gb DDR3, Intel HD Graphics

Average FPS: 69.68

Will test on my desktop later.

That's quite impressive with Intel HD Graphics. Is it the GPU build into the CPU? Or separate?

In general for integrated graphics I've been impressed with the Intel CPU integrated GPUs. For anyone not into current PC gaming, that just needs a general purpose PC, they really don't need a discrete GPU any more, just a motherboard that supports the one built into the CPU.

My i3 system is running the CPU's built in GPU Intel HD graphics so I'm now tempted to run it on there and see what it can produce.

Was just wondering. HL2 was finally released for Mac OSX in 2010 via steam. Does that also include Lost Coast? And if so the stress test? If it does then it would be great to see some Mac uses post your scores as well to see what you can get.

I just ran it 3 times:

1) 277
2) 273
3) 275

GPU was 40-50% used. Was hitting frames of 300+ lol This is why I use MSI to limit all games to 60fps max :)

A lot of newer games allow you to restrict the framerate, and I generally do set it to 60fps these days because there isn't really any benefit to it running more on a monitor that can only display 60fps. Although many hardcore gamers believe that allowing it to run at maximum settings in FPS games does make for faster game response and reaction time. Not sure how much of that statement is true or psychological though.

A lot of newer games allow you to restrict the framerate, and I generally do set it to 60fps these days because there isn't really any benefit to it running more on a monitor that can only display 60fps. Although many hardcore gamers believe that allowing it to run at maximum settings in FPS games does make for faster game response and reaction time. Not sure how much of that statement is true or psychological though.

Yeah, well anything more on 60fps on my monitor I won't be able to see it anyway. Also games like Dead Space that run at 300fps, fans are going crazy, at least at 60fps the fans are quiet :)

I just maxed out HL 1920x1080 with every setting maxed out and the benchmark was 268.

Mine was 262 when I ran it the other day. So I expect the HL2 test is hitting a ceiling in performance and we are running it to the fastest it can manage.

BTW, one funny thing I got when I did this, and I think its related to the filtering, is that some of of the graphics went pink/purple. Towards the beginning of the test it was the bottom parts of the rocks on the shore/harbour area, and later it was the reflections/light in the windows. Also it appeared inside the church on the lamp reflective maps. Very odd. I'm wondering if its an ATI/driver issue. Dropping the Filtering back down from 16x to 8x got rid of it.

Mine was 262 when I ran it the other day. So I expect the HL2 test is hitting a ceiling in performance and we are running it to the fastest it can manage.

BTW, one funny thing I got when I did this, and I think its related to the filtering, is that some of of the graphics went pink/purple. Towards the beginning of the test it was the bottom parts of the rocks on the shore/harbour area, and later it was the reflections/light in the windows. Also it appeared inside the church on the lamp reflective maps. Very odd. I'm wondering if its an ATI/driver issue. Dropping the Filtering back down from 16x to 8x got rid of it.

Hey man,

Yeah you could be right I reckon we are hitting a wall with HL2 tests. I never got the colour thing, but then again I still run the 11.12 drivers. They seem to be the best at everything at the moment, I always say if it aint broke then leave the drivers alone :) I will upgrade at some point though.

just did the test: 268.21 fps

2600K at stock settings, 560ti and 16GB DDR3 on Z68 mobo

Just ran it Harrison (And re the mac version - I can't see it available for me to get on the Macbook...)

My machine is a couple of years old now. Running Win7 pro 64bit on AMD Phenom II (Black) X4 955 @3.2 Ghz with 8Gb RAM and an ATI 4850 (1Gb) video card.

I got 220 FPS (not brilliant - but not too shabby given the age of my machine compared to the new "i" processors).

Cheers

John

Back
Top Bottom