Requirements for DOOM/ HeXen etc?

TroelsDK

AmiBayer
Country
Denmark
Region
Holbæk
What would I need for DOOM II, HeXen, Alien Breed 3D and other FPS games to run smoothly on my A1200? I have atm. GVP 1230@50/ FPU68882/ 32MB Ram but that's clearly not enough... :dry:

I have a phase 5 blizzard 1260 and I can run Doom 2 and Alien Breed 3d ok. Doom 2 feels like playing on a high end 486... not silky smooth everywhere but generally its playable with max detail and biggest screensize. Some slowdowns in bigger areas though. Anything less than a 060 wouldn´t run it fast enough. I can shoot a small video with my video camera if you´d like that.
Out of all the clients I tried, I found ADOOM ran best and worked with music on.

Alien Breed 3d 2 isn´t fast enough even with a 1260 before patching it... But with this it is quite smooth indeed: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57716

Haven´t tried HeXen... maybe I should.

They will run better on 040 @ 25mhz (Like Apollo 1240/Blizzard 1240) and better still at 40mhz :)

I'd go for an 060 if you can afford one though as this will be very smooth indeed for the above games (except AB3D as that does not seem to improve at all with faster CPU)

Look for a Blizzard 1260 if you can as they can take up to 128mb(256mb with the SCSI kit) whereas the Apollo 1240/60 can only take 32mb in a Desktop setup or 64mb with an extra Simm socket fitted, but then it wont fit in a desktop anymore...

Steve.

Thanks man, it look very nice!

Even though it's a lot of money, I'm sure I'll eventually get a 1260 (y)

at least an 040@40mhz or an 060@50 for any of those fps games:)

I can vouch for DOOM II on an 040 @ 25mhz as I played it a lot back in the day with 16MB without too much trouble, HeXen was a little jumpy here and there but was still playable.

Back
Top Bottom