Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    34 (100%)

Default For those on Sky Broadband - router password recovery

After spending about 5 hours today sorting software issues out on an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop, that kept throwing up BSODs 10-20 minutes after boot-up on Vista Home Basic setup (shudder), the only thing I hadn't fixed was the wireless internet, which was 'sort-of' working earlier in the day, as it allowed me to install IE8 and some other updates in between BSODs, then once the updates and a copy of Eset NOD Antivirus 4 had been installed the laptop wouldn't connect. I had finally cured the BSODs which were Norton related (surprise ) and there were no obvious hardware faults showing up, so it had to be the router.

The lady who owned the laptop showed me a card and sticker which was reported to have the router access password - no worries, or so I thought... it just refused to connect. The ADSL router was a Sky badged Netgear, so I typed in 192.168.2.1 - the default router login for most Netgear routers - zilch. I even tried permutations of most router login IPs I know and it wasn't having any of it. I even tried resetting the router to factory default - nope, not having that, either...

Eventually I figured out that the laptop had downloaded the updates via another local insecure wireless network!

Having come away determined to get this sorted, I found out a shocking fact; Sky lock you out of the router, so you can't log into the home page to change the wireless password or any other settings!!

After much consulting of the Google oracle, I came across a site that allows you to enter the MAC address and serial number of the Sky router and it coughs out the wireless password. Somebody has sussed out the algorithm of Sky's router password encryption.

Link:- https://www.cm9.net/skypass

The wireless password had been changed from that shown on the card!! I thought that those on Sky Broadband should be aware of this, as a hard drive or an OS crash could you leave up that familiar creek 'sans paddle', so to speak. I would recommend that those with a Sky router find out what the router wireless password is just in case and keep it in a safe place. Note that you do need the MAC and serial number, so it can't be used to directly hack into a wireless network.

This sad episode only underlines my deep hatred of the following items.

1. Vista, with it's UAC that needed disabling before the laptop would do anything;
    2. Norton 360, which infiltrates just about everywhere on a Vista install and took 3/4 of an hour to finally rip from the registry;
    3. Acer laptops that create data partitions that even the user isn't made aware of.
    4. iTunes, that installed 10Gb of music onto a 30Gb partition and slowed everything to a crawl. I had to move the 10Gb to the spare partition as the laptop only had 400Mb of free space when I got to it!!

The last bit I suppose should have gone into AmiRant but sack it, it's staying here now.
    The future's so Retr0bright, I gotta wear shades.....

As rkauer said:-
    "Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Ioannina
    Feedback
    96 (100%)

Default Re: For those on Sky Broadband - router password recovery

I have no experience with those UK SKY routers, (locking them by the isp is way too lame btw)

BUT

I confirm 10000% that:
    a. everything Norton nowdays is TOTAL crap
    b. iTunes for windows (at least) is norton-quality crap

good to see all working again Merlin, this could be one of those situations that you spent many hours over stupid software probs!
    Aacheron and slk486 are my heroes
    A1200D mfilos ed. : ACA 1231/42 , Indivision MK2 , IDEfix Express , Subway , PicoPSU 120w custom 3.9 ROM/OS

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge Mega AmiMod
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    34 (100%)

Thanks Leo; it was definitely a coffee and paracetamol moment!!

I only found out later that Sky send the routers out with a pre-set password and customise them so that only they can access them remotely; you can't get in via an IP address home page. How crap is that?
    (/Merlin nudges Kinnie, whom I know uses Sky)

I wasn't going to let this bloody laptop defeat me; I have a reputation to maintain, dontcha know... There have been very few PC problems that have beaten me over the years and every one of those was a hardware fault, such as hard drive failure - I wasn't about to allow this laptop to be my first OS repair failure.

Vista is truly a crap OS, especially with UAC turned on, as you can't do sh*t without it stopping to ask your permission. That, along with BSODs kicking in every ten minutes after boot-up, made everything a real pain.

I left the laptop last night running pretty snappily, the only thing left to do is to correct the wireless password and all should be up and running.

"Retro computers seems like an orgasm: it is always better to have a real one than fake it".

Country
    U.K.
    Region:
    Cornwall
    Feedback
    48 (100%)

In case you forget the number over da fone m8y, my Sky Netgear Router = 192.168.0.1 - U/N = admin - P/W = sky

Kin

Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    34 (100%)

Cheers Kinnie, I'll give that a spin later today.

vB Guru AmiDev
    Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Chichester / West Sussex
    Feedback
    47 (100%)

I was about to say that the 2 Netgear routers we have here both use 192.168.0.1 as well, and this is the default IP for all Netgear ones. With default details being U:Admin P:Password. So if Kin's work they only change the password.

This is one reason I never touch ISPs that provide their own routers. They are always normally locked or special restricted versions that only work on their own networks. I want to be in control of my own router, not the ISP.

And I totally agree with Norton's and iTune's. Both complete crap that riddle the OS with junk that is hard to remove and just slows the system down. Anyone using an iPod or other MP3 player should look at Media Monkey. Very nice MP3 library software which directly supports iPod and other players and doesn't require any connection to the spyware giants Apple!

As for Acer laptops. Most of the big name laptops makers do similar things. I tend to format the HDD when i get a new laptop and reinstall, so that none of the crap they normally load onto the systems is filling up the drive.

Finally UAC on Vista is indeed very annoying, and also part of Windows 7. Disabling it is always one of the first things I do. Then Vista is pretty nice to use.

These problems you've had is just another reason I wouldn't touch Sky Broadband. I would rather pay more for my ISP and know it is just an ISP provider that cares about its customers because that is their only market. Not a broadband provider bolted only a larger company who's main concern is something else, such as broadcast in Sky's case.
    classicamiga.com - your guide to everything Amiga. The Classic Retro Network
    =====================================
    C= Amiga: A4000D/40, | A1200 Blizzard 1230MKIV FPU 64MB 40GB HDD | A500 1.2 | A500 1.3 | A500 Plus 2MB | A600 | CD32
    Atari:
    520 STFM | 4160 STE | 2600 || Nintendo: Wii | GCN | N64 x3 + Z64 | SNES | GB | GBA | NDS-XL
    Sega
    : Dreamcast || Microsoft: Xbox x2 | Xbox 360 Slim 250GB || Sony: PSX | PS2 | PS2slim | PS3 slim | PSP x2 | Xperia Play

PC:
    i7 2600K 4GHz, 32GB Ram, 6950 2GB | i3 540, 8GB | + many other PCs and Laptops

Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    34 (100%)

As I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that the one I saw yesterday was locked, as I tried all permutations of router login Ips that I could think of.

Country
    U.K.
    Region:
    Cornwall
    Feedback
    48 (100%)

So did you get in there in the end?

Kin

Administrator
    Country
    UK
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    34 (100%)

I brought the router home last night and logged into it first attempt. The only thing it can be now is either the ethernet or wireless adapter drivers. Since the machine was suspected of having a trojan on it, I ran Combofix followed by a Vista CD with the command sfc / scannow, so that any damaged files would be repaired. The BSODs are triggered by a file called Netio.sys, so my suspicion is that the ethernet driver or a support file is screwed.

I've set the router for 64-bit WEP with a known password, so I know that I should be able to connect to it. I am going to install Vista SP1 along with the updated drivers for the ethernet and wireless from Acer for SP1. Hopefully this will replace any damaged files and get networking up and running properly again. Once I have confirmed internet communications are AOK with WEP, I can try and get back into the router via the laptop and WPA-PSK going again, as it was originally.

Now that I've eliminated the router, it can only be software drivers. Every 'No' is one step closer to a 'Yes'.....

Country
    U.K.
    Region:
    Cornwall
    Feedback
    48 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin
    <snip> Every 'No' is one step closer to a 'Yes'.....
    /....smiley mode on....

That's the Micro$haft experience all over. - Glad you're nearer than where you were earlier though.

Try re-setting TCP/IP using the netsh command. "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt"

There's a handy Link here on the Microsoft support site. At least try this before messing the drivers about. When it comes to having to mess with the drivers, be sure you uninstall them before re-installing them & it's always a good idea to physically pull them after uninstalling & shutting down. Some cards such as Belkin have to have the software installed first anyways, otherwise they never work??

Good luck m8y.

Kin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast