Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
Hi all,

I thought I'd post some of the pictures I took at Retro Reunited today. Unfortunately, for personal reasons I can't get to day 2, however I met the AmiBay lads today and they are a great bunch. We got the chance to talk about lots of hackery with the Acorn community, mess about on loads of retro machines and generally get loads of rose-tinted retroness.
[attachment=5:3j69n3n6]IMAG0091.JPG[/attachment:3j69n3n6]
Left to right:- WoodyCool, Zetr0, Imnogeek and r0jaws.
[attachment=4:3j69n3n6]IMAG0099.JPG[/attachment:3j69n3n6]
Gazcbm, Zetr0 and Imnogeek discuss hackery with the Acorn guys.
[attachment=3:3j69n3n6]IMAG0101.JPG[/attachment:3j69n3n6]
A goodly selection of the retro machines on display.
[attachment=2:3j69n3n6]IMAG0094.JPG[/attachment:3j69n3n6]
Acorn hackery.
[attachment=1:3j69n3n6]IMAG0096.JPG[/attachment:3j69n3n6]
A Spartan 3, FGPA-based BBC machine - cool!
[attachment=0:3j69n3n6]IMAG0092.JPG[/attachment:3j69n3n6]
A shot of the Acorn / BBC displays - can you spot the monitor needing a Retr0bright treatment?

My camera isn't that great and I'm sure that Zetr0 will be posting lots more piccies once he returns from RR.

Enjoy.....

Attachments

• IMAG0091.JPG
    IMAG0091.JPG
    616.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0099.JPG
    IMAG0099.JPG
    692.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0101.JPG
    IMAG0101.JPG
    831.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0094.JPG
    IMAG0094.JPG
    595.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0096.JPG
    IMAG0096.JPG
    712.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG0092.JPG
    IMAG0092.JPG
    883.3 KB · Views: 1
Re: Retro Reunited - Day 1 Pictures

cool, thanks for the pictures Merlin.

Glad you had a good time, wish i could have been there.

cheers, JuvUK

Ah, I see there was a lot of hugs hugs and kiss kiss going on ;) (y)
You... lucky... nerds!
More pics please! :bowdown:

OK, let's see what else I have....
[attachment=4:s83dbst6]IMAG0100.JPG[/attachment:s83dbst6]
The Acorn hackery that Z was discussing in the other picture
[attachment=3:s83dbst6]IMAG0089.JPG[/attachment:s83dbst6]
A general shot of the main hall
[attachment=2:s83dbst6]IMAG0090.JPG[/attachment:s83dbst6]
Another shot of the main hall; at the back there was a stage where you could play Beatles Guitar Hero.
[attachment=1:s83dbst6]IMAG0102.JPG[/attachment:s83dbst6]
A Q&A session with some of the BBC games programmers.
[attachment=0:s83dbst6]IMAG0093.JPG[/attachment:s83dbst6]
Some BBC gaming going on between the main hall and Acorn World.

I'll let the others post some pictures now...

Attachments

• IMAG0100.JPG
    IMAG0100.JPG
    712.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0089.JPG
    IMAG0089.JPG
    801.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0090.JPG
    IMAG0090.JPG
    678.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0102.JPG
    IMAG0102.JPG
    741.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0093.JPG
    IMAG0093.JPG
    706.7 KB · Views: 0

Some great pictures. Thanks for sharing them.

I hope one of these days I will eventually be able to attend one of these myself. Sadly there is so much else going on at the moment to even consider it. :(

No retrobrite and amibay promotional stand guys? Did anyone comment on the t-shirts? I hope they gave some more interest in the site and will generate more member registrations.

It would be great for us all to combine forces in the future and to be able to take a combined stand to these shows for us to advertise a combination of all of our sites and achievements, classicamiga, amibay and to show off the retrobrite process with some before and after 1/2 and 1/2 machines on display to show exactly how good it is, plus some tutorials, or even a live demo showing the process working so people there could see it happening throughout the day.

@ Merlin

I think Shoons wanted some more man-hug pics m8y. - r0jaws does not look too keen to join in though. :laugh:

Hope you all had a great time. As a matter of interest, did you manage to find a traditional Huntsman's run bar to seavour some Real Tetleys?
You can take the froth off it with a knife. :drool:

Kin

I don't want to steal the others' thunder about the event.

OK, we talked about Retr0bright quite a lot, especially with the Acorn and Atari guys. There were loads of people at the event that actually tried it and were really impressed. We also talked to a lot of them about AmiBay and I expect an influx of new members following the event. I really wanted to take some Retr0bright gel with me and was hunting around on Friday evening, trying to find a chemist that still stocked Glycerine, as my local one has stopped selling it.

The AmiBay t-shirts did receive comments and as you will see when Zetr0 posts his pictures, my t-shirt wasn't exactly subtle.... :laugh:

The shot of the many retro machines on display was from The Centre for Computing History museum in Suffolk. The guy really wanted to talk to me about Retr0bright and I will arrange to send him some, if I can arrange a safe way to do so.

The male bonding-thing was most definitely a Zetr0 thing :laugh: . Woody was flapping big time at one stage, as his towered A1200 wouldn't recognise the RAM on the PPC card :shock: . Fortunately all it needed was the RAM to be re-seated.

I went rummaging in the boxes and scored an Amiga tank mouse for £1 - bargain!! I was tempted to buy a Dragon 32 for £5 as well, but as it was only the main unit without transformer etc. I passed on that.

I scored 41,000 on a Battle Zone arcade machine that was there; r0jaws saw me at work, demonstrating the old Jedi skillz, ramming tanks and stuff - I was on fire.....I also got to tinker with Elite on a BBC, whch is where I first saw the game. No analogue joystick though, and I suspect that the game was hacked, as the docking computers were on by default....hmmm... :blink:

Overall, I really enjoyed the day that I managed to get there and I hope that the others from the AmiBay Massive enjoyed Day 2 as well. I look forward to loads more pictures from the others.

Imnogeek suggested that we maybe look to put together an AmiBay event; it's something worth considering, given the interest that this event received.

count me in for an Amibay event! i am so there dude!

@ Harrison

If we do manage to arrange an AmiBay event. Rest assured that we will be offering a Retr0bright service, something like 'bring your case and we will treat it for you'. A fair few people that I spoke to still felt that the process was a bit too dangerous for them to try or, like gazcbm, they wanted someone to provide the service.

@ JuvUK

I make no promises about this; all I have said is that it is worth considering... when EAB tried to arrange an event, it all went a bit pear-shaped, and I would not wish to see a similar thing happen here.

The event was awesome.
It was great to finally meet Zetr0 (Keith), r0jaws (Phil) and Merlin (Dave) ..... and obviously imnogeek (Gary)

I managed to get quite a few photos and will post them on here when I get a mo.

I am so jealous!!! I'm also so happy that all of you have been having a great time at the event. Thanks for sharing pictures and your experiences! It's really too bad that I could not attend.

On the plus side, I'm sore, aching and covered in bruises after making 16 skydives from Friday through Sunday! What a great weekend! I'll be sure to post links to pictures and the videos once I get them online.

By the way, was the RR on the top floor of a building? The tilted walls make it seem like you were in a very large attic. :)

Ciao!

Heather

SkydivinGirl said:
I am so jealous!!! I'm also so happy that all of you have been having a great time at the event. Thanks for sharing pictures and your experiences! It's really too bad that I could not attend.
If you can get the time off work, and have the dosh, you should pop over to the UK for one of these events.
They really are something!

SkydivinGirl said:
On the plus side, I'm sore, aching and covered in bruises after making 16 skydives from Friday through Sunday! What a great weekend! I'll be sure to post links to pictures and the videos once I get them online.
WOW! Pictures please.

SkydivinGirl said:
By the way, was the RR on the top floor of a building? The tilted walls make it seem like you were in a very large attic. :)
It was on the first floor (not the ground floor) and we had to get equipment up a flight of stairs.
Not so bad for people with computers and games consoles, but it took 6 of us to get the arcade cabinets up the stairs .... damn they're heavy!

Indeed, good to meet you on Friday evening, gentlemen! Apologies for not getting back to you on Saturday, but the in-laws turned up...

@ Heather

SIXTEEN skydives? That must be one expensive hobby you have there, girl.... :wooha: :blink:

The AmiBay t-shirts did receive comments and as you will see when Zetr0 posts his pictures, my t-shirt wasn't exactly subtle....
I would like to make it clear now that I had no part in the making of Merlins T-shirt :wooha: :run:

Talking of tshirts, I had a couple of extras printed and stiggy2009 of RCM bought one and is going to join Amibay :thumbsup2: He is a great photographer and took many many pics over the weekend. I will post a link to them when he uploads them.

a few from me will follow soon.

Gary

imnogeek said:
I would like to make it clear now that I had no part in the making of Merlins T-shirt :wooha: :run:

LOL, you are completely exonerated from the making of my T-shirt, OK? For the members to fully appreciate my masterpiece 8) , they really need to see a photo of it.... :whistle:

Merlin said:
SIXTEEN skydives? That must be one expensive hobby you have there, girl.... :wooha: :blink:
LOL! Yeah, it would have been expensive if I actually had to pay for each jump. However, since I was shooting video and taking still pictures, the group that I was jumping with paid for all of my skydives. :D I took lots of still pictures that I hope to put online in the next day or two and a video that I need to edit. I'll post the video online to share as well.

woodycool said:
it took 6 of us to get the arcade cabinets up the stairs .... damn they're heavy!
I know exactly what you mean! I went through a phase of collecting arcade machines (I had 10 at one point) and all of them were on the second floor in my house. I sold all of them off eventually and built a MAME machine earlier this year. It is complete except I still need to put in a light for the Marquee. Fortunately, this machine is on the first floor. :)

@All

Yes, please share more pictures and I definitely want to see a pic of Merlin's shirt. :)

Ciao!

Heather

Damn, looks like I missed some fun times due to my forgetfulness!

There's always next year I suppose.

I do wonder if Zetr0 has yet to master the mobile phone, too ;)

Woody, Merlin: sorry I didn't get to meet you. Bloody families!

Imnogeek, R0jaws, Zetr0: great to meet you and share a beer (even if it was bloody no alcohol stuff). Next time we will be more organised, and we will go for a stonking curry and proper beer...

How's AmiWags coming along, or the other suggestions? :D

A few from me

Attachments

• IMG_0229 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_0229 [640x480].JPG
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0218 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_0218 [640x480].JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0205 [640x480].JPG