Review: Sony PSP 1003

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Hi all,

you know i couldn't decide which section this should go in! but as the Vita is out lets go with Retro:LOL:

well i recently bought a PSP on this here very site and i have now had some time to use it, and...........

i bloody well love it!!!

the PSP still looks pretty nifty IMPO, well made and feels very nice to use.

the controls are well laid out and it is kind of like using a large joypad:)

in stock form the PSP is very usable with a wide range of games and films (CEX sell UMDs for around £3 each :)). for a handheld device the graphics and sound are very good.

but when you mod the PSP is when it really comes to life, the emulation is great! i have the entire roms sets for the Atari 2600, the megadrive and the N64, the 1st 2 are amazing, easy to use and of course there is so much choice.
the N64 isn't as good, with some glitches and choppy sound on Mario Kart (but i haven't given up on the settings yet!)

the PSP will support a memory card upto 32gb, i use a micro sd card via an adaptor which works perfectly and costs a lot less than a memory duo card!!

Movie playback is excellent and looks to be about the same quality as a DVD.

Battery life seems to be about 4hrs of gaming, or about a movie and a half:LOL:

the screen is also very good, but rubbish in ourdoor daylight (you can buy a hood to help this, but this adds to the bulk of the device)
and the back cover for the UMD is a little flimsy

all in all i am very impressed, a very capable little portable with a lot of potential, big thumbs up!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tx1Ex1vnDA

cheers, Justin

Attachments

• PSP.jpg
    PSP.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi Justin, nice review of a decent little system.

Can i ask where you got the micro-sd adapter from buddy?

I've tried a couple of those photofast dual micro-sd adapters and none have worked with my psp so if you can recommend a decent one i'd appreciate it.

Just to wet everyone's appetite some more, about two years ago I put up movies or my PSP running various emulations on my YouTube Channel

SNES
MegaDrive & MegaCD
Capcom Play System 1
Capcom Play System 2
Neo Geo

The movie's were taken without sound (sorry about that) and some are poorly compressed - I really need to re-do them. Also the program I was running on the PSP was called RemoteJoy - and this has an overhead which slows down the emulation by about 15%

All those listed here are very smooth and fast to play on the PSP, I did have some problems with Mode7 games on the SNES, but 90% all worked very well... and I may of gotten sucked into Front Mission an aweful lot!

I have my first PSP 1003 model since its first days of release, and I have to admit it's a great portable console. Although I use it only in the toilet now (for a quick PES match), but that's another matter. :LOL:

@fogWraith, i've tried about 10 of those photofast adapters now and never got one to work on either the psp (3000) or my usb card reader, thats why i asked about the adapter the other guys were using earlier lol

@Phantom, i thought i was the only one who played games on the toilet :LOL:

nice review justin. just orderd from your link as only got a 4gb card in my 1003 which i have had from when they came out

Ouch that video is painful. I have gained a fair amount of speed in current (and proberly final) release.
If I have time, I may have ago at adding the updated FAMEC core (from uae4droid), its alot faster and more stable that original famec core.

As Im using my PSP Go less and less (my original release day PSP 1003 hasnt seen any action in 3 years), I find myself drawn to android, :).
Would like to play around with P-UAE on that. Will sort out PSPUAE release first though.

PSPUAE Videos
Delta, done alot of vids to show how good it can be when you tweak it for different games.

As for cards, I bought one of those duo pro readers that lets you put two microsd cards in it, I have 2x 16gb in it, which gives me 32gb. It works well.
The one fogwraith points to.

Back
Top Bottom