Retro Girl
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my A4000's HD floppy drive and would like to get another one as a backup. Please let me know if you have one. I really want it to match the color of the current one.

Thanks!

Heather

Re: WTB: A4000 HD Floppy Drive

Heather, it doesn't have to match. You can swap the front Bezel. :wink:

Which one is it you require? The Chunky FB-375A or the slim FZ-357A?

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! I forgot about swapping bezels. I also didn't know there were two versions of the drive. So long as the bezel will transfer to either version, I guess it doesn't matter which one I get. :)

Heather

You can not swap a slim drive bezel for a chunky one or vice versa.

So which type is it you need? FB or FZ?? - The Floppy Drive you have should be labelled & the plastic cover size on the front panel will also give you a clue.
The early A4KD's had the chunky FB-357A fitted & it is not possible to fit another floppy drive with an FB fitted. The small front spacer will not be big enough for a slim FZ.

If you have an FZ fitted, another FZ Floppy will fit above/below it. ;)

Hope that all makes sense, but please say which one you require. I have both. :D

The Chunky one (FB-357A) is split on the front Bezel but fully functional. Not a problem if you want to retain your colour match. Afaik, the FB can also be used in the A3KD by just popping the front bezel off. The A3KD's entire front panel then gives the naked device a cover.

Charlie

Attachments

• Chinon\'s.jpg
    Chinon\'s.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 0

Hey Charlie!

I'll have to check tonight when I get home. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Thank you!!!
:inlove:
Heather

Hey Charlie!

I finally took a moment and measured the floppy bezel. It is 2.5mm from top to bottom so I believe it is the slim version. I have a ZIP drive installed beneath the drive as well. Please PM me with cost and we can figure out the details.

Thank you again!!! :D

Heather

2.5mm from top to bottom. Heck girl, that's slimmer than slim & I don't know a floppy drive that slim to have ever existed.

Measuring the two drives I have here, the FB measure 31.5mm & the FZ measures 25mm. I'm guessing you meant to say 2.5cm. (10mm = 1cm) :wink:

Also, we really should clarify you have a genuine FZ357-A Chinon in your A4kD, otherwise I could be sending you one & you could not swap the bezels with an after market HD floppy, as the Bezel mounts would be different, making a colour (color) match impossible.

Just an effort to try & keep your best interests at heart. :inlove:

Kin

LOL! That's what I get for trying to remember the measurement for a day before posting. :) I'll crack open the case tonight to verify. I guess that my hair color is matching my Avatar's today. Thanks Charlie!

Heather

Well you guys on that side of the pond still use Imperial & not Metric, so I can make some allowance for that. (y) In the UK, I went through education that had to know both & as a Mechanical Engineer by trade, it can get confusing working a Metric Lathe one day & an Imperial Lathe the next. Even more confusing when you're on a Metric Lathe having to use Imperial Micrometers. :roll:
I guess it was just that education period of time & couldn't tell you how they do it these days. We still buy Imperial screws, nuts, bolts & washers along with Metric ones too so the education system here might still be banging both. :shrug:

Waiting to hear from you soon,

Charlie

Still being in secondary school, I know that whilst you are taught in mostly metric, most people still use imperial when they're not in class.

Please excuse the intrusion but would an A4000 HD internal floppy work in a 1200 thats been stuffed in a tower (and therefore has 3.5 bays free) without modification ?
Or would I need a catweasel to make it work ?

cheers

sorry for :hijacked:

Andrew

@asm1: an Amiga floppy is an Amiga floppy is an Amiga floppy.

Just make sure you set it to DF0: and use before the cable twist. Solved.

Kin Hell said:
Also, we really should clarify you have a genuine FZ357-A Chinon in your A4kD
After taking apart my A4000D and removing the CD-ROM (Who designed this case?!?! What a pain!), I can verify that I do indeed have a genuine FZ357A Chinon drive! :D

Thanks Charlie!

Heather

Okies Heather. I might not be able to post this till the next day we have a wet one here or the next time I'm off to the builders merchants for supplies. I'm very busy atm & on a quick lunch break right now. I can get it boxed for a weigh-in this evening & perhaps guess-tickulate the shipping costs. I'll try & get a PM to you this evening (UK time) with an update

Cheers for now,

Charlie

No problem Charlie! Please PM me total price with shipping and we'll get it done. I haven't been using the floppy drive a lot so I'm not in a hurry. Take your time.

Thanks!
:inlove:
Heather

Heather,

It's 9.15pm here & I haven't even eaten yet, let alone get in the bath. I promise to do this for you asap, but please bare, *cough* - bear... er.... *cough* - (I'm knackered) with me. :mrgreen:

I'll get back to you with a quote asap, I promise.
flowerz.gif

HugZ,

Charlie

Heather, you have a PM with all the details. :nod:

Kin

Ur havin' a giraffe. :laugh:

Kin

Between the cost of the disk drive plus shipping, I had to decline Kin's offer. :( Therefore, I'm still searching for one.

Thanks everyone,

Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom