insane in the main frame
AmiBayer
Country
Canada
Region
Edmonton, Alberta,
Hi all,
Nube set up question.
Just trying to help a friend set up WHDLoad and of course Kickstart issues. We pulled the kickstart folder off Amiga Forever CD, and changed the names etc, but no go.
Trying SKick346.Lha now,
any other suggestions?

Hi all,
Nube set up question.
Just trying to help a friend set up WHDLoad and of course Kickstart issues. We pulled the kickstart folder off Amiga Forever CD, and changed the names etc, but no go.
Trying SKick346.Lha now,
any other suggestions?

Hi mate :)

The KS ROMs included in Amiga Forever CD are encrypted and need the rom.key to work.

To use original KS extracted from chips under WHDLoad you need to use tools like grabkick or other tools from Aminet.

Don't forget to rename the ROM images, ie A500 ROM: KICK34005.A500

Take a look here: http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

Best wishes

Or, using the AF CD, run the emulation with those ROM images and grab they, one by one.

Just want to make sure.
I'm one of those guys who buys music, videos and software :LOL:
...my friends are thinking I'm retarded :double

Well,

Like you, I'm an AF owner and I think is legit for personal use. You cannot distribute in any form.

What you're legally allowed to do and what the licence-holder attempts to allow/prevent you from doing are often two different things.

Amiga Forever ROMs are provided encrypted, the rationale being that they're only for use with AF. It is of course possible to extract the unencrypted versions as described above. Whether or not it's legal, I have no idea.

Certainly it's more likely to be legal than downloading warezed images from the Internet, but as for the actual legality, it's hard to know. Given that you've purchased a legal licence and you're using them for personal use, it's hard to see anyone having an actual problem with it. But as to actual legality, it's a hard one to call.

ok has anyone anywhere been prosecuted over KS in last 10-20 years ?? kind of interesting to know if anyone has and who exactly they are who filed the case

Amiga Forever ROMs are provided encrypted, the rationale being that they're only for use with AF. It is of course possible to extract the unencrypted versions as described above. Whether or not it's legal, I have no idea.

I'm in the same Andy's situation, I have no idea. But as you're a legal AF owner, send your request directly to Cloanto. Their support team has worked great for me all times (y)

Also look here http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-145 specially......

The various ROM and operating system files which are included in Amiga Forever were originally licensed (in the Amiga Forever EULA) for specific use in the context of Amiga emulation. In a later review of the Amiga Forever agreements, it was confirmed that the Amiga ROM and OS files may be used for "providing support for developers and users of the Amiga OS and Amiga applications". Accordingly, the Amiga Forever EULA was clarified to also allow use of the software as a backup copy for the ROM and OS software originally provided on "Classic Amiga" computers (i.e. models from the original Amiga 1000 up to the Amiga 4000 series, which already came with a ROM and an OS disk set). As a standard PC would have no way of writing a floppy disk which an Amiga could use to boot, the creation of a bootable disk from the Amiga Forever disk images would itself require a working Amiga computer, or another way to write an Amiga disk.

:coffee:

ok has anyone anywhere been prosecuted over KS in last 10-20 years ?? kind of interesting to know if anyone has and who exactly they are who filed the case

Cloanto do sometimes enforce their licence rights by issuing takedown notices for warezed ROMs and images. Whilst I'm not aware of anyone ever being taken to court over the matter, it's still true that Cloanto paid for the rights to include them with Amiga Forever and take a dim view of people distributing them for free.

Also look here http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-145 specially......
The various ROM and operating system files which are included in Amiga Forever were originally licensed (in the Amiga Forever EULA) for specific use in the context of Amiga emulation. In a later review of the Amiga Forever agreements, it was confirmed that the Amiga ROM and OS files may be used for "providing support for developers and users of the Amiga OS and Amiga applications". Accordingly, the Amiga Forever EULA was clarified to also allow use of the software as a backup copy for the ROM and OS software originally provided on "Classic Amiga" computers (i.e. models from the original Amiga 1000 up to the Amiga 4000 series, which already came with a ROM and an OS disk set). As a standard PC would have no way of writing a floppy disk which an Amiga could use to boot, the creation of a bootable disk from the Amiga Forever disk images would itself require a working Amiga computer, or another way to write an Amiga disk.

Well, there's the clarification, they're licensed for you to use as backup copies for real Amiga hardware. Go forth and extract ROM images!

(y)

The only other way to have the images legally for use in WHDLoad is having one of each physical kickstart WHDLoad requires for the games you have.

I'm in this particular case, as I have at least one of each model at home (but the consoles).

Back
Top Bottom