Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A4000D PSU Replacement Questions

Country
    The Netherlands
    Region:
    Amsterdam
    Feedback
    95 (100%)

Im looking into such a mod as well. My soldering skills are nihil. So looking for a mod on the easy way.

ive got enough ATX PSU's lying on the shelf.. is it just a matter of picking the smallest one (to fit in original PSU housing),with the best 5v spec as stated earlyer on this thread?

Was searching and found the following item wich could help
    http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=615

Anyone got experience with this one?
    Last edited by Rishca; 22nd January 2011 at 17:13.
    A1200 / A2000 / A500

Retro Girl Staff Moderator SkydivinGirl's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Raleigh, NC
    Feedback
    185 (100%)

LOL! The switch you linked to is the one that I used in my ATX project. The only reason I had to do any soldering was because I was mounting everything inside an old A4000D PSU shell. I would definitely recommend that switch from AmigaKit.

Heather
    Promoted to Level II Solder Tech and Hackery Padawan

Country
    The Netherlands
    Region:
    Amsterdam
    Feedback
    95 (100%)

Good, ill just order this one and see how far i can get.
    A1200 / A2000 / A500

Incoming ASROC! VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    GREECE
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    123 (100%)

Let me see if i got this straight: i actually bought an ATX<->A4000 psu adapter from a member here, which has no switch on it. Just a direct ATX to mobo dongle. I understand there has to be a switch between two pins on the ATX socket to send the triggering signal so the psu can start; anyone doing this, have you actually installed a "reset-type" switch on the A4000's psu case instead of the original on/off switch? Does that engage nicely with the power shaft from the front fascia?
    Heather, i'd appreciate if you could tell us the length the switche's axle protrudes from the psu case, remember some time ago i was waiting for you to finish the mod so you could tell me?
    Sorry for having so many questions, but as soon as i get well this is one task i need to get finished...

Retro Girl Staff Moderator SkydivinGirl's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Region:
    Raleigh, NC
    Feedback
    185 (100%)

@salaxi54

I'm not exactly sure how the switch is wired into the ATX adapter but I know that the switch itself is just like the original A4000D switch: Pushing in the first time turns on the PSU and the switch stays pushed in; Pushing in the second time turns off the PSU and the switch pops back out. It's a perfect replacement for the original A4000D's power switch and the power rod that goes to the front of the computer seems to be at the same distance as the original PSU.

I'm not sure the exact length of the axle but I do have the A4000D apart right now and could get a measurement for you tonight (as long as I remember!). You can see my PSU Photo Booth thread for some images.

Take care,

Heather
    Promoted to Level II Solder Tech and Hackery Padawan

Incoming ASROC! VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    GREECE
    Region:
    Athens
    Feedback
    123 (100%)

Thanks Heather, that'd be awesome!

Country
    England
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (98%)

Im currently having my Amiga 4000 refurbished and my next step is the psu, it works perfectly fine but it has an overloud fan which spoils the enjoyment when the computer was switched on.

I opened the psu and noticed the fan cable was fitted direct to the pcb so theres no chance of me changing it. I was hoping it was 2 pin fan affair so it could be changed with ease but I was wrong!

So what are my options, i doubt ill be able to get a replacement psu as im guessing they will all suffer from this problem. Is there no company that has reproduced these, or alternative, psu's? or is there anybody out there that modified these psu's and sells them on the black market? Im fairly sure theres a market here for modified psu's as almost everyone ive seen complains about this problem!

Amiga fanboy VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Brazil
    Region:
    São Leopoldo, RS
    Feedback
    110 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama View Post
    Im currently having my Amiga 4000 refurbished and my next step is the psu, it works perfectly fine but it has an overloud fan which spoils the enjoyment when the computer was switched on.
    A simple fan replacement is an easy task. If you are not confident, ask a TV repairsman.

I opened the psu and noticed the fan cable was fitted direct to the pcb so theres no chance of me changing it. I was hoping it was 2 pin fan affair so it could be changed with ease but I was wrong!
    Again, two wire soldering is easy enough.

So what are my options, i doubt ill be able to get a replacement psu as I'm guessing they will all suffer from this problem. Is there no company that has reproduced these, or alternative, PSU's? or is there anybody out there that modified these PSU's and sells them on the black market? Im fairly sure there's a market here for modified PSU's as almost everyone I've seen complains about this problem!
    No black market, sorry.

You have to locate a mini (or micro) ATX power supply and replace the innards of the A4k PSU with it. Not exactly a trivial job, but pretty easy to do.
    David Bradley made Ctrl+Alt+Del, Gates turn it mandatory
    16 Amigas at home :D
    3x C= 64 :smile:
    1 VIC-20 :smile:
    8 PC (argh) :thumbsdown: at least one is an AROS/Amithlon unit

Country
    England
    Region:
    Manchester
    Feedback
    38 (98%)

Im pretty sure theres a couple of tv repair shops near me, i never thought of asking one of them, thanks for the tip

I know its a pretty easy task, but its only easy if you know what your doing! Knowing me ill either kill myself and kill my Amiga when I plug it back in, so its damage limitation really.

Amiga fanboy VIP
    Amibayer!
    Country
    Brazil
    Region:
    São Leopoldo, RS
    Feedback
    110 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama View Post
    Im pretty sure theres a couple of tv repair shops near me, i never thought of asking one of them, thanks for the tip

I know its a pretty easy task, but its only easy if you know what your doing! Knowing me ill either kill myself and kill my Amiga when I plug it back in, so its damage limitation really.
    Yeah, I know the feeling.
    David Bradley made Ctrl+Alt+Del, Gates turn it mandatory
    16 Amigas at home :D
    3x C= 64 :smile:
    1 VIC-20 :smile:
    8 PC (argh) :thumbsdown: at least one is an AROS/Amithlon unit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast