HELP: KCS Power PC Board for a500

djos

Country
Australia
Region
Melbourne
Hi all, just got KCS Power PC Board (XT PC Board, rev 4.2) for my 2nd a500 but cant get it to work properly (or my a500 for that matter).

More info:
http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardware.cgi?HARDID=333
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/powerpc

When I plug it in to my a500 trapdoor slot my Amiga will boot up WB1.3 but the mouse goes nuts and just jumps around in a very small area. My a500 is running in the standard config of 512k chip and trapdoor set as slow ram. The Amiga is running a Rev6 Mobo and works perfectly with it's normal 512k trapdoor board in place.

I've read the manual but it's not very helpful and doesn't even explain what the "123" jumper is for!

kcspower500_2.jpg

can anyone familiar with these PC boards please assist?

I've had three of these (4.2) so far and can't say I ever noticed anything peculiar. They're manufactured to a very high standard too, I might add.
If you boot with the mouse unplugged, can you control the pointer with Amiga + Arrow keys, or you get the same effect?
Replace the battery too - it's evident it's the stock original battery and it's certainly dead by now (the board needs it to store its config settings too, not just for the RTC). But I doubt a dead battery would cause this symptom.
The jumper doesn't seem to do anything user-meaningful - could be for diagnostic purposes or even a LED or beep-speaker header for all I know. I'd also like some info on this!

Thanks, I'll try that.

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

Well I'm an idiot, I don't think I seated the trapdoor card in properly and now it works fine! :D

Your right about the battery tho, it's dead as!

Actaully I think the trapdoor connector on the Power PC board was the issue, I had to clean them several times with Isopropyl before the board became stable - I also cut off the battery as it was completely dead. I might put a new one on in a proper coin holder later.

So once I got it working properly it works great, I found the v4.5 disk which made a big difference as 3.5 would only work in CGA mode. Anyhoo I ran a few tests and fired up SQ2 for fun:

2012-12-10%2009.37.44.jpg

CheckIt 2.0:
2012-12-10%2009.36.07.jpg

2012-12-10%2009.49.07.jpg

2012-12-10%2009.39.37.jpg

Space Quest ][:
2012-12-10%2011.44.51.jpg

Very nice, good to see one working. I am trying to find the A500+ version.

Awesome!
I like to run PC software on Amiga :)
Which hard drive controller are you using with the KCS?

Awesome!
I like to run PC software on Amiga :)
Which hard drive controller are you using with the KCS?
Im not running one yet, i'm waiting for kipper to start making the a500 Fast-Ram plus CF-IDE boards as the v4.5 KCS software supports Gayle IDE.

I have one of these boards. It has the battery so i guess its for the A500 and not compatible with the 500 Plus.

Never really played around with it but i've dug it out of my closet and downloaded and wrote to disk the software version 4.5.

Tomorrow i'll install it in my A500 and try it out properly.

Quick question, would it work faster than PC-Task on an A1200 with Blizzy 1230 50mhz and 64megs would ? Considering that this is actual hardware as opposed to soft emulation.

Attachments

• ppc.jpg
    ppc.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Speed wise they benchmark quite close to a PC-AT @ 6mhz and of course they use the Amiga HW to make a CGA-EGA SoundBlaster / Adlib / Tandy-PCjr equipped PC.

I was able to play the Space Quest games quite easily on the unit I used to have.

Last edited:
Sad but true..

I got mine booting DOS 622 And Windows 3.0.......But boy the VGA emulation is sloooooow :LOL:

DOTT ? You can run Crysis 2 on it :p

Well I tested mine and it seems to work. The only bugger is getting an MSDOS boot disk. My PC has no disk drive and my USB disk drive doesn't support 720K disks.

I tried formatting a 720K disk as system disk using an old laptop running Windows 98 and it said it formatted ok but when i put the disk in the Amiga to boot dos with it just got stuck on that screen with the blue background which says the memory/drives etc..

HELP: KCS Power PC Board for a500

Formatting floppies to 720kb is easy, put your 720K floppy disk into the floppy drive and type "format a: /t:80 /n:9" from the command line (cmd).

This even works on Windows 7

Last edited:
Recently, I have bought one with the ZII adapter....

I'm planning to install it on my A2000 with GForce 040 Combo but I'm not sure if I can use the SCSI HDD to install MSDOS and run apps/games directly from the HDD.

Last edited:
Recently, I have bought one with the ZII adapter....

I'm planning to install it on my A2000 with GForce 040 Combo but I'm not sure if I can use the SCSI HDD to install MSDOS and run apps/games directly from the HDD.

Nice. Apparently the ZII adapters for these are pretty rare.

The latest software, 4.5 something will probably support the Gforce Combo as it even supports A600 IDE etc.

Maybe a stupid question. How to make use of the RTC on the amiga?
A have this extension board as well, replaced de battery, but OS3.1 can't find the RTC.

Back
Top Bottom