Upgrading your Spectrum +2AB (BLACK) & +3 with IDE Mass Storage

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello my fellow AmiBayer's

I don't often get to do a Show and Tell as I would like but today is different since I am suffering from insomnia I might as well make it work in my favour!

So would you like to know how to add IDE mass storage on you Spectrum +2AB or +3 ?

Then let us begin -

Last edited:
Spectrum +2AB Dissassembly

Spectrum +2AB Dissassembly

picture.php

Theres +2AB.... awaiting with excitement

picture.php

Locating the Screw Holes

picture.php

Gently does it, or you could break the plastic screw holders

picture.php

Disconnect the Cassette Header

picture.php

Disconnect the Keyboard Ribbons

picture.php

Very carefully - dont be to sudden with them

picture.php

And now we can begin....

(White Lab coats are optional at this stage....)

Removing the Motherboard and IC's

Removing the Motherboard and IC's

picture.php

Theres 5 screws and there not that tight

picture.php

Gently does it and there wont be any problems

picture.php

And there she is.... cute and pretty

picture.php

Removing the ROM's

picture.php

Only experienced and danger defying Hackers use screwdrivers to levy IC's from their sockets - (BE WARNED!)

picture.php

A world in a Chip.... a Zilog Z80 chip.... one of the most ubiquitous chips in the known universe!

Its in everything that an Arm or a Motorola isnt.... so check your underwear!

picture.php

Woah... thats some Dirty Interfaces.... we better get this filth clean!

Last edited:
Contact Cleaning

Contact Cleaning

picture.php

Always read the label....

Then check with Google any words with more than two syllables (best check that first) and any words without vowels

picture.php

A Big juicy bottle of isopropyl alcohol -

would of preferred a good triple distilled Vodka, alas this will have to do.... just gotta fight the Wino's off first!

picture.php

Clever me decided to put some 99.99% IPA into a small spray bottle....

I have clever moments.... just don't tell!!!

picture.php

Theres no Escape from the IPA Spray bottle... all will be covered..... fingers, hands and clothing included!

picture.php

Behold!!

The Cue Tip of extra Cleanlyness +12

picture.php

Whoa..... I am sure the great outdoors has less dirt than that!

I best watch out for falling fossils!

picture.php

An important area, here is where we will be adding a couple of power rails =D

picture.php

The shiney shiney shine of IPA SHINEY!

picture.php

Yes.... soon the cue tip will ensure proper connection master......

picture.php

Spray away those years with the Spray Away IPA Way!

picture.php

Not even these 4 power terminals are safe from the Cleaning cue-tip of Doom!

Last edited:
Adding Power Cable (Preperation)

Adding Power Cable (Preperation)

picture.php

The original Flux capacitor!

(my flux droper bottle)

picture.php

Here I add some flux liquid to the power terminals - I find the underside of the board easier to start from.

I always recommend to use a good NO CLEAN and NON CORROSIVE flux....

If you wonder why I capitalize these words... I suggest imagining the consequence of putting your PCB / Motherboard in industrial strength super concentrated Acid.... Or any Handy nearby A500+ that still has its battery =)

picture.php

This is the heating part of the heat and suck protocol!

picture.php

And Pump.... suck those terminals right up

picture.php

An even closer shot of the power terminals..... see I spoil you lot.....

picture.php

Excelent I can see through to the other side....

picture.php

En' Voila

Holy terminals of much need power rails note the +12v (top) and +5v (bottom) silk masking

picture.php

Ahhh the classic 4 pin Floppy Power Molex..... How I love thee!

So much so that I snipped and tinned the leads =)

picture.php

Lets get the colour code right.... red = +5v, yellow = +12v and black = Ground

picture.php

And this is how you fit the new power rail

(Power soldering .... all four at the same time gets you bonus points and a new trophy unlock!)

picture.php

Yes... the most handiest tool in the tool box....

Nail clippers.... they take a smidge of practice.... but once you have the nack..... you can use these for almost anything!

picture.php

And There you have it.... a new power rail... waiting to be used.....

Please note that on the +2AB theres not much +12v juice... so ensure the device you plumb up to it doesn't use it ( or less than 0.3amps )

And since I am on my soap box, remember to keep kids inside..... and playing video games.... its the only way they will learn!

picture.php

The magic Posi-driver (aka Philips) as it majestically screws the motherboard once again back into the tray.

The hard part is over!

Installing the Adapter on the +3 Supplemental

My thanks to fitzsteve for poping over and helping me out with the camera work and providing his +3 for the photoshoot!

After dismantling the Spectrum +3 and removing the motherboard - the first thing to do is add a POWER RAIL for the IDE Device.

As you can see, unlike the +2AB we have to solder the wires underneath the motherboard as the power header has been populated for use with the 3" Floppy Disk Drive.

So here were are,
  • +12v is at the top (yellow)
  • two grounds in the middle (black)
  • +5v is at the bottom (red).
A point to note is that unlike the Spectrum +2A/B the +3 has a solid power supply on the +12v (about 1amp to play with) so one can use common 3.5" IDE hard disks if they so wished! (please note you are limited to 128GB due to CHS limitations - use this space wisely ;))

Installing the motherboard into the bottom chassis, we gently route the power rail Molex wire around the chassis screw mount

A close up reveals the position of the Power Molex wires, although with a little squeeze you could fit all four in the bottom or top left corner.

After mounting the Z80 8bit UIDE adapter to the motherboard, install the IDE cable - an optional mounting for the IDE to CF adapter is on the FDD mounting chassis.

After using a bit of insulating tape on the FDD mounting chassis (to avoid shorts / grounding), mount the IDE - CF adaptor to the FDD Mountin Chassis - as you can see single CF to IDE adapters will fit perfectly!

Sadly dual adaptors will not. - well not without a little more work.

Here is the overview of the of the Z80 8bit UIDE adaptor connected to the IDE to CF Adaptor.... looks great!!

To ensure OCD monkey satisfaction (and for tidiness) - its time to cable-tidy the IDE cable with a cable tie!

After preparing the Compact Flash Card - it was installed it and ready for action...

As you can see it is almost as if the Spectrum +3 was designed .... nay destined for this!

Last edited:
IDE Adapter Bundle

IDE Adapter Bundle

picture.php

Ahh a box of golden delight!

picture.php

We have a generic CF to 40 pin IDE adapter snuggled up to a Sandisk 256MB CF Card that is getting a cuddle from 15CM's of delicious golden IDE cable that is be wooed by a smart looking Z80 to IDE adapter that also chatting up a couple of +3e ROM chips!

picture.php

The CPU is installed into the IDE Adapter (pay close attention to the orientation as well how clean my fingers are!)

picture.php

Ahhh the lovely sandwich of mass storage and spectrum....

picture.php

Ensure that none of those pesky ceramic caps get in the way of a good board mating with the Adapter - again note the direction as well ho clean my thumb nail is!)

picture.php

Dadaaaaa!!!!

Looks great.... you have done a good job so far!

picture.php

With a bit of sneakyness you can pull the power rail underneath the IDE adapter and using a ceramic capacitor lock it into place.

Like a BOSS!

Last edited:
IDE Cable & Device Connect

IDE Cable & Device Connect

picture.php

Ahhh a golden beauty of an IDE cable.... its Halogen Free btw... I spare no expense!

(I should tell you now there is a difference in each end of the connector)

picture.php

Now IDC is very stiff stuff... as Black adder would say its made with stiffest stuff that McStiffy of Stiffwood could find on his stiffest shelf of stiffest things!

So to make it more manoeuvrable we need to pleat the wire... to do this we simply put a nick into the plastic after every forth wire

picture.php

Continue on with the pleat by gently pushing the small nick that separates like so.....

now do this..... another 9 times!!!

picture.php

And here is one I pleated earlier!

we get to braid it next or dreadlocks which ever!

picture.php

Its like Christmas!!!

picture.php

Plugged in the IDE cable - notice the IDE connector has an extra roll - this is to denote the Device Side of the IDE cable.

As you can also see I plugged in a very handsome SanDisk 256MB CF Card!

picture.php

And here is the HOST end of the IDE cable... see the difference?

Next time I will use different colours!

Last edited:
+3e ROM & Host Connect

+3e ROM & Host Connect

picture.php

Ahhh the magic that makes the... err... magic happen!

Its the +3e ROM's \o/\O/\o/ YAY \o/\O/\o/

picture.php

Here is how and where fit ROM (B) - all nice and cosy next to the dapper looking IDE adapter ;)

picture.php

And here is where you install ROM (A) - right next to ROM (B) in fact....

picture.php

Connecting the IDE to the HOST

picture.php

Ahhh gently (but firmly) does it! Note the orientation of pin 1 (Red Strip Wire)

picture.php

Add the Power to the CF Adapter

picture.php

Gently (but firmly) Bend the IDE wire into the right position... see how it curls.... beautiful isn't it?

Last edited:
Fixing IDE Device & Reassemble

Fixing IDE Device & Reassemble

The easiest way to ensure the Device stays in place (without damaging your precious Sinclair joy is to use Hot-Glue...

Since I have a hot-air gun, I cut pieces and place them where I want them (saves all that messy dripping mess) - you can get a hobbyist hot-air gun that would do the job perfectly for very little cost.

picture.php

measuring out the size needed for the hot-glue pieces.

picture.php

Angry looking hot-glue pieces... or slightly confused?

picture.php

Just melting the larger piece of hot-glue to affix it to the adapter.

picture.php

Here I am fixing the larger hot-glue piece at the front of the adapter

picture.php

Gently melting hot-glue piece for the other corner

picture.php

Make sure you get the two corners and get heat to the front as well, spread the heat around so that it evenly melts.

picture.php

Hot glue can take a while to set..... but once it does!!!

picture.php

Yep... a wholesome image!

picture.php

Isnt it pretty worth another shot if you ask me!

picture.php

And another glorious shot of the adapter and device fitted!

Reassemble

picture.php

Gently but firmly insert the keyboard tail - I found pinching pressure was enough.

picture.php

Dont forget to hook-up the cassette tape header..

.... dont you think that little CF card looks right at home there.... One could easily bring it forward and make a CF-Card access port at the font of the case... for easy access.

Last edited:
Conclusion

Conclusion

picture.php

Here she is booted up with a 64MB CF card - quick test before screwing her back together.

picture.php

A splash screen before the Game Launcher loads -

Now If you haven't been to on of these guys events.... then you REALLY ought to try!

picture.php

Ahh the +3e Game Launcher....

I wrote that =D

picture.php

Ahhhh Jetpac on the +2AB.... oh yeah!

Here it is running (New YouTube Demo - Featuring the +3e Launcher)
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6pYJCwuuUA&feature=youtu.be[/m]

Next How-To..... Getting Games and Data onto the IDE Device!

Last edited:
Great instructions, Keith! (y)

Thanks for sharing!

It's threads like this that I wished we had some sort of voting system for each post. Superb work Z.

Think I'll be doing this mod to my +3 in the not too distant future!

I've got one of Keith's adapters on my +3 and I can wholeheartedly recommend it. (y)

What a beautiful thing, it some ways it is a shame the keyboard and case hides all that lovely work.

I picked up my IDE storage device from the great dark Lord of Hackery, Zetro. I highly recommend it to people here - it is a truly magnificent way of playing Speccy stuff!

The menu system is excellent, I look forward to the next chapter on adding new files to it. (y)

agreed Lord Zetr0 knows everything..... do tell :)

how do we get the menu on zeets and some .sna or tap files ?

waits with excitement....

Awesome stuff, just what I've been waiting for :cool:

I still have my +3 upgrade to do! Any chance of a guide for the software too? :whistle:

@Zetr0

Hi my friend :)

The +3e game launcher is freeware or shareware? Where I can get/buy it?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom