mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYtqZ2WFcIM

TANX

was a PD game made in 1991 by Gaz Roberts and it was released on a cover disk of erm....i forget Amiga Format probably (not sure). I got this in 1991 and played against my brothers then and we played it this summer when i was cleaning up an A500 :)

Anyway TANX is a great game for 2 players , no computer option here. You command a small tank on a random landscape and the object is to kill the other player.

and a cracking sound sample from A Bridge too far (film 1977)

BUT

its not a case of the quickest shot, oh no... we have lots of variables such as.

Random landscape - the computer may but a mountain in front of your tank!
wind - light zephyr to gale force
gravity - Isaac newtons best friend
fans and puller - fans to change the local wind direction.

but you can of course move the tank too...but only on the flat! Use the arrow keys as i recall.

hey its a British Leyland tank ok!

I really recommend this game , yes its a quick and short game but it has great sound effects , clever scrolling and is great fun over a beer with a pal.

its PD too , so i think i can link an ADF ?

http://www.amigapd.com Amiga PD programs list. Click on Downloads and then 'T'

Its a OCS/ECS A500/600 game and as i recall it works just fine on the AGA machines too.
Its a floppy image as it was on a cover disk...

have fun,
mike

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.23.47.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.23.47.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.23.57.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.23.57.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.24.15.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.24.15.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.24.26.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-19 at 17.24.26.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Oh, I used to play this game with my mate "whiskas" when I was young. Thanks for the nostalgia trip! Good pick in the PD retro chest!

PD games are allowed, so you can put a link.

I enjoyed Tanx, too. There is an AGA version, IIRC. Was a multi-tank controller against a second player or CPU (I might be wrong and it is a totally different game).

me and my brother played this to death when we were younger, one of the best pd games ever in my opinion :)

Always played this with friends on a Friday after school, great game :)

Played this ALOT back in the day with my lil brother. Great little game.

Ahh, I remember this, was rather addictive, came with Amiga Action I think, as that was the magazine I got every month.

Great game as others have said.

Remember that as well, great and addictive game with two players. Played it a lot with my friend back then too. But it's not only Tanx. There're so many great shareware/licenceware/PD games for Amiga, which they have nothing to envy from commercial games.

Yeah, I remember Scorched Earth on the PC. My impression at the time, was that this was the original and that the others were follow ups to ride the wave. But it's maybe just because I saw scorched earth first. Does anyone know which game came first? Regardless of platform?

Just played TANX for the first time - I do like it actually - great game.
Now, how to install to hard drive rather than the floppy its on. Perhaps I need to investigate using WHDLOAD to create such a setup - any suggestions (is it easy to create a WHDLOAD package for a relatively simple game like this?)

Cheers

Just played TANX for the first time - I do like it actually - great game.
Now, how to install to hard drive rather than the floppy its on. Perhaps I need to investigate using WHDLOAD to create such a setup - any suggestions (is it easy to create a WHDLOAD package for a relatively simple game like this?)

Cheers

drag the whole lot to a folder on your hard drive, it isn't a NDOS disk is it?

I did that but it says it can't load the title screen as it must be in the same directory. But I copied everything over....

Sent from my HTC One X.

Thanks guys - am off to do some more reading about assigns, but may come back with more questions....

Back
Top Bottom