Review: Defender of the crown 2 CD32

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Defender of the crown CD32 review.

It is the year of our lord 1172 and prince John has stolen the crown of England from King Richard who is fighting the holy crusades!

The rotter!

The player assumes the role of a Saxon (Wilfred of Ivanhoe, Cedric of Rotherwood, Geoffrey Longsword or Wolfric the Wild) and tries to fight off the Norman hordes and wrestle for control of England. Eventually, the player must fight for control of all territories, and potentially those controlled by other Saxons, if they have become antagonistic. The player must amass armies and fight for control of opponents' castles. The player may engage enemy armies in battle, loot or lay siege to opposing castles. Territories can also be won in the periodic jousting contests. From time to time the player may attempt to rescue a damsel in distress and can appeal for help from the legendary bandit Robin Hood.

The game's strategy boils down to a war of attrition as the player tries to amass larger armies than his opponents and manages to attack their territories at the right time.

Where the Amiga A1000 / A500 version was released on floppy disk and was sadly lacking in many features due to the rush to release the game, the CDTV / CD32 version put this right and include many aspects that are missing in the floppy version. The biggest addition is of course a full music score and a voice. Now the voice of the CDTV version (defender of the crown) is for some bizarre reason Australian ?? However on the Cd release of defender of the crown2 the voice is unmistakably English.

For the Amiga fan and especially a Defender of the crown fan. DFOTC 1 & 2 are a must have and the CD32 plays defender of the crown2 perfectly.

additional features

redrawn graphics
Animations
extra scenes
full music score
full voice into and throughout the game.
fast loading
extra missions / goals to achieve.

in conclusion - bliss for the Amiga fan.

10/10

Sadly defender of the crown2 was released just after Commodore went bust, Jim saches sent two years programming and adding music to this, to make it in his view one of the most complete cd32 games ever made and certainly the best Amiga version of Defender of the crown.

http://youtu.be/gErqgJ875Lo

a video on my cd32

mike.

Attachments

• 259329-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-the-resource.png
    259329-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-the-resource.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 1195065329-00.jpg
    1195065329-00.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 263972-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-the-fair-saxon.png
    263972-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-the-fair-saxon.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 259331-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-catapult-time.png
    259331-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-catapult-time.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 259325-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-here-i-come.png
    259325-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-here-i-come.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 259322-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-preparing-for.png
    259322-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-preparing-for.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 259320-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-normans-i-hate.png
    259320-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-normans-i-hate.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 169790-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-sword-fighting.png
    169790-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-sword-fighting.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 259319-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-a-new-picture.png
    259319-defender-of-the-crown-ii-amiga-cd32-screenshot-a-new-picture.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nice review

So this is not a sequel, but a remake basically? I saw the #2 and thought that was something that would continue the original game.

Looks gorgeous thou!

Never actually played this. I should really give it a go, as I really loved the original!

Hi.
I have been on Amiga since ages and got all the Cinemaware games before.
I remember very well a weird thing though.
Anyone who got the DOTC 1 on Amiga 500 pn floppy disks remember the back cover on the box.
The screenshots of the game were from unknown version to me to this day...
Anyone ?
I double checked thru emulators each version of this game and never find out about it.
I'll apreciate if anyone could break this mystery...
You can check the picture on mobygames website for example.It is the picture from assault in the castle with swords...
Thanks.

Anyone who got the DOTC 1 on Amiga 500 pn floppy disks remember the back cover on the box.
The screenshots of the game were from unknown version to me to this day...
Anyone ?

If you send me yours, I'd be happy to check for you :whistle:

There is nothing to be sent.
I just said that the screenshot from the castle assault of the back cover is from unknown copy of Defender of the Crown....
You can check it out over the net.
Personaly I used emulators on computer to check on every version possible to find out or not what version it was but to this day never managed to find it.
Could you ?

Back
Top Bottom