Datel EX64 Cartridge Expander Assembly

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
A while back I purchased a Datel EX64 Cartridge Expander for the C64. There were no instructions, but I thought it would be fairly simple to assemble. For the most part, it was. Without the directions, I had to determine which chip went to each location. To figure this out, I searched online for different images.

From the images I found online, I was able to see which chip went to each location, but I also noticed that PIN 1 of each chip was facing the opposite direction of what was printed on my PCB. This obviously concerned me because I didn’t want to ruin my C64 or the expander. I was able to find a schematic but I was having trouble reading it.

Fortunately for me, TheCorfiot came to my rescue! He was able to tell me the proper pin locations to test on the PCB to see which direction the chips should go. Once he sent me the info, I was able to read the schematic and see how he came to the results he did! So, two things came from this. First, I learned something new (which is always good) and, second, the PCB was printed with PIN 1 at the wrong end for all three chips.

Since the chips were shown backwards, I was also concerned about the pin 1 location for the resistor pack. I was able to look at the schematic and figured out that it was printed properly. :D

So, everything is assembled and working perfectly! I just wanted to make this post to provide good images for anyone else who might need the information.

Yay!!!

Heather

nice work again

i have on old datel datalux switcher for mine

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. :D

Wow so the silk screen was wrong on the chip orientation?:eek:
Yup! I'm actually glad it wasn't a simple assembly because I found that I could identify a problem and I learned a lot about troubleshooting and reading a schematic. :)

Heather

Back
Top Bottom