Still Poor
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
Country
United Kingdom
Region
Lancashire
In the hope that Arcadian might be viewing:

I am looking for a Pegasus 400 DFS blank PCB and a Slogger Turbo Driver PCB (Part-populated)

Alternatively if anyone has either of these fully populated & working I would be interested.

Hi Graham

IainJH pointed me to this thread. I've just activated your account on StarDot and have enabled PM functionality.

I still have PCBs available for both the Pegasus Electron Disk Interface and the Electron Turbo Driver - I'll PM you with details on *. now.

I can't help you with regards to supplying finished units myself - but perhaps you could try posting in the thread on *. just in case someone might be willing to build/complete the boards for you in return for a few beer tokens! ;)

Cheers!
--Dave

Cheers Dave.

Have replied and sent Payment.

@iainjh - Thanks for the help.

Hi Graham

Happy to build them for you chap, is the turbodriver the 64k board that fits the 6502 if so I wouldnt mind one of those myself...

TC ;)

@TheCorfiot
Thnks for the offer but I fancy doing these ones myself - It last some PCBs where I will actually be able to see the solder points.

is the turbodriver the 64k board that fits the 6502
Yes it is - I couldnt resist seeing how much of a change these things actually make to the humble Electron

I'd like one of these for my electron too. But why do original electron disks (games / utilities) never seem to turn up for sale, either here or on the other bay? Were they really that rare?

Bryce.

I don't mean the interface, I mean the 3.5in disks. Why don't you ever see 3.5in Disk games for the electron on offer?

I reverse engineered the Pegasus 400 a while back, but I never got around to producing a PCB. I'd prefer an original PCB, just for its retro-ness :)

I have all the bits here, including a box of WDC1772 controllers. I just need something to solder them to :)

Bryce.

That's exactly what I mean. There were several Disk drive interfaces available:

Acorn Plus
Slogger Pegasus
Pres

But no disks?? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Bryce.

Just bought an Electron turbo board of Arcadian :)

I might do a stdp by step build guide and review on here when it arrives..

Time to look for some parts now :LOL:

That's exactly what I mean. There were several Disk drive interfaces available:

Acorn Plus
Slogger Pegasus
Pres

But no disks?? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Bryce.

Hiya Ian

For some bizarre reason Acorn adopted the 3.5"drive for the elk very early on in the day when 5.25" were still all the rage....
To make matters worse the plus 3 was only single sided and very pricey and the electron was discontinued not long after its release...
Software houses just did not support it due to its use of ADFS instead of the mainstream DFS system...
The Master compact suffered a similar fate which is a shame as that was a superb small footprint power house system, plug in a DFS rom and all was well again..

TC :)

The turbo driver is not the 64k board. The MRB (master ram board i think) gives 64k. The turbo driver has 8k onboard and needs to have the cpu and rom desoldered from the motherboard an soldered onto the turbo board. You then add two sockets to the motherboard and push the turbo board into the sockets. You will need to check the motherboard as those with separate os/basic roms are not suitable for the turbo driver.
I think it works by bypassing the ula when accessing the first 8k of ram as this is a bottleneck in the 20k screen modes, I think the cpu drops to below 1Mhz when in these modes.

@TheCorfiot
Thnks for the offer but I fancy doing these ones myself - It last some PCBs where I will actually be able to see the solder points.

Yes it is - I couldnt resist seeing how much of a change these things actually make to the humble Electron

Still waiting for my account on stardot to be authorised too.

I have an AP4 interface that seems to be playing up.

One of the chaps on there used to work for ACP/PRES

Russ

The turbo driver is not the 64k board. The MRB (master ram board i think) gives 64k. The turbo driver has 8k onboard and needs to have the cpu and rom desoldered from the motherboard an soldered onto the turbo board. You then add two sockets to the motherboard and push the turbo board into the sockets. You will need to check the motherboard as those with separate os/basic roms are not suitable for the turbo driver.
I think it works by bypassing the ula when accessing the first 8k of ram as this is a bottleneck in the 20k screen modes, I think the cpu drops to below 1Mhz when in these modes.

@TheCorfiot

Hiya syd

You are indeed quite right, I finally got round to a spot of googling.
I cant find any dox regarding installation or components used, or maybe even a few good close up piccys so I can get the parts...
I'm hoping it uses a std 6264 SRAM, which I have...

@TheCorfiot

Hiya syd

You are indeed quite right, I finally got round to a spot of googling.
I cant find any dox regarding installation or components used, or maybe even a few good close up piccys so I can get the parts...
I'm hoping it uses a std 6264 SRAM, which I have...

Mine arrived last week and had the 6264 soldered on. I'll post a pic later this morning. Only things missing, apart from the rom and cpu obviously , are the connectors underneath for inserting into the sockets on the motherboard.

---------- Post added at 07:25 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

DSCF6686.jpg

DSCF6685.jpg

One chip is a 6264 and the other is one of the following:
PAL1CL8ACN or
PAL16L8ACN or
PAL18L8ACN

I can't make out the markings so can't be sure.

Last edited:
Hi syd

Thank you so much for the piccys, they are indeed most useful (y)

I don't think the rom will need to be removed hence the red and black wires being soldered to the points on the board where the rom socket should go.
I have seen some install pics on chris's acorns site which depict this and show those two wires going to pads on lk8 next to the roms...

Would make life a tad easier and save costs on the pin headers..
The 2 top black wires are obviously for the switch..

Thanks buddy
TC ;)

Just checked the schems and I can confirm the following...

The Rom will not need to be removed...

The turbo board intercepts the rom select line from the ula which on a normal elk fitted with a 32k rom goes straight to pin 22 on the rom which is OE ie output enable...

As we know there is provision on the elks board for 2x 16k roms to be used instead this rquires the fitting of u17 to the board as well and LK8 is used to select this function...

LK8 basically handles this OE line from the ula to the rom, so simply cut the link and connect the 2 wires as follows.

Black to the top pad on lk8 will send the OE from the ULA to the PAL on the turbo driver pcb, then the output from the PAL ie red will go to the middle pad of lk8 which connects to pin 22 of the onboard rom...

It appears from syds pix and the tracking on the turbo pcb that is the only signal it needs to play with....

I will carry out some continuity tests on my elk to confirm the above, its possible depending on the boards tracking that I have the function of the black and red wire reversed, at the end of the day though they will be going to lk8 as described...

There you go easy peasy....:LOL:

TC ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom