The Acorn Atom - Uncovered

Ahh, I have fond memories of the Atom.

Thanks for the piccies and info, TC. Marvelous work there old chap. :)

I have a couple of them in storage, some modified, some enhanced with Charlie's great MMC adapter, one even 'unused'. The floppy drive unit was a real beast. Weighs a ton. :roll:
They are great machines to work on. Wish I had had one back in the days....

If Bas could build an Atom at 13 it stands to reason that his Mum had a flux capacitor in her Hoover.

If she had a flux capacitor in her Hoover, then surely she'd have flew back to the future to exchange her Hoover for a Dyson.

Good old Miles Dyson :LOL:

Awesome to see what an Acorn Atom looks like.

In my head I had confused the ARM processor and the Intel Atom to think that the Acorn Atom was the chip that you get in mobile devices.

Well done!!!!

Well done!!!!

I had an Acorn Atom when I was a kid, it was my first real store bought computer. (ok it was second hand...) at any rate I loved that computer...

It had 12k of ram and a color card... I even managed to write software for it for a local company called Oak Microware. The software was called Master Graphics I think...(I will have to try and find the licensing contract, which I still have...(this was in 82 if I recall correctly.)

This might seem normal to most, but I am in toronto Canada and this was a British computer... And there was only one store that sold software and magazines... Pretty sure it was called GLOBAL and I think it was near or on Avenue road and Eglington

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Great pics and great storey

Curious if anyone has heard of or remembers oak Microware and their ziplocked software packages.

Nice work TC! Thanks for the excellent pictures. The Atom is a very interesting computer indeed.

Just seen this, but what an epic and monumental piece of restoration. Well done good sir! (y)

I never got to experience the Atom myself. Blast to me for being so young. Perhaps some day!

Last edited:
TC sorted out my Atom so I can first-hand vouch for his amazing work.

Back
Top Bottom