AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Hi All!

Just sharing some more pics with ya'll! I hope you don't mind :D

I picked up a Supra Ram 500xp from this awesome trading post, it arrived yesterday so I thought it would be nice to try it out on my trusty A500+ which hasn't seen daylight or indeed any light for a few months...

I really didn't want to use a real SCSI drive, they're just too damn noisy so I grabbed my spare SCSI-IDE adapter and done a quick and dirty Classic Workbench install on a CF card I had kicking about :whistle:

P1030293_zpsf8c05050.jpg

The results, well... Worked first time :eek:

P1030296_zpsaae0b805.jpg

Of course I need to add some Fast Ram, that 2mb Chip isn't going to last long...

P1030294_zps6e01264a.jpg

Will also need to tidy up the cabling, I just grabbed a molex splitter and floppy power splitter to get it up and running:

P1030297_zpsb206969c.jpg

P1030298_zps792b3a68.jpg

And she looks pretty smart with the lid on :cool:

P1030300_zpsce40f3c8.jpg

Gotta love the simplicity of the older setups :)

Yep, 4gig transcend 133x, shame that's overkill for this slow device :-D
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; HTC_DesireHD Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

I recently bought on of tbtorro's faulty supra turbo 28's and thought I'd share my experience with it.

At first as described it only gave a blank screen. I noticed once removing the case white oxidisation on the pins and after cleaning I was able to get my A500+ to boot although it still randomly freezes. A quick wiggle of the supra and it un-freezes :eek:

Cold solder joint somewhere was my first thought but speed reading's are unusual :coffee:

Here's a pic of the supra attached with my supraram 500xp:

P1030330-1024_zpsbb4daf1d.jpg

And here are SysInfo shots with and without the supra connected:

P1030328-1024_zps8a26f1ef.jpg

P1030332-1024_zps33dd7f6e.jpg

As you can see it's showing 18.4mhz (should be 28.8mhz) Maybe it is a faulty crystal like tbtorro says it could be? Strange thing is that Supra software cant swap between speeds, it's stuck like this and software goes mad like swapping between slow/fast :dry:

So it kind of works lol, but it does lockup too. I wonder where I would find one of these Crystals? Or maybe I should reflow the connector first?

Oh almost forgot, drive speed shot for the SCSI-IDE setup:

P1030329-1024_zps0289bdd6.jpg

Anyway, I hope that was interesting if nothing else :LOL:

Start by re-flowing the conector if you saw oxidation in there.

If when touching the soldering iron on the connector the solder melts revealing a corroded pin you'll find the culprit. Very much like spotting a blind man in a nudity colony: will be not hard.

i would wait to do testing after you get some fastram for the 500xp;)

Cheers fella's, I've bought 2mb NOS Fast Ram from a Chinese Seller on eBay so it will be here in 10 days or so, I'll try again then :)

I need to grab another SCSI-IDE bridge too as I've used that in my A4000 to hook up the CDROM to my CSPPC lol

I hear the ACA500 should be coming out in the next month or so, will probably get one of those to tinker with as well :cool:

Steve,

Can the SCSI-IDE bridge be used in an A590 ? Have you got a link to where you buy them ?

Thanks....

WoW - Never knew they were so expensive.....:wooha:

Think I'm better off waiting for the ACA500. Am I correct in thinking that, if Jens manages to get kickstart licenses, that it could ship with Kickstart in the flash - would this allow my A1000 to autoboot like it used to with my broken M-Tec 500 (which had a kickstart rom).... (Still hoping against hope that TC can repair it sob! )

Yeah SCSI-IDE adapters can be quite expensive, I was lucky to find mine at reasonable prices either here or at eBay, I regret selling my 3 Yamaha SCS-IDE adapters now lol as they would have come in handy!

I bought these bits to tide me over till the ACA500 or Zeus68k :)

I'm sure we wont get the full details until release but indeed I've read that the ACA500 will indeed ship with Kickstarts and I also believe Jens is working on something for the A1000 so best head over to the thread at EAB and see what you can find out (y)

i dont want to derail steves thread.but jens has as far as i know when i last looked indeed has the licence for the kickstart roms for the aca500.
i think it will ship with 1.3,but i cant remember.

i have no idea if it will work on a 1000,it has to be upside down doesent it?
to plug it in.

Yes, A1000 port is upside down, but electrically identical to A500 - so should work. I have an A500 too so will buy and hope it works.

Are we anywhere nearer a release date ?

Just checked EAB and :(

The ACA500 is made for the A500 and comes with an elaborate mounting kit. The board consists of two parts, one that sits in the 68000 socket, and another that contains the accel/CF-slot/A1200 slot. It'll work on a technical basis, but probably not mechanically.

But Maybe :)

However, I still have that open promise of "2MByte chipram for A1000", which I may combine with a nice solution for the ACA500.

any chance of a picture of the dip switches on the 500xp steve?

the ones on the side of the case.:)

EDIT: sorry steve its ok ,ive found the what the switches do.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, I was busy today being burned at the stake! I'm glad you sorted it :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; HTC_DesireHD Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

Yes, A1000 port is upside down, but electrically identical to A500 - so should work. I have an A500 too so will buy and hope it works.

Are we anywhere nearer a release date ?
Nope, the lateral slot is just on the "wrong" side of the computer, so the first pins are close to the front of the A1000 and goes to the back.

On A500 the pin counting is from the back to the front.

hi steve.

does that scsi bridge of yours work ok with a real scsi drive on the same cable?

hi steve.

does that scsi bridge of yours work ok with a real scsi drive on the same cable?

Hi!

I don't see why it wouldn't, it works fine now in my A4000 on the IDE CDRW with an UW SCSI-IDE bridge and HDD on the same chain.

I don't have any working real SCSI HDD to try tho, the last one died a few days ago :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom