Question about motherboard work

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I have almost zero soldering skills, but I would like to know out of interest, how does one remove and replace a joystick port on an Amiga?

Can it be done with a soldering iron or do you need a hot air workstation thingy?

Im wondering because I have 2 Amigas that need them replacing, Ive already asked MJ about it, just waiting on a response but want to know how its done :)

I've been pondering this too, for replacement sockets and caps actually. I'd love to do my own as its a bit difficult getting someone to do it for you.

Mike is really good with this sort of stuff but hes very busy at the moment otherwise Id say it would be good to ask him. Id like to know how to do it out of interest, might be worth learning how to do it

Mike is really good with this sort of stuff but hes very busy at the moment otherwise Id say it would be good to ask him. Id like to know how to do it out of interest, might be worth learning how to do it

Yep indeed. His skills are very apparent throughout the forums.

I too would like to learn it for myself though so I could do my own work.

Sockets and thru-caps are fairly easy to do with basic tools.

I usually use a soldering iron and a separate solder-sucker. Some prefer copper braid, but the target result is the same - remove all the old solder. The component is usually fairly easy to remove from then. You just need a bit of patience.

You then need to put your new component in, the correct way round and re-solder.

Using better tools such as a hot-air gun might provide better results, but do need more skill. I've not ventured down this route yet.

You can de-solder the old one with a iron & braid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcbezX8TrOU

And then solder the new one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYWwKe8f2kc

It looks easy, but I really struggled with the de-soldering. I was ok soldering (fitting a new simm socket)

mjnurney has something like this:

$(KGrHqIOKiwE12VoPCZHBNwtTGGZ)!~~_1_2556_1.JPG

It's a vacuum solder sucker/desolderer and it's plain awesome, check out his clip here using it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZSGdxo0CkQ&list=UUOFrfzLOmI73lCTXDY-c3tw&index=115

Awesome eh?

I have the same de-soldering gun as Mike. My experience de-soldering was zilch but with the de-soldering gun i was able to replace sockets on a FastATA and remove chips from lots of boards (practising) with ease. Really handy tool. I also have a hot air station but haven't really attempted to use it yet.

That gun looks awesome! Got any ebay links to some good ones?

I may just attempt to replace the socket myself if its easy enough. I tried to desolder it with my iron but the PCB and surrounding components were getting quite warm so I stopped before I damaged anything (its a 30w iron).

i use hot air to remove the sockets from the board:)

i pre heat the motherboard to about 150c and apply flux paste as your doing it for about ten minutes and gradually after the ten minutes build the heat up(moving the gun all the time) until you see(and you will see the solder melt) the solder melt then pry the socket from the board from each end with a screwdriver.it will just fall out.:)
remeber its through hole so the pre heat is important.

remember always use flux and heat at the same time as removing the socket so it doesent have time to set again while your working.

try it on something you dont need as a practice go.youll see how easy it is.

you could even use a hot heat gun that has a temprature control on.

also,do it in a well ventilated area,youll thank me for telling this part.:)

heres another one:)

get your soldering iron(if its temprature controlled) set it a little above the melting point for solder.

apply lots of solder after pasting the socket area with flux paste and over fill(just keep applying solder until it covers all the solder points on the socket) with molted solder and while moving the iron around the area to keep it molted it will desolder the socket in one go.:) and simply pry it out.

the last one can be a little difficult if your not used to it.

This is the one i bought Taj. Temperature controller iron & desoldering gun.
From reviews i've read its not great quality and is a rebranded chinese model but i've not experienced any issues and does the job for me everytime.

Duratool D00674 Soldering & Rework Station

i use hot air to remove the sockets from the board:)

i pre heat the motherboard to about 150c and apply flux paste as your doing it for about ten minutes and gradually after the ten minutes build the heat up9moving the gun all the time) until you see(and you will see the solder melt) the solder melt then pry the socket from the board from each end with a screwdriver.it will just fall out.:)

remember always use flux and heat at the same time as removing the socket so it doesent have time to set again while your working.

try it on something you dont need as a practice go.youll see how easy it is.

you could even use a hot heat gun that has a temprature control on.

also,do it in a well ventilated area,youll thank me for telling this part.:)

You preheat the motherboard to 150c ? :eek:

I think this is the actual one Mike uses:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Duratool-...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item2a2c284760

I really should buy one!

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

This is the one i bought Taj. Temperature controller iron & desoldering gun.
From reviews i've read its not great quality and is a rebranded chinese model but i've not experienced any issues and does the job for me everytime.

Duratool D00674 Soldering & Rework Station

Sweet!

Does both jobs - I want :D

Great responses guys, much appreciated (y)

So which one out of the two is the best one to go for? The one MJ uses specifically states its a desoldering station, does that mean I couldnt use it to solder a new socket back on?

yeah mate,it only desolders.
I just noticed the price on the one Scrappy linked to:wooha:Are there any cheaper options or is it something I should just stump up for as its not worth getting the cheaper ones?

What about the ones described as a 'soldering station' then. They have soldering iron, suction thingy and hot air gun as well.

Wouldnt they be suitable as a more complete solution ?

For what very little it's worth I use something very like this as my 'hot air rework station':

dovecraft-twin-speed-multi-purpose-heat-gun.jpg

Why?
-Well, I never really got the hang of solder-suckers - I only use them to unplug IC pin holes.
-Once I got the hang of using hot air it's such a doddle to use for removing multi-legged components.
-I'm far too mean to buy a proper rework station - 'mine' came free with my wife's other often useful craft supplies.

The only thing I'd say is practice on non-important components first - you have no temperature control or monitoring, beyond feel, with something as crude as this.

Back
Top Bottom