Amiga is Yes. :)
AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Country
Sweden
Region
Smaland
Preferably with some RAM, but not vital.

An interface like this, http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/impact500mk2

I had a HD+ but fried it with Apple SIMMs, and now I'm back to A500 df0: mode...

Edit: I'm also interested in one of these, http://www.icd.com/amiga/ and IVS Trumpcard or Grandslam.

Edit 2: Huh, the title in the wanted amiga list didn't change. Any moderator wanna fix?

Last edited:
What did you with the HD8+? I remember that I hinted someone to just swap the level-shifter on the board.

That cured it.

If you don't feel brave to try the "operation", can you sell it? Or even give the dead device to someone in the recycle bin.

It was a HD+, not a HD8+. 'Level shifter'? Can't remember that. I remember someone saying the Apple ram probably fried the memory controller, though.

I'll actually test it now or in 10 hours time and if it's still non functioning, I'll be glad to give it to someone for postage. btw 'fried' is ofc an exaggeration, the card looks as new, nothing has burned up ;) red bootmenu 'BAD' when tested memory is inserted.

Can you point me what exactly board you have in Amiga Hardware Database?

The HD8+ have seven chips on it. Those 3 mid-way of expansion connector are nothing to worry. The TTL chip (74F56? The picture is a bit blurred) near the CPLD may be the culprit.

I'm glad that you want to help me, but without fault-searching, getting replacement chips, solder jobs, getting new memory, etc I can never hope to have memory in my old GVP card.

I don't mind the job or the time, but it's too many 'maybes' while my machine is non-usable.

So I'm still after a working card with memory, I know "all" PIO cards except Supradrive work both with 68000 and 68040. The A590 and the GVP I had worked, but loaded slower in 68040 mode than 68000 mode when 32-bit ram enabled, cause unknown. I know GVP HD8+ and HC8+ are supposed to work better.

So, Trumpcard/Grandslam, GVP, Trifecta, or similar would save my day :)

I have a GVP HD8+ I'd sell:

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/impact500mk2

PCB is revision 3. I haven't booted it in many years, but I can test it and take a few pics Saturday morning... I recall it worked perfect and the plastic was clean. Any rough idea on the value of one of these?

Damion

Last edited:
@photon

instead of binning the A500HD+ let me know if you would post it, if I may I would like to have a crack at fixing it.

Alas, I cannot say when I would get time to do it.... I still have your A608 here to work on ... sigh.... need more time....

but please dont bin it or throw it away.

Zetro, I never but never throw anything Amiga away, don't worry :)

Damion, mine was a rev 6 with a 3.15 rom, like the one you linked to. Supposedly it uses some trick to reach up to 3.58 MB/s, but I never saw that with mine. In 68000 mode it did 1.9 MB/s and in PP&S 68040 mode with 32-bit ram enabled (and I tried some mask settings) it did 0.9 MB/s.

The big question is, does it have RAM on board? I think I can avoid putting Apple RAM in this new one :censored: but I would really like to get it with RAM if you can install some.

Going away tomorrow 3PM, back Sunday 3PM or so (Sunday morning-ish in USA I guess).

I've valued them at 50-60 Euro (about $77?) without RAM and upto 100 Euro ($140?) with 8MB RAM IIRC. If that sounds okay you have a deal Damion, with or without RAM. :) If it has something extra like a Guru-ROM I could sweeten the deal ofc ;)

I would be happy with $75, it does have RAM but I'm not sure how much. I'll get it tested and run a few benchmarks, talk to you Saturday. :)

OK, pulled my A500 and the GVP out of the closet. The controller was something I got in a large load of Amiga gear from a local guy. Everything was very clean, non-smoker, etc.

It has 2MB installed (2 1MB SIMMs), and a 50MB Quantum that it probably came with.

Ralph's RawSCSISpeed benchmark sez 1.7MB/s read and write at the device level. Dunno if it would be any faster with a more modern drive.

Cosmetically, the condition is great. There might be some very slight yellowing, but it's difficult to tell - the color appears uniform, anyway. There are some minor scratches on the top towards the rear, which you can only see if you look closely.

The one real negative - the lid can't be screwed down properly, the previous owner broke off some of the mounting poles for the screws. :/

Pic 1

Pic 2

edit: Plugged in my A530, its ancient drive tests 1.1MB/s read/write. I do recall reading (again, according to Ralph) that SCSI on GVP accelerators with WD33C93 is actually slower than the stand-alone SCSI controllers, limit about 2.3MB/s. So my guess is that these things "in theory" should test a bit better with faster drives.

edit2: found the front post floating around underneath the HD. Looks like it would easily glue into place - that leaves the front center post, and the two in the rear. :p

Last edited:
Hey :) Just came home. Looks great, mounting poles are no biggie. I do have the broken GVP with a (European) PSU, so basically I really only need the card and I can just put it in my old case.

I don't mind if you send it in the case, with the heavy duty iron plates... depends on if you have some use for it or will throw it away, and what it costs to ship it.

Definitely keep the USA PSU and HDD :)

I think the best would be if you just send the card and the SCSI cable. Doesn't need to be super fast shipping, but I do prefer airmail.

Gimme a total and your paypal address, and I'll send money. (y)

Shipped today by airmail. Incidentally, I just remembered that I've had an A530 in my pile since forever, sans case - so this works out perfectly. :)

Hehe, great (y)

BTW someone wanted an A530 on here - but I'm guess you're not letting that go eh ;)

Might let it go, going to play with it for a few days and make sure it's fully working. I think I'm having more fun with the basic A500/1084 combo and my old boxes of floppies.. :p

Got the HD8+ rev 3 today, fully tested and working (and in use (y)), see this thread.

Thx for a good deal, let me know when you've finished playing with the A530 so I can buy it (arrrgh... must... stop... buying... lovely... Amiga... things...) :blink:

Awesome deal, top marks heading your way :bowdown:

---------- Post added at 04:39 ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 ----------

Huh. Just after I posted this I went to leave feedback and it wanted me to log in ...again... :nuts:

I did, and it said thanks, and then 'you don't have permission, please log in a third time' (paraquote)...

Forgot the thread link... it won't play ball with the 68040, so I get r/w errors. Known error and the solution is to cut some trace. By which they sometimes mean open a jumper, since some revisions have jumpers instead. F.ex. my rev.3 has a jumper near the zorro whereas the one on amiga.resource.cx doesn't. That could be it? Though I would very much like to know more about the 'extra' jumpers that have no silkscreened text.

Anyone know?

@Photon: this is a case for Ami Oracle. This thread will be closed.

Don't forget to leave feedback to each other, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom