Review: Joytab 9.7 Pro Duo - a good showing

Snoozy

Only Amiga makes it possible
AmiBayer
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Well, i've had my Joytab 9.7 Pro Duo for a while now and although I am an IPad 3 advocate, I really think this Joytab gives it a close run and in terms of value for money it surpasses the IPad3 without question.

As well as super fast WiFi b/g/n, you can also connect your Gemini Joy Tab to your PC via USB and to your TV via the HDMI 1.4 port. It also can take a micro sd card of up to 32gb to bump up storage.

Gemini Devices are a relative newcomer to the market but are UK based and been about for a few years now.

Here are the specs of this dual core tablet with quad core graphics processor:

Features:-
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (The latest Google OS)
- Bluetooth Keyboard Case Protect your tablet & type with ease.
- Powerful Dual Core Processor Dual Core CPU & Quad Core Graphics

Specifications
- CPU: ARM Cortex A9 Dual Core 1.60GHz (RK3066)
- Graphics: ARM Mali-400 Quad Core
- Memory: 1GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB Storage, upto 32GB with Micro SD Card
- Display: LCD Capacitive Multi-Touch Screen/9.7inch LCD – 1024 x 768
- Connectivity: Micro USB Port, Micro SD, HDMI
- Audio: Built-in 2x1W Stereo Speakers, Built-in Mic, 3.5mm Stereo Earphone Jack
-Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n & Bluetooth 2.1
- Camera: Front 0.3 Megapixel and rear 2.0 Megapixel
- Video: AVI, XVID, MKV, WMV, MOV, MP4, H.264, MPEG, DIVX, FLV. HD 1080P Music: MP3, WMA, MP2, OGG, AAC, M4A, FLAC, 3GP, WAV
- Battery: 8000mAh
- Gyroscope: Built in G sensor for gaming and automatic screen rotation
- Internet : Web Browser, JAVA, YouTube, Email, HTML5, Adobe Flash
- Utilities: Calendar, Alarm Clock, Calculator, Recorder, Picture Viewer
- Dimensions : (W) 241.6mm x (H) 185mm x (D) 9.8mm,
- Weight: 632g (without KB), KB: 320g
- Warranty: 1yr

I have found it smooth in all use, although I haven't pushed it on the games side of things and i haven't installed any emulators either. I find battery life good but not as good as my ipad 3 (say 60% of battery power of ipad3) or around 8 hours of moderate use (including some youtube and video etc)

Sound is decidely average from the 2 speakers but fine via quality headphones.

In truth this joypad is more aligned to an IPad2 and better to draw comparison to that model; the newer IPad3 and IPad4 screens are undoubtedly better quality than the Joytab 9.7 Pro Duo.

However, i really like the bluetooth keyboard that fits professionally with the joytab via flick up switch on the keyboard integrating with the bezel edge of the tablet, fitting snuggly and giving a net book appearance. This quality keyboard also doubles as a screen protector that the tablet folds into after use.

So if you're after a good quality tablet with some features of a laptop and wish to keep your budget within £100 (open box clearance units) then the Joytab makes a good case for itself. Make sure you go for the dual core version with the A9 chip (y) (avoid the 2012 release with slow single core A8 chip, otherwise similar appearance)

There's a more detailed review here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXsJF8QsL0

And this is where i purchased mine:

http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/OBSP...BOX-SLIGHTLY-SHABBY-PRODUCT-PRISTINE-PRISTINE

(if you are considering buying, act fairly swiftly as those tight fisted lot are linking to it on hotdealsuk/moneysaving expert etc :LOL:)

No doubt there would be some that would advocate the Nexus or Asus transformer. The former in the 7" version could be a similar price but personally i find 7" screens too claustrophobic. The latter is more costly and if you're thinking of the Asus why not do it properly and get an IPad3 or 4 ;)

I can't make any comment on long terms reliability but other reviews are fairly favourable and WhatLapTop gave the JoyPad 9.7 the Number 1 Editors pick in its category.

Well i hope this review can be of use to some of you :)

Snoozy out

Attachments

• JoyTab_10-inch.jpg
    JoyTab_10-inch.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 5
  • gemini-devices-joytab-duo-9-7-pro.jpg
    gemini-devices-joytab-duo-9-7-pro.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5
Root it and use a custom kernel, you will get better performance out of it.
I had my Nexus running for 9 hours doing intensive stuff.

Always wise to backup your install though just incase. As changing stuff can brick it if your unsure of what your doing.

Hi FOL,

Yeah i don't really feel up to rooting it, although i think gemini devices stated they may release future versions unrooted :unsure:

In any case i worry what it would do to my warranty and i would also likely lose the software updates that gemini have been releasing (which have been there to optimise the speed of jellybean and increase battery management efficiency etc)

I think the joytab pro duo rates pretty favourably to other android tablets in terms of performance :)

I have 2 of these joytabs, one for the lounge and one for the conservatory/garden.

I will try to remember to give a longer term view many months further down the line

Well its 6 months down the line, so quick update.

Both joytabs working fine, one of them went to a white screen on switch on, a couple of months back. It was still under warranty but a little googling indicated the video cable may have become detached. Some careful prying of the case (there are no screws) got it open and reinsert video cable and resecured with some strong tape.

All else fine, these models have now been deleted by gemini in favour of quad core versions

Final update, both joytabs going fine, batteries still work well but may need replacing in next year or two.

The hinge for one of the keyboard has been snapped (my cat was the prime suspect and is saving up her pellets money for a replacement keyboard)

Hope this review was of use to ppl

Back
Top Bottom