Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Few questions about Turbo Chameleon.

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    kokkola
    Feedback
    50 (100%)

Default Few questions about Turbo Chameleon.

1) Can it work as "just" a 1541 emulator or does it always disable the c64 internal cpu and whatnot?

2) Does it use the real sid hardware inside c64 when connected to c64 or does it emulate sid?

3) Does this basically turn my c64 to just a power supply with keyboard and joystick ports or how much of the actual c64 is actually used?

4) Is this a good thing to buy instead of the (currently not very available) 1541 ultimate? I want to use this with my c64 and pc crt monitor and I would prefer it to behave and sound like a real c64, without any emulation glitches. (If necessary, I can use crt tv with s-video cable instead of pc crt monitor if this alters the behavior.)

5) Does the recent Prince of Persia C64 version work with this cart?

6) Does Turrican work with this cart?

7) Do multi load games in general work?

What about scene demos?

Thanks for reading my questions!
    Certainly, they existed... Those blinded by ambition. Those consumed with vengeance. But here, they do not exist. Only winners and losers here. For here, THE MIGHTY RULE!!!

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    kokkola
    Feedback
    50 (100%)

oh well. I ordered one of these anyways just so I can see what it does as rewinding and loading tapes is not something Iīm looking to do for all eternity
    Certainly, they existed... Those blinded by ambition. Those consumed with vengeance. But here, they do not exist. Only winners and losers here. For here, THE MIGHTY RULE!!!

Asking the questions because I DON'T KNOW Amibayer!
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Sealand
    Feedback
    134 (100%)

That's the one with vga output, is it not?
    ^^^ IMHO... Always IMHO ^^^

r0jaws is my hero
    Keropi is my supreme being

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    kokkola
    Feedback
    50 (100%)

Yes, it has vga output. Thatīs why Iīm thinking I might be able to use this with same monitor that I use with my amiga/indi aga setup

Staff Moderator
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Sealand
    Feedback
    134 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
    Yes, it has vga output. Thatīs why Iīm thinking I might be able to use this with same monitor that I use with my amiga/indi aga setup
    Do let us know how it works out for you. I was contemplating getting it, exactly because of the vga output.

r0jaws is my hero

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    kokkola
    Feedback
    50 (100%)

Okay the vga output is a definite letdown. Itīs almost as if someone put some kind of blur filter on it.

Another way to describe it: You know when pcs had graphics cards with only vga outputs, how there was sometimes big difference in 2d image quality between various cards? Well this looks like output from a bad 2d graphics card. Maybe its the ramdac, maybe rf filters, it looks like some cheap components are causing sub-optimal picture. Bland colors, blurry. I much prefer the s-video output to my tv, which looks much nicer, itīs colors more vibrant and pixels much sharper in comparison.

Using this thing just as a 1541 emulator isnīt perfect either. Most games that I threw at it seemed to work while some just load and then immediately crash (Mayhem in Monsterland being the most disappointing example of no go). Most scene demos that I tried seem to output corrupted graphics. Garbage pixels here and there.

Not particularly happy with it.If I get a chance to buy a 1541 ultimate, Iīll throw this chameleon thing away.

I know... itīs beta... but I thought long enough time had passed since release that it would be better. Thereīs not a single thing that is bad enough about this to make it a bad product overall... its all the issues combined. Itīs still vaguely useful for loading up some games that I dont have on tape, for now.

Iīd give it a score of 6 out of 10

Keeper of the Valiant Turtles. Amibayer! thecellartroll's Avatar
    Country
    Scotland
    Region:
    Edinburgh
    Feedback
    36 (100%)

I'll swap my 1541-U for your chameleon
    Commodore VIC20 & SD2IEC, 64x5 & Chameleon, 64Cx4, C128, Plus4 & SIDcard C16, C16@64K, Sinclair Spectrum+ 128K & divIDE2k11 +2 +3 ZX81 &ZonX, Amstrad CPC 464x2 6128x2 6128+, Acorn RiscPC 600 (StrongARM + 586), Electronx3, +1, +3, BBC Master128 + MMC & Valiant Turtle, C64 DTV, Atari 800XL.

Staff Moderator
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Sealand
    Feedback
    134 (100%)

That's a dissapointment

They are probably doing bilinear upscaling instead of just line doubling, which would look much better. I'm sure the 1541 emulation will get better, though.
    Are they updating it regularly?

As a side note, I had a chance to connect my C64 to my Framemeister Mini via s-video yesterday, which looks really good. Not as good as on a 1084, but close

r0jaws is my hero

Country
    Finland
    Region:
    kokkola
    Feedback
    50 (100%)

Looks to me like they update it somewhere along the lines of once a year.

Iīll do that ultimate <-> chameleon swap if youīre serious about it.

Iīm looking for accurately emulated floppy drive emulation I can use with a memory card... which is exactly what the ultimate seems to do.

Now this chameleon thing has all kinds of features that I donīt really want or need and yet it doesnīt do the things I want it to do properly

Staff Moderator
    Country
    Denmark
    Region:
    Sealand
    Feedback
    134 (100%)

The 1541u is awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

r0jaws is my hero