In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
I'm searching for a SCSI hard disk drive for my A4000D. It's better to be more than 40GB.

I'm searching for a SCSI hard disk drive for my A4000D. It's better to be more than 40GB.

Why? You'd be hard pushed to fill it m8.

Also, you're better off with say 2 x 20GB hard drives or more. File operations are much quicker accross SCSI Drives than from one partition to another on the same drive. One Drive is reading whilst the other writes using Fast Ram as a buffer. (y)

Be sure you have a hefty PSU when using multiple Hard drives though. ;)

Kin

That's exactly my problem Kinny. The PSU. Where I can find a more powerful one which I can put it inside my desktop?:unsure:

It's better to create a new thread I think.

Did you check with Zetr0 as I said on another thread elsewhere?

I sent him an A4KD PSU housing with a 300W ATX PCB chucked in it. I don't know what Zetr0 was gunnno do with it as it needed finishing off. I retired from Big Box Amiga's with the sale of 3 x CS PPC cards last year.

A couple of 9GB SCSI drives in your A4KD would suffice tbh & unless you have SCSI III, leave the 10Krpm+ drives alone. Their power draw is far greater than 7200RPM devices & it all happens on the Spin up. ;)

Kin

You looking for something for a CSPPC? I might have a spare 18GB disk that'll go with that. Will let you know.

Yes, for my CSPPC. Well, thanks Andy for one more time.(y)

If you can find something more (in capacity)... u know... :D

@ Kinny

I don't know. Do I have to ask Zetr0 for such stuff? Does he make them on his own?

Sometimes Phantom, I wonder if the lights are on but no one is at home! :p

Read Slowly & digest m8:

I sent an A4KD PSU housing to Zetr0 with a 300W ATX PCB thrown into it. It was an unfinished project of mine that required finishing. He had no plans with it afaik, so why don't you PM him about it and ask him if he wants to sell it?

Penny dopped now? :LOL:

Kin

I've definitely got some 9GB and 18GB disks around the place. There might be a spare 36GB, but I doubt it. I'll get back to you on Monday, since all this stuff is at work.

I've got a spare 50G and a 70G drive lying about, they're 80pin internal drive. Also have an internal 80->50 and an internal 80->68/50. Both drives are formatted with a 4G partition and one that covers the rest of the drive and the SFS.

I think the 70gb drive is a 7200 rpm drive (or was it 10000rpm), noice is acceptable but it does run hot

The 50gb drive is slower, runs cooler but is slight higher than most modern 3.5" drives.

If you're interested i'll have a look for the brand names and type numbers.

Still have had time/the heart to dismember the a3000

Hi Parcival and thanks for your reply.

If I'm not mistaken, CSPPC SCSI is 68pins (if I'm wrong please correct me).

As I wait for AndyLandy's answer, I'll keep in mind yours of course, and I'll update this thread. :)

If you refuse Parcival's 0ff3r, I'll make a thread asking for one of those babies! :)

Sure, no problem, but first I'm waiting AndyLandy's news.

Hi Parcival and thanks for your reply.

If I'm not mistaken, CSPPC SCSI is 68pins (if I'm wrong please correct me).

As I wait for AndyLandy's answer, I'll keep in mind yours of course, and I'll update this thread. :)
Yes the csppc has a scsi wide bus thus uses 68 pin, i might even still have some 68pin cable. The 2 drive i've talked about have a sca bus ( http://www.transintl.com/technotes/scsi.htm ) which always uses some sort of bridge to connect to a a scsi bus. Their bus is wide (16b) but they can be used on scsi narrow (8b) as i've done on a a3000 with a patched scsi.device to get beyond the 4GB limit. SFS can detect if the device doesn't support 64b and in that case refuses access beyond the 4GB limit, saving the lower partition from being overwritten.

Update so far:

I've got quite a few SCSI disks, some of unknown size and condition. I'd like to test them before I send you anything (nobody wants a broken hard disk!)

There are a very few that are 68-pin UW-SCSI. Most of the disks I have are 80-pin hotswap SCA disks, but you should be able to get an adapter pretty cheap.

I'll let you know what I find, but if you're in a hurry, feel free to accept another offer.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom