Amiga 500 Sealed:To open or not to open

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi guys

Im just wanting peoples opinions as Im a bit indecisive at the best of times (hey Nick,Im currently NOT getting the Indivision!LOL!).

I recently acquired an A500 in very reasonable condition (just the base unit nothing else, not even the half meg upgrade but got that now thanks to TokyoRacer (y)). I think its most likely to be a rev6 board (green/amber LEDs) and its got very little yellowing.

Anyhoo, the warranty seal is still in place and Im wondering whether I should open the Amiga up (just to nosey cos I like to open them up, not that Id do anything like Zetro gets up to!).

So what do you guys think? Should I open it up or is it a rarety to have them sealed?

I was thinking (just thinking ATM!) of doing the chip ram thing that Zetro demonstrated in a recent thread (the one where you cut/solder a coupld of pads and it makes the Amiga see 1MB Chipram using the trapdoor ram if you have the right Agnus) EDIT: Im talking about this mod : https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=4722

Last edited:
What do you afraid of? Losing your invalid warranty? :p

What do you afraid of? Losing your invalid warranty? :p

Im not bothered about breaking a warranty seal, I just dont want to do it if its rare to find them in this way, Id rather preserve it :) (or sell it if I dont win the lottery any time soon! LOL)

There are several ways to put off the warranty seal and keep it untouched, so you can stick it again later. :D

Just put your mind to think m8. (y)

I'm of the opinion that the state of the warranty seal is irrelevant to the value of a unit as common as the 500. Overall condition is much more important.

If anything, completing the 1 Meg hack might increase it's potential value.

Break the seal & look at getting her upgraded. (y)

Kin

Im going to open it and do the hack! I just didnt want to open it and find out later that Ive messed up a vintage piece of equipment :blink:

Ive got a Kickstart 2.0 chip somewhere, might stick that in too :)

I think its most likely to be a rev6 board (green/amber LEDs)

One way to tell is to load up a game and see if the power LED dims or turns completely off when the audio filter is disabled. I have an A500 with green and amber LED'S and the power LED turns off when the audio filter is disabled which indicates an earlier revision board. I suspect mine is a rev 5 board but i've not checked as my seal is still intact and i have no reason to open it yet :)

As far as i know it's only rev 6 boards and later that dim the led when showing the status of the audio filter ;)

OK Ive opened it up!

Its a rev. 6A. Im going to do the chip ram hack on it to see if I cock it up then go for it on my main A500 if all goes OK (this will be a few weeks from now as Im currently in the porcess of moving!). I also upgraded the ROM to v2.04 :)

Why on earth do people use non-standard screws??! The A500 had the "star" type screws, why bother? You can buy screw drivers to open the bloody things up easily enough.

Yeah, I know there are some collectors that will pay hundreds more for them when they still have that..

OK Ive opened it up!

er.. never mind..

;-) :)

OK, couldn't help it..

desiv

Back
Top Bottom