AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
Today I got a JXD 7300:

P1050502_zpsf6485f85.jpg

For those of you know don't know this device it's a 7in Android Pad with proper Game controls so ideal for Emulation, etc :cool:

Nice one Steve! (y)

Have to say that Android architecture has simplified gamepad design a great deal. Just put some off-the-shelf components together, make a customized Android, design a case and there you have it.

The public demands a review. :)

Thanks guys, I'll probably do a review for my site as not many people have heard about it. (If I do I'll post it here to!)

I was looking for a new emulation machine to replace my GP2x which is pretty outdated to say the least. I also have this Gemei A330 but it's a little on the small size and some emulators aren't very polished, ideal if travel space is an issue though!

Since I was really pleased with emulation on my HTC Desire HD I thought about this android tablet instead (since I can't stand touch screen controls)

It's by far the cheapest speed vs price option when looking at things like the open pandora.

It's much bigger than I expected though! :coffee:

Nice one Steve! (y)

Have to say that Android architecture has simplified gamepad design a great deal. Just put some off-the-shelf components together, make a customized Android, design a case and there you have it.

The public demands a review. :)

It's nice mate, what the Amiga and c64 emulation like?

Hey djos, I'm actually pretty disappointed right now as it looks like the last user has put some kind of custom firmware on and operating system, none of the included emulators are installed so I grabbed some of the ones from the Play Store to try.

There's no button mapping software installed, it's missing so I can't even use the buttons, I've sent the seller a message to see if he can give me any tips.

I'm probably going to have to try and restore the original firmware, hopefully that's not too much trouble.

For now I can play some games with a combination of left stick and touch screen but that's not ideal.

I tried Tincore Keymapper which is an alternative but I cant get any screen touches mapped to a button, I'm seeing errors so I guess there's a problem with this firmware/OS.

Pretty bummed out as I've spent all day googling and messing with it.

I re-installed the Custom Firmware since I didn't hear back from the seller yet and it sounded straight forward and interesting reading the features:

http://boards.dingoonity.org/jxd-devices/jxd-s7300-fixes-firmware-roms-thread/

Now all seems to work and I had the option to install all the missing emulators which is cool and now of course the key mapper is working perfect too :)

I guess the seller accidentally removed some needed apps when cleaning it out for sale?

Anyway, all is well now and serves me right for being el-cheapo and buying one used :LOL:

I also had another doh! moment, I bloody put the Micro SD card in the HDMI port by mistake and lost it inside the machine, so had to open it up and retrieve. :picard

anyway, that aside I'm feeling much happier now with my purchase, hopefully the next post will be my review (y)

I also had another doh! moment, I bloody put the Micro SD card in the HDMI port by mistake and lost it inside the machine, so had to open it up and retrieve.

:ROTFLOL2:

I also had another doh! moment, I bloody put the Micro SD card in the HDMI port by mistake and lost it inside the machine, so had to open it up and retrieve.

:ROTFLOL2:

Turns out I'm not a plonker after all, the SD slot is badly designed as it happened again! I didn't put the card in the wrong slot after all, there's a gap above the slot and if you feed it wrong then it's bye bye SD card and out with the screwdriver!

And the touch screen is playing up now :picard

I'm close to throwing this thing out the Window :computertrash:

I realised I'd installed 1.0 of the custom FW so will try upgrading to 1.1, if this doesn't work you'll find the remains of this piece of junk in my bin!

Haven you tries v2.1 which is in the link I posted?

No I haven't tried going back to the official firmware yet for fear of bricking it, I remember on the PSP you couldn't go directly back to official FW back in the day after using a hack. I'm doing some research to make sure it's safe as that might be the best option.

I'm concerned though that the touch screen has developed a fault as it was ok at first and now it's registering touches everywhere and going mental.

Anyway. don't want to drag this post off topic into a support post :whistle:

I'll report my progress in a new thread later (if I don't end up putting a hammer to it :LOL:)

Hey guys :)

Well I made at last some real progress!

The screen fault wasn't actually caused by firmware it was due to having the mains adapter plugged in, after doing some searching I found another user had reported his screen playing up when the mains charger is plugged in and as soon as I unplugged it normal operation resumed!

Prior to this discovery I also installed the latest official firmware, whilst there is a lot less functionality than the custom firmware it's easier to use so probably better for a novice user, the built in emulators seem to work well too and already have the buttons mapped which is nice.

I liked my Google account so all the software I've bought for my Android phone is available so that's cool, I already installed some games, etc and they seem to work fine.

So I'm reasonably happy now, my advice would be unless you know what you're doing buy one new as buying used although I got the unit half price has caused me a massive headache!

I'll do a full review once I've had the time to test everything out, I've just installed UAEforall so I'll let you know how that performs, it should be excellent ad it's fast and smooth on my HTC Desire HD.

ps. thanks Keropi for splitting the threads (y)

Nice review Steve! :)

I'm going to have to get one now! :D and they are so affordable too!

Back
Top Bottom