Trouble with the Genius Programmer

vibros

Country
Italy
Region
Emilia-Romagna
Hello,

i am an happy user of a G840 programmer, but it has stopped to work.
Some days ago i have burned some Epromms, then the computer has no more recognized this device.
I have detached the power plug from the net, then i have reattached it and the device has definitively stopped to work (all the LED are on). I was on a new project, with my own logic to burn in a eprom, but all is stopped.
Then i was needed tu upgrade an A3640 card to rev. 3.2.
I have asked to the producer for new spare parts, and i wait a reply (i hope a positive reply).

All the infos that can help to solve this problem are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Stefano

Attachments

• DCP_5743.JPG
    DCP_5743.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello,

i have received some replies but not much explanations. I have found inside the box of the programmer this card. Know you if it is a warranty card? If yes, is it true outside the China? And, if yes, the most important question: how can be filled...:LOL:

Regards
Stefano

Attachments

• DCP_5774.JPG
    DCP_5774.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 0
That's a quality control card from the manufacturing process.

Bryce.

Hello,

thanks, but i think that is more then a "Quality control" card. Or you know very well this device. If you have a valid contact address, please PM me.

Regards
Stefano

maybe its worth popping it open and having a look at the innards.

Hello,

i have bought it on EBay.com. It has a sticker on the plastic cover, with printed 03/13, i think it is the date of the production, march 2013. It has one year of warranty, so i wish to sent the item to the producer and dont open it.

Regards
Stefano

Hello,

i have bought it on EBay.com. It has a sticker on the plastic cover, with printed 03/13, i think it is the date of the production, march 2013. It has one year of warranty, so i wish to sent the item to the producer and dont open it.

Regards
Stefano

That is the best move, hopefully the postage will not be more expensive than the item.

Hello,

if someone is able to repair or is in good comunication with the oriental producer, i will sell this item (that is under warranty and not phisically damaged) for a few money.

Regards
Stefano

Have you tried a different AC adapter? The tiny ac adapter that I received with mine was DOA .. I didn't bother letting the seller know, I just grabbed another one from my stack (helps if you have 40 or so ac adapters hoarded ;) ).

Hello,

i will try with other AC adapters, but i think that there is a software (inside the IC) problem.
I have made some easy tests on the voltage regulators and all is OK.
All the LEDs are on why all the outputs of a cpld are down.

Regards
Stefano

Last edited:
i have another model, buy in china, i used for 6 gal, now blue screen on win7, but used on old pc with xp work fine

@ Vibros

If it's a USB device, I suspect that the 5v supply rail has fried somewhere inside the programmer, as the regulation of the voltage on the USB side of things may not be that good. If the 5v rail has failed, the device won't be recognised by the computer. You'll void your warranty opening it to check though. It could equally be the power rail from the AC adapter and it may be that the AC adapter isn't a voltage regulated one - not a good idea.

If you want to sell it as broken and you haven't got any joy from the manufacturer under the warranty, I am interested.

@ piacc64

That's a drivers issue. The Windows Driver Model changed when they went from XP to Win 7 so that older WDM drivers may not work. If you have an x64 version of Win 7, you could download Windows XP Mode from Microsoft and run the programmer in a virtual XP environment where the older drives will work. It's a clunky way to do it, but it works.

Last edited:
Hello Merlin,

your offer is very good! I wish to sell (but for a couple of euros + postage) if someone is able to repair this device: that is my target.
I will make clear pictures and i will check the cost of the postage, then if you are interested, i am very happy to know that this device will be repaired.

Best regards
Stefano

OK Stefano, you have a deal. (y)

Last edited:
Hello,

sorry for this late reply!
Here the pictures. I have replaced the original power plug with an european plug, but the mistake is not here.
Postage to EU contrys (with tracking), is about 13 Eur, if less i will refund you. If you wish to withdraw your interest, no problem, i understand. If someone is interested on this item, please add 2 Eur at the cost of the postage (as gift).

Regards
Stefano

Attachments

• genius_1.jpg
    genius_1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 0
  • genius_2.jpg
    genius_2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom