Status
Not open for further replies.

vibros

Country
Italy
Region
Emilia-Romagna
Hello,

i have dismount an old seagate hard drive that come from an A600, and i have cleaned the plates, then i have remounted it but i am not sure that the plates are exactly in the same position and with the original orientation.
I can have erroneously overturn it.
Is this a problem? Why the hard disk is no more recognized by the computer!

Regards
Stefano

Attachments

• DCP_5906.JPG
    DCP_5906.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 2
your not supposed to clean the plates.(platers)

it will never work again.

Hello,

i have dismount an old seagate hard drive that come from an A600, and i have cleaned the plates, then i have remounted it but i am not sure that the plates are exactly in the same position and with the original orientation.
I can have erroneously overturn it.
Is this a problem? Why the hard disk is no more recognized by the computer!

Regards
Stefano

It is time to say goodby to your hard drive. You need special clean room (not just tidy :) ) to open and work with hard drives and at home repair is hardly doable...Bet it is full of dust now even if you can not see it ...

I thought there must be some mistake but it seems not, this is the maddest thing i have heard someone try to do to a hard drive - I've got to ask how did you clean it?

PS this is Seagate's clean room

Seagate%27s_clean_room.jpg

You didn't really opened up the case..Tell me that you didn't!!

-=--=-.

On the competition of the most AWSOME post of the year please...

You, erm?
Sorry....
Oh dear..! :double

hdd's are closed with torque drives, You HAVE to tighten the screws to the MFR specific torque settings or you will end up with a clicking drive thats not recognized..

I am not saying that simply using the right torque settings will fix the drive, i am saying if you dont have them correct then it 99% of the time wont work because of that..

you could have other errors that mean it wont work as well. but you do need to tighten them to specific torque settings.

Aaarrrggh! Tell me you didn't really take the plates out of a drive to clean them??!! That's like taking a goldfish out of its bowl to give it a haircut! Neither is necessary nor has any chance of success. The drive is definitely dead.

Bryce.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJKxUPlhvZY[/m]

Hello,

OK, i have understood! But this is a modern harddisk with very little heads.
What hi have is a 40 MB hard drive with two plates and heads of about 2 mm.
My question is: if i overturn a plate, what happen?

Regards
Stefano

your not supposed to clean the plates.(platers)

it will never work again.

Why?

Regards
Stefano

I've got to ask, why did you think that something that is in an air-tight container would need to be cleaned?

The main reason that it will never work again is that you have now covered the plates and its chamber in dust. Even if the computer did recognise it, it would be completely unreliable if it worked at all.

Bryce.

Hallo,

i have forgotten to say that i have opened this device why it was with to many bad sector errors.

Regards
Stefano

Sadly, you cannot 'clean' bad sectors away.

If it wasn't before, this disk is now definitely just trash, I'm afraid...

Plus as far as I know the kind of dust if any accumulated and generated while the hard disk has been in operation is really small and volatile and if breathed may stay inside your lungs ... forever. Myth or truth?

anyway: read this Stefano

hdds arent really air tight they have breather holes. but regardless..
they are incredibly sensitive.
things are aligned and tightened to extremely small tolerances..

they are basically plates that get magnetic data stored on them (like a cassette tape really) but they are a lot more fragile than a cassette tape.

the best way to repair bad sectors is to use a program like spinrite or hdd regenerator.
these will actively try to recover the bad sectors.but wont always work (id say about a 40-60% sucsess rate)
other programs will flag bad sectors and tell the os not to use them, this is a method i do not like.

as for the hdd itself.
You CAN open them then close them back up with correct torque settings and thy should work even if you did it in your bedroom.. this does not mean that you should do that..
You could have a 100% healthy hard disk open it up.. look at it for 1 second not breathe or touch any part of it, close it with correct torque settings and it will work and be detected but now it has errors in some sections..
it could also be fine..
you cant however expect to strip it down to its componet parts. whip out a can of pledge/mr sheen and a yellow duster and start buffing it up..

the components arent just randomly placed in a hard disk with a "close enough" eye ball..
If you are lucky enough to strip it down put everything back together not use the mfr torque settings and the drive is actualy detected, then you are almost guaranteed to have errors on it and the drive would be un useable..

Imagine you have a 100 floppy disks. and they have games on them,
you then take them out of there protective cases and decided to clean the actual magnetic disk inside.
how many of those 100 disks do you think would then work without an error?
and that is just 1 very small low dencity low data capasity really basic platter. it has no motor no reading head..

like i said im not saying you cant open a hard disk and put it back together and it will still work.

but factors like
how long you had it open for "contamination"
how many things you moved/cleaned (contamination and tolerances)
not knowing the torque settings for the screws. (tolerances)
how you handled the items "contamination/tolerances)

any one of those factors can make it an instant paper weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom