A1200 Slot loading DVD :D

Neat cut there stevo, love it, might try one of these multi bays, hey bud the mechware site has been down for weeks,are they closed down now?

Edit*

Mechware has closed down

Hi mate, thanks for the kind words. I still need to get a metal rule and straighten it out, for that I need a wider file as mine are all narrow.

I think mechy sold out of all the card readers a while back anyway, I put up a 'wanted' thread here at Amibay to get mine :)

Wow Steve! This is one Awesome build! :D

I went through my own project photos etc to find some bits to help you with your CD eject button and CD mixer...

I found some pics :)

17022011978.JPG

This is the mixer I made for connecting delfina and Amiga native together. Just replace the delfina for CDDA :)

All the ground points can just be connected together. you can use simple 10K resistors for the + points or do what I did and find some 20K pots so you can fine tune the balance of audio to make it equal sounding. You might find CDDA is a bit quieter than native Audio so you will have to add more resistance to native than you do to CDDA. Start both at around 10K and use your ears to adjust as you want :)

22062010281.JPG

This is where I soldered my eject button (this pic also helped Merlin, so I hope it helps you too). Its normally similar on all these drives. Just find the right points like Merlin says.

I hope these help you :)

Keep up the awesome work! :thumbsup2:

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words my friend, means a lot coming from you!

Thanks also for the info, I will have to hook up the button at some point, once I get the DVD back in!

Thinking about getting Amigakit's new Sound Card when it comes out :)

Last edited:
Amigakit Soundcard? seems i've let that slip my radar! The only thing that i'm not satisfied with my A1200D is the PITA that is Delfina. Actually Delfina drivers. The card is technically awesome hampered by ass software that I wish Jens would return to and fix. Do you have any info on this soundcard? spec etc?

I thought about your power issue as well Steve. I really advise you solder some wires from your main PSU input to the floppy header, just to take the stress from your mainboard and more on the PSU if you decide to take power from the floppy. This should give you an idea of what to do

DSC_0284.JPG

Edit:

I think this is the soundcard?

http://www.a-eon.com/18-10-2013-2.pdf

If so it looks a bit unfriendly to a wedge :(

Last edited:
Hey Phips, yeah it's the Prisma, you can read more here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=52519

Novacoder has one to test so maybe support will be added in his ports, it's not a proper sound card like the Delphina though, more of a music player I think. But could be useful to take he load off the CPU in some situations.

I'd love one of the preludes but I think they must be like rocking horse dung.

Thanks for the pic, I'm powering everything direct fro the PSU right now but if I do use the floppy header once closing the case it will come in handy!

Hey Phips, yeah it's the Prisma, you can read more here:

https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=52519

Novacoder has one to test so maybe support will be added in his ports, it's not a proper sound card like the Delphina though, more of a music player I think. But could be useful to take he load off the CPU in some situations.

I'd love one of the preludes but I think they must be like rocking horse dung.

Thanks for the pic, I'm powering everything direct fro the PSU right now but if I do use the floppy header once closing the case it will come in handy!

i actually used to like the delphina's and toccata cards,its a shame there isent a run of these anymore.
or even the melody.
im not really all that keen on the new one.

I have a Toccata on my A4000 it's a great card, shame there isn't a clockport version for the A1200!

I have a Toccata on my A4000 it's a great card, shame there isn't a clockport version for the A1200!

yeah that is a real shame,i know the delphina and melody had a 1200 version i had a few of those,not bad really considering.

Check it out! Case closes :D

Still need to get a straight edge along the top but I'm worried about filing too much away, as you know filing is a one way thing, once it's gone. It's gone :coffee:

Attachments

• P1070096-1024.jpg
    P1070096-1024.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 0
Sort of wish I seen this before I did the cut out for my slim drive

I think this is neater than my one

Sort of wish I seen this before I did the cut out for my slim drive

I think this is neater than my one

got any pics? I can't take credit for the slot, mfilos did this and I got the case off him I'm responsible for the slightly untidy filing. Wonder what happened to this case, I really can't remember!

Yes sure

So I made two aluminum brackets and then wrapped in insulation tape just in case they touch something they shouldn’t

236dd58f03ee9ee6e449ed9cc12f8b94.jpg
e229e91c7c0cd623a6a7ecc2a48cadb0.jpg

I’m trying to use a fastATA III but having a few issues with it ever time I install the drivers it goes funny when the 3.9 rom update is loaded????? Black screen

436eb53e8650646477203934767f0272.jpg
db03c033872c770d61b2455730eff74e.jpg

Using the Amigakit angled riser but still think it is to high and that with me removing the original sockets and attaching it to the motherboard directly

Now for the case it’s self sadly the photos have shown me how bad me filing is think it got a bit of a smile along the bottom ha ha

762c15941750fe9b838ffb87ef9b7078.jpg
32f6a3596ebeeb3dc11e30895c1ebf84.jpg

And yes I’m still in my pajamas, enjoying my last few days of leave

Hello,

to everyone that wish to mod the A1200, you can steal my own idea: attach the slim reader to the metal plate of the keyboard! I found this idea very good! Look at some of my threads here on Amibay, to see pictures.

Stefano

Hello,

to everyone that wish to mod the A1200, you can steal my own idea: attach the slim reader to the metal plate of the keyboard! I found this idea very good! Look at some of my threads here on Amibay, to see pictures.

Stefano

Yep, I agree a good plan - I also attached my DVD drive to the back of the keyboard. :)

well the FastATA MKIII is being fussy it will only work in PI0 mode, any other Mode it goes black screen and HDD LED turns on constantly

it also doesnt seem to like some CF cards but only when the Amiga 3.9 ROM update is started very weird?

oh well but at least it is going but not has fast as it should be, seen this seems common with these from what I have googled

Last edited:
Tim, I think your mod looks decent. If you use fast ata you should disable the scsi device update of OS3.9

Edit the setpatch line to:

C:setpatch skipromupdates "scsi.device" quiet

- - - Updated - - -

Tim, I think your mod looks decent. If you use fast ata you should disable the scsi device update of OS3.9

Edit the setpatch line to:

C:setpatch skipromupdates "scsi.device" quiet

Make sure you load fast ata software before in the startup sequence

Cheers steve

I think that's in the startup sequence, will have a look tomorrow

Well at the moment still not letting me change the PIO modes but it is giving me the right SCSI version in HD-tools now which is a bonus (Thanks Fitzsteve)

so I’ve disconnected the Slim drive for the moment and I’m now seeing if I can setup another cf card using the Amiga and try again, So slow this way, I usually cheat and use WinUAE and set them up on there ha ha

A1200 Slot loading DVD ?

A1200 Slot loading DVD ?

So I found the problem.

The FastATA was damaged should of checked it better when I bought it many moons ago. Alarm bell should of went of with the fact it already has two repairs on it by the previous owner. Amazed the Amiga did anything at all.

So, Three pins on the kickstart rom socket have been broken away from the PCB tracks so here pic of one of my repairs

17aa0c99c9f100cf22d61da96e4cdfe0.jpg

Done all three and now it reads all my CF cards and I can get PIO3 now on them and even PIO5 on the Slim Drive

Last edited:
Nice. Pio3 is about right unless you're using a 266cf or SSD however you can still get issues above. I guess you're getting around 7mb/sec? That's almost 4x stock so pretty decent return.

Back
Top Bottom