Vampire 600 FPGA

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
This little beauty was delivered on Christmas eve as i was walking out the door to visit family! However I'm back now and I've just bolted in this great piece of hardware from majsta and kipper (thanks guys) - Quick delivery and extremely well built !

So to the test, my a600 had never been opened and was in fact an A300 version but never mind that. a quick heave ho with the screws out and pop the vampire over the 68000 and pop the two screws in.

here are some pics, I'm currently running a couple of demos and it seems to work well. i have odd graphic problems but this may need a little tweaking to sort out.

happy christmas

80mhz 68000 :)

i need to get 3.1 roms for it, i think i have some ...

mike

http://youtu.be/SkwQWA8HHnQ

Attachments

• IMG_1771.JPG
    IMG_1771.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1777.jpg
    IMG_1777.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1780.jpg
    IMG_1780.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1779.jpg
    IMG_1779.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1773.JPG
    IMG_1773.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1772.JPG
    IMG_1772.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Nice to see another vampire 600 installed cool piece of amiga new hardware thanks for your pics and thank to majsta and kipper toó Amiga4ever

What ROM do you have¿¿
I see 2.05
Enviado desde mi PF71 mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice Mike! (y) Remember to join the Vampire owners club over at EAB. ;)

What core are you running? The 1.0 or 0.1? Is it Vanilla OS3.1 or something else?

I'm currently running the 0.1 core. Probably should make a vanilla install while waiting for more stable 020 based core.

Last edited:
hi guys no ides, my roms are 2.1 standard but no idea on what core it is...

how do i check?

You'll probably need an USB Blaster for checking that. From your SysInfo I can see it's a 68k based core but it is faster than the 0.1 core that I've got. Haven't seen any news about core updates and Majsta's web page is malfunctioning.

What an awesome bit of kit! Someone needs to make something similar for CD32 :drool::drool::drool:

I have got my Vampire from Igor few weeks ago.
I have placed the "USB blaster" permanently inside the A600 (kick3.1+CF 4Gb), so I can upgrade the core without open the amiga.
Unfortunately I have a little problem because I can't reset my amiga (ctrl+amiga+amiga), and If I do so, the Amiga freeze itself and I need to poweroff.
Is it a common problem?
thanks

Here is my Vampire

Attachments

• Vampire3.jpg
    Vampire3.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Vampire4.JPG
    Vampire4.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
Mine resets OK with Ctrl-A-A and Vampire in place. Don't know if it's the USB Blaster what prevents you from booting. Great idea to put ot inside and just pull the cable out.

majsta's website is working now and a core update is available :)

So it seems. Well, it's still the 0.1 core that I already got. Didn't remember that it was five times faster than vanilla A600. Maybe it was the Chip speed that I remembered.

the v1.0 core runs at 100mhz ?

mine is 84 mhz or so , so i must have the 0.1 core ....ive just ordered a USB blaster so i can play with the cores :)

Last edited:
the v1.0 core runs at 100mhz ?

mine is 84 mhz or so , so i must have the 0.1 core ....ive just ordered a USB blaster so i can play with the cores :)

The 1.0 core is 020 based. In addition to speed you have the 020 features enabled. To my understanding, it's more unstable than the 0.1, which is newer despite the numbering.

Mine is underway as we speak from Kipper2k, I hope the 0.1 core is in that one also, but I will also order a Blaster to be ready for updates.

@cgugl

I don't think it's a common problem that the keyboard reset doesn't work but i have the same problem here. I have had the vampire for a while now but i have been running without the keyboard until now because i was too lazy to assemble it before i had the new kickstart rom i was waiting for. I'm running the 1.0 core on a rev 1.5 machine with 3.1 kickstart. I don't have any windows machine available ATM so i haven't checked with the other core.

@cgugl

I don't think it's a common problem that the keyboard reset doesn't work but i have the same problem here. I have had the vampire for a while now but i have been running without the keyboard until now because i was too lazy to assemble it before i had the new kickstart rom i was waiting for. I'm running the 1.0 core on a rev 1.5 machine with 3.1 kickstart. I don't have any windows machine available ATM so i haven't checked with the other core.

I wrote to majstorovic, He told me that it is a known problem of some A600. He has the same problem on his amiga600, and will be fixed in the next update:

@cgugl

Thanks for the information! Then i don't need to bother him.

@mjnurney something is wrong with that card. I think that you didn't push it hard on top of the socket. Anyway I don't know what core is in it because you have some strange readings if i can say.

Last edited:
Yes guys push card and use small screws to keep the card in place. Don't over tight, use spacers!
I have a300 mobo with gayle 01. Core 0.1 refuse to work, however core 1.0 works fine. There is something in CW 3.9 and ADV SP that current core doesn't like. I'm on Classic Workbench 68k and it's extremely nice and fast. I also use Better WB with NewIcons and that also runs fine. Better things still to come.

Back
Top Bottom