Not open for further replies.

Mohican

Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Country
Hungary
Region
Budapest
I have for sale a Roland MPU-IPC ISA card and MPU-IPC-T midi Breakout Box.

The MPU-IPC-T was not compatible with the MPU-IPC is card so I could't test together.
The card communicated with the BOB but I heard random samples.
I bought both as working but I'll sell AS-IS/untestested pieces.

1. MPU IPC ISA MIDI card

roland_mpu_1.jpgroland_mpu_2.jpg

Price is 40€ (< -44€ <- 50€) + Postage + Paypal Fees or Bank transfer (SEPA)

2. Roland MPU IPC-T Breakout Box /w manual (sold to diskers)

roland_mpu_3.jpgroland_mpu_4.jpgroland_mpu_5.jpg

Price is 8€ (was10€) + Postage + Paypal Fees

Last edited:
FYI: the PCB is a MPU-IPC and the BOB a MPU-IPC-T. I am not 100% sure those are compatible as a combo. I guess you will test that.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert in this field but I'll test with my MT-32 and we will see ;). Thanks mate!

The seller sent me a PM one / two weeks ago that the MPU-IPC card / MPU-IPC-T BOB combo does not work. I then suggested he consider buying a BOB. No response thereafter. :whistle:

Sorry mates, you are right, I didn't update the thread with my first experiences just in PM.
My test setup was a Pentium I/120Mhz with Roland SC-55 MkII. It sounded as random sample playback. When I changed the base address (by Midi player), I got error so it seems the card working or it or doing something ;).
For conclusion I need an MPU-IPC (without "-T") BOB and a slower machine that I assure a more compatible environment.

Last edited:
IMHO before It needs a perfect BOB for the card and after that we will get the exact answer in connection with preferred processor platform.

---------- Post added at 03:43 ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 ----------

... so I think it depends on softwares more.

Last edited:
I wonder if I am allowed to make a "near offer" here. For one of the items, or maybe for both.
This topic has been a while.

As for the random samples sound, are that blue capacitors marked X T A L (over the main Roland Chip) scratched on top or something, as seen on the picture?
Or that's the incorrect BOB guilty after all.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

MPU-IPCs work fine in 80286 machines as well. :)

_Only_ 286 machines and that's it?
May I ask if you are referring to this particular "MPU-IPC" or maybe the older "MIF-IPC" model? The latter were surely meant for the XT series if not marked as MIF IPC-"A".
Those marked as IPC-A are said to be stable with 386 series or around that.

Having this MPU-IPC working only with 286 series might not be too cool. Please clarify it a bit. Thanks!

I used a MPU-IPC (and MPU-IPC-Ts) in 8086s and 80286s and they worked fine. There is a MPU-IPC BOB for sale on eBay US right now (NJ). I have not tested a MPU-IPC in a >= 80386 so I am not sure. However: the MIF-IPC-A works fine in any ISA 5V (have not tested 12V PSU MOBO). :)

The best MPU-401 for later PCs is the MPU-401AT: it also works in V12 PSU MOBOs. The original MPU-401s were the MIF-IPC (one for sale on eBay Kleinanzeigen DE) and MIF-IPC-A. Those are nothing more than glue logic cards that allow the MPU-401 BOB (which is a mini computer really) to communicate with a PC bus (hence there are also MIF-C64, MIF-APL and other similar cards / cartridges). The MPU-IPC(-T) are from the late 1980s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom