Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Nordrhein Westfalen
    Feedback
    73 (100%)

Default Cloning an MIF ISA Card

Hi all,
    PeterNY was looking for someone to build him an MIF-IPC-A card here: http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=56345
    So I thought, why not? Nice mini project. All the details I need are there, just need to get the parts. This morning the last of the parts arrived, so I've set up this thread for Peter (and any one else who's interested) to follow the project. The parts can bee seen below. The PCB was ordered from the other bay from a guy in Thailand. The back-plate didn't come with the PCB, but luckily, the connector positions are exactly the same as a standard RS232 backplate, which are easy to find. So it will look like a proper card when finished, without me having to hack away at a blank back-plate.
    Unfortunately, I own neither an ISA PC nor an MPU thingy to test it with, so it's going to be a case of building it "blind" and sending it to Peter for testing. I've ordered enough parts to build two of them, so if Peters doesn't work, I can check my copy here, which might help to find the problem (I hope).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MIF_Parts.jpg  

Mega AmiMod
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Ioannina
    Feedback
    138 (100%)

amazing, please keep the pics coming Bryce
    Aacheron and slk486 are my heroes
    A1200D mfilos ed. : ACA 1231/42 , Indivision MK2 , IDEfix Express , Subway , PicoPSU 120w custom 3.9 ROM/OS

Looks great! I look forward to testing the first prototype. Thanks again Bryce!

Country
    France
    Region:
    Paris
    Feedback
    116 (100%)

Great project.
    I don't have any ISA PC but i do have ISA Amiga and bridgeboards: that could be a direct way of testing it for you.
    A4000/CSMKII60/C643D/Deneb/CatWeasel/A2386/STBNitro/SB16/MT32
    A500+/Viper520CD/KCSPowerPC

Mega AmiMod
    Staff Moderator
    Country
    Greece
    Region:
    Ioannina
    Feedback
    138 (100%)

^ you can't really test the card without a MPU401 Break-Out-Box and some midi synth connected to it , the BoB holds all the important stuff inside, the ISA card is a simple interface one
    Last edited by keropi; 8th February 2014 at 14:11.
    Aacheron and slk486 are my heroes
    A1200D mfilos ed. : ACA 1231/42 , Indivision MK2 , IDEfix Express , Subway , PicoPSU 120w custom 3.9 ROM/OS

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Nordrhein Westfalen
    Feedback
    73 (100%)

Due to a small boy (2.5 years old) who seems to think that my "raison d'etre" is to entertain him, it doesn't look like I'm going to get all that much done today. So here's a few pics of what's done. I've positioned the ICs (same positions as the real card here: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ZepyfIOh6Y...615_171440.png as I assume that they at least spent some time working out where the best positions for routing are) and I've wired up the GND to all ICs and have started on the VCC. I intend wiring all power on the lower side and all data wires on the top side.

Bryce.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MIF1.jpg   MIF2.jpg  

Talking

Looks great already! I have an almost 2 year old and a 4 month old son so I know how distracting that is.
    Last edited by PeterNC; 8th February 2014 at 14:55.

Country
    Germany
    Region:
    Nordrhein Westfalen
    Feedback
    73 (100%)

Quick update. It turns out that the back-plate I've shown above doesn't fit the card properly. Although the plate lines up perfectly with the 25pin and 9pin connectors, the plate is positioned too high on the card. However, it looks like a plate with a single 25pin hole in the centre will fit. I'll search one out from my box of PC scraps later and confirm this. Luckily I only need the 25pin connection

Bryce.

Excellent Sir. In case you need me to pick up super cheap PCBs on eBay and mail you 2 backplates let me know.

Country
    Poland
    Region:
    Maz
    Feedback
    66 (100%)

Hi guys,
    I know a company here that can make one or two layer PCBs from eagle format and as I remember well also from KiCad format at quite reasonable prices and in a quiet good quality as I have some midi modules this project seems quite interesting to me. Anyway let me know the exact dimensions of the PCB and I will ask the prices and the minimal order (I ordered from them one day a single layer PCBs and payed 12 or 15€ - they are counting at
    1 dm²).

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast